Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Fairy

12,375 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Gaia has undergone some drastic changes lately, but I believe these changes have always been there at the surface. Gaia has followed a somewhat natural business progression: In '03 they were a small business looking for donations and help from people who believed in the good they could produce. A couple years later, donations gave way to product. They realized the importance of maintaining a loyal consumer base within the service they offered and cash-related items became much more important.

It's very hard to sustain a large website with a mostly-free userbase and concept. We saw the introduction of gambling items, encouraging great rewards for the lucky. But even this isn't enough when a product reaches market saturation. At which point you have to convince the users you already have to continue to invest for all of the players involved. At some point this comes with a detriment to the initial concept, but is arguably required to maintain your diverse community.

With the recent changes, do the things that keep you coming back fit in with the apparent new plan for Gaia?
Right now? I'm watching the results of the chaos that Gaia unleashed on their own community through their own greed and ineptness, mostly. The rest is helping others and attempting to get my gold back from this event.

Dapper Darling

Destroying the market economy and alienating the loyal userbase that has sustained your site where others failed in order to pay imaginary server costs is not "maintaining your diverse community".

I check-in to keep up to date on pending art commissions and to order more. That's it.

Feral Sweetheart

Their customer service has made me question if I really want to ever spend money on this site again. It's been atrocious! From rude developers to site announcements totally overlooking what everyone is actually upset about to re-re-re-re-re-releasing a hated product. It's awful! Why would I support such bad customer service? I don't put up with it for my phone, cable, restaurants, etc, why should I for a FORUM site?

If they changed their customer service, I wouldn't mind supporting them, even if it meant more GC items. But their rude/ignoring behavior has to change in order for me to spend a dime more on the site.
I keep asking myself why I keep coming back more and more these days.

Then I remember that many people find my devart RL commissions from here and it's all good again cool

I guess I'll be good until they disallow art shops and/or links to deviantart.

Lavish Lunatic

I've been on a short hiatus because of my health and I was basically just checking up on things. I was curious and wanted to talk to some friends.
I've been here for about a week and I'll probably leave again in a few days.

And what I've seen happening a few months ago is getting worse and worse.
Gaia hasn't gotten my money in a loooong time. And all I think when I see them so desperate for cash, is that this site is raking in as much money as they can before the site goes black.

Gaia no longer has my support, simply because I cannot see how this can be a durable business strategy and because it shows a great disregard for their customers.

So yeah, I don't fit in gaias new plans anymore because I refuse to pay for anything and I have adblock for a reason. I only come back for nostalgia sake.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

welll

...it was the event and zOMG stuff.

I'm a stubborn crotchety old person full of habits

Questionable Shapeshifter

sweatdrop I'll be going for a hiatus after this event...the diverse community ain't so diverse anymore. Even the events now just screams 'cash cash cash' and 'coin coin coin'.

Magical Pumpkin

Before this week I hadnt been on gaia since about christmas time. I was pretty happy to be returning for the halloween event but honestly its just left a sour taste in my mouth. Im not even sure if ill hang around for the end.

Profitable Prophet

First and foremost, I come for the community.

That said, plenty of friends that have jumped ship for other sites, while others stopped participating in site activities. The fewer active friends, the less reason I have to stay.

Destructive Bunny

The drama does keep me entertained, while I wait for my last few art orders to complete :3

Tricky Saint

Like a car accident you can't look away from, my curiosity is fixed at the recent turn of events.

I'm usually a very patient and lazy Gaian who doesn't see the point in needlessly extending my energies and sourfacing at this place and its changes.
But goddammit, Gaia.

dancing_ice's Fangirl

My brother has one last commission to finish, one last item for me to collect. Then I'd take a break.
True, I can always change the art price to keep up with the inflation, but that's like contributing to the hyperinflation in my own way, I freeload off my brother's commissions as it is, so yeah... gonk

Jolly Codger

I hang around for events which isn't working out for me right now and to see just how much farther down the road to hell Gaia will go before I can't stand to watch anymore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff