Welcome to Gaia! ::

Every super power tortures. To believe that they do not, or that America is the only one........is pure ignorance.

Its been an extremely effective way to gain information for hundreds of years.

Timid Wife

pretty_red_xo
Every super power tortures. To believe that they do not, or that America is the only one........is pure ignorance.

I would say it depends on what the torture is specifically.

Gaining trust in a deceiving way is one.

The other is smacking up a woman in the interrogation room while being super nice to the guy the most effective.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
pretty_red_xo
No, it really hasn't. It's been employed as if it were, but it's well-known that rapport-building techniques are a more reliable method for acquiring information, as the person to whom the screws are being put has no perverse incentive to lie in order to make the torture end or to lie in order to provide what the torturer wants to hear. False confessions are a very real phenomenon which police departments acquire using low-level torture techniques such as isolation and sleep deprivation quite regularly.

Torture's a REALLY GOOD way to kill prisoners who have otherwise expressed an intention to cooperate, though. As, for example, in the case of Iraqi General Abed Hamed Mowhoush, who walked into our custody voluntarily and was ultimately smothered to death by an over-zealous soldier. (Read more here.) In a testimony to how much we value smothering prisoners inside sleeping bags wrapped with electrical cords, the guy got a couple months of barracks confinement instead of a dishonorable discharge and three years in prison.
"Its not torture! Its enhanced interrogation." At least that is what Sean Hannity would have you believe... I wish that I could formally challenge all of these high ranking conservative assholes to be water boarded to see if they would still support this barbaric nonsense. I can not say that im surprised though because this stuff has been going on long before the events of 9/11. I dont really think that it is being denied by most of the government that we torture people at this point. I will say that Obama most likely has nothing to do with this but who could know for sure? He certainly was not the head of the nsa although I certainly do think that reinstating the patriot act was a very very very horrible decision.

Noob

Are we really shocked by this? Of course it is.
Terrorists, murderers, human traffickers, & rapists all DESERVE the sentence of: Life in Torture!

Timid Wife

pretty_red_xo

I like watching the "Don't Judge Challenge" of female military personal.

Fuzzy Strawberry

pretty_red_xo

it's actually counterproductive in the vast majority of cases, as it provides detainees an incentive to confess to crimes they did not commit and to fabricate information the government is asking them to provide - information they very rarely have in the first place. torture forces people to make things up on the fly to get it to stop.

i also really wouldn't say every superpower state employs the use of torture. at the very least, many of them don't enforce it as a norm.

The Intellayman

president obama probably isn't told about most of this, the cia operates many of these detention centers with the president's general approval but they aren't operated with obama's sovereign word. that way the cia operates more or less independently when they do interrogations.

Timid Wife

elf rights activist

it's actually counterproductive in the vast majority of cases, as it provides detainees an incentive to confess to crimes they did not commit and to fabricate information the government is asking them to provide - information they very rarely have in the first place. torture forces people to make things up on the fly to get it to stop.

War is ********. All over.

To say otherwise is nonsense.

Torture has one purpose: to scare.

Torture is not used by American mil to get information.

I know an MI, who doesn't torture.

He does interviews.

On location.
The Intellayman
"Its not torture! Its enhanced interrogation." At least that is what Sean Hannity would have you believe... I wish that I could formally challenge all of these high ranking conservative assholes to be water boarded to see if they would still support this barbaric nonsense. I can not say that im surprised though because this stuff has been going on long before the events of 9/11. I dont really think that it is being denied by most of the government that we torture people at this point. I will say that Obama most likely has nothing to do with this but who could know for sure? He certainly was not the head of the nsa although I certainly do think that reinstating the patriot act was a very very very horrible decision.

You better revise that comment, as you have quite a few high ranking democrats who ALSO knew and condoned those techniques, and ONLY raised hell after it got out to the public about it.
So yeah, both sides were complicit in this.

Timid Wife

Old Blue Collar Joe
The Intellayman

You better revise that comment, as you have quite a few high ranking democrats who ALSO knew and condoned those techniques, and ONLY raised hell after it got out to the public about it.
So yeah, both sides were complicit in this.

I've heard stories from Gitmo guards.

Torture isn't the norm for information.

Torture is used in anger, spite, and to cause fear.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff