Welcome to Gaia! ::

Source

Many Americans shopping for better health insurance deals promised by the two-week-old Obamacare system are instead being slapped with rate shock, including savings-sapping deductibles and co-pays, according to multiple reports from around the country.

For some able to get the problem-plagued Obamacare website to work, the so-called “deals” the system is coughing up around the country include $12,600 deductibles, co-pays of up to 40 percent, zero competition, and rate hikes of 260 percent.

The huge cost increases that some Obamacare applicants are seeing are feeding the effort in Congress to change the system and delay implementation until January 2014.

"This is why we've been working so hard to dismantle and repeal this bill, so that we can begin to pass step-by-step reforms that transform the health care delivery system by putting patients in charge, giving them more choices, and reducing the cost of health care so that more people can afford it,” said Tennessee Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander.

The top Republican on the Senate health committee has collected several official and media reports of the Obamacare horror stories Americans have encountered so far. They include:

-- A $12,600 deductible. CNNMoney reported that one family “found a bronze-level plan for roughly $357 a month, after their subsidy, which they could swing. But it comes with a $12,600 family deductible.”

-- Enormous rate increases. A research group found that a 30-year-old male nonsmoker “will see his lowest cost insurance option increase 260 percent.”

-- Some who already buy their own insurance are receiving cancellation notices -- and offers for expensive new policies. The Christian Science Monitor reported on a North Carolina family who had been buying Blue Cross and Blue Shield insurance for $380-a-month. “BCBS is offering them a new plan for three times the cost, $1,124.50 a month, still with an $11,000 deductible,” reports the paper.

-- A California couple said that the Obamacare policy suggested to them included a 40 percent increase in their doctor's office co-pay. “Our co-pay skyrocketed from 0 percent to 40 percent and the maximum out-of-pocket increased an additional $2,300,” according to a letter in the Fresno Bee.

-- Kaiser Health News found a lack of competition in some pockets of the country. “Eighteen percent of counties have only one insurer offering plans and 33 percent of counties have only two insurers competing.”

— There is little uniformity to premiums charged around the nation. “For instance,” Kaiser also reported, “Cigna is offering 50-year-olds one of its midlevel plans for $614 if they live in Flagstaff, Ariz. That same plan, contracting with different hospitals and doctors, will cost $428 in Phoenix and just $395 in Nashville.”

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Yeah, when I heard about this on the news earlier, I rather knew the insurance companies were hiking up their prices - and they don't care if the people trying to sign on are people who are working minimum wages at 30 hours a week (hours having been deliberately cut by certain corporations like Walmart so they won't have to take any responsibility in offering any insurance and share the costs).

This is NOT what Obama had in mind!!
Nyadriel
Yeah, when I heard about this on the news earlier, I rather knew the insurance companies were hiking up their prices - and they don't care if the people trying to sign on are people who are working minimum wages at 30 hours a week (hours having been deliberately cut by certain corporations like Walmart so they won't have to take any responsibility in offering any insurance and share the costs).

I doubt Obama or congress read it. Remember the writer of it was an insurance lobbyist. This bill is more like the forced car insurance bill in states. Everyone has to get it or else.
It all depends on where you live. It depends on what the rules and regulations where before the ACA in your state, if your state created their own exchange, if your state expanded medicaid and many other factors. Here in New York most people are getting lower rates and deductibles are low. This is because we used to have some of the highest rates in the country due to the fact that many of the regulations implemented in the ACA we already had.

Now let me go through each instance reported in this.
- Here's the thing also, that family will NOT pay that much money. Wanna know why? There is a limit on the annual out of pocket costs outlined in the ACA. That deductible actually exceeds that limit. Plus, $357 is EXTREMELY cheap for a family. My father pays over $900 for his family of four and that's with his work paying half of the expenses. Then there's the fact that this is how deductibles work. If you don't want a high deductible then pay higher premiums.

- Uh...duh. That was known a very long time ago since there is a new rule that an insurance company cannot charge someone a different rate based on their sex. This is also dependent on where you live. Seeing as NY already had that regulation, there is actually a decrease in premium cost for a 30-year-old male nonsmoker.

- That family needs to go look through the exchange. They may end up actualy paying less than they used to.

- They have more than one option to choose from. That 40% increase is only one option they have.

As for a lack of competition, that's why I think we should have forced health insurance companies to participate in the exchanges.

As for different prices for the same insurance depending on where you live, this is also a duh. Different doctors and hospitals charge different things. Therefore a procedure costs different amounts in different places in this country. So of course prices will be different.
Nyadriel

It's only in some places. I'm not surprised that some people are running into issues like this. But we can't judge just based on some people having issues. Here in NY everything is fine and rates are lower than normal. More people have access to insurance. The issue is that in some places people who would be eligible for Medicaid cannot get it since their states refused to expand the program. These are the people who will have the biggest issues and it's not the ACA's fault.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Mei tsuki7
Nyadriel

It's only in some places. I'm not surprised that some people are running into issues like this. But we can't judge just based on some people having issues. Here in NY everything is fine and rates are lower than normal. More people have access to insurance. The issue is that in some places people who would be eligible for Medicaid cannot get it since their states refused to expand the program. These are the people who will have the biggest issues and it's not the ACA's fault.

Man, I remember in previous discussions of problems, you were arguing "that'll never happen under ACA."

Now that it has, you've changed your story to "Ok, yeah, but it's not ACA's fault."

You see the iceberg in the rearview, heard the hull shear when you hit it, and see the water starting to come in under the door to your stateroom, and still you maintain that she's unsinkable. The denial that human beings are capable of just amazes me sometimes.
Keltoi Samurai
Mei tsuki7
Nyadriel

Man, I remember in previous discussions of problems, you were arguing "that'll never happen under ACA."

Now that it has, you've changed your story to "Ok, yeah, but it's not ACA's fault."

You see the iceberg in the rearview, heard the hull shear when you hit it, and see the water starting to come in under the door to your stateroom, and still you maintain that she's unsinkable. The denial that human beings are capable of just amazes me sometimes.

I highly doubt I said that exactly. I try to stay away from absolutes. I was probably speaking of on average. Which, on average, things are better with it. There will, of course, be some people who will run into issues. There always are with everything. What matters is what happens on average and/or to most.

Some of the issues aren't the ACA's fault. Unless you think the ACA should have forced states to expand Medicaid or forced insurance companies onto the exchange. Then you can say all the issues are the ACA's fault.

What denial? I do not deny that some people will have higher rates and run into issues and I never have. I have stated in the past as such. I KNOW I have talked about the fact that healthy young men will be paying more on average. I also know that I have pointed out that the states refusing to create their own exchanges or expand Medicaid will have issues as well.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Thanks, Obummer.

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
Now just imagine if Republicans hadn't killed the public option.

Actually, strike that.
Imagine if Republican controlled states weren't going out of their way to ******** over the ACA in every way they can.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Divine_Malevolence

Actually, strike that.
Imagine if Republican controlled states weren't going out of their way to ******** over the ACA in every way they can.

They just did it again. We were on the verge, according to day's news (just a few minutes ago on CBS) to have this all solved. Congress was on the verge of an agreement that did not include anything about ACA.

BUT, the Republicans suddenly pulled out the ACA issue and tacked it on last minute! Whole thing is busted!

meanwhile, in two days, if the Government does not reopen those agencies that are shut down, America will lose it's Triple A accreditation and the Federal Government will lose it's ability to borrow money to pay all of it's bills. This means America will default on some of it's bills and we WILL end up in recession in the next few months.

Distinct Member

Nyadriel
Divine_Malevolence

Actually, strike that.

They just did it again. We were on the verge, according to day's news (just a few minutes ago on CBS) to have this all solved. Congress was on the verge of an agreement that did not include anything about ACA.

BUT, the Republicans suddenly pulled out the ACA issue and tacked it on last minute! Whole thing is busted!

meanwhile, in two days, if the Government does not reopen those agencies that are shut down, America will lose it's Triple A accreditation and the Federal Government will lose it's ability to borrow money to pay all of it's bills. This means America will default on some of it's bills and we WILL end up in recession in the next few months.

OMFG, it's starting to piss me off. Aca may be god awful, but good lord, defaulting and a recession will hurt a lot more. -headdesk-

Devout Worshipper

YahuShalum
Nyadriel

I doubt Obama or congress read it. Remember the writer of it was an insurance lobbyist. This bill is more like the forced car insurance bill in states. Everyone has to get it or else.

YAY!!! Someone with Intelligence!

Dangerous Prophet

8,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I hate forced insurance. We need to come up with a new system rather than trying to prop up the old one.

Sky2235's Husband

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Nyadriel
Divine_Malevolence

Actually, strike that.

I...er... what? You are aware the debts we owe we owe at interest right? SO! You are seriously arguing that we pay off our debt in interest by borrowing more money at interest? You are aware that does nothing more than put us FURTHER in the hole right and does nothing to... you know HELP us? What do you want to do next, borrow more money that we may pay more in interest? That is incredibly asinine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REP-snJpSE

Sky2235's Husband

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Divine_Malevolence

Actually, strike that.

burning_eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1yTY2MciOk

ACA was created to be a disaster, get your head out of Obama's A**.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff