Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Man-Lover

Rorrim Rory Bludworth
Steady Ride
In all honesty -- once upon a time, I always laughed at threads like this.
Now? I can believe it.

I've stuck by Gaia through thick and thin since joining in 2003. I've always been the 'devil's advocate' when it seemed like people were being too picky against the website they obviously ELECTED to remain on. I've loyally bought donation letters since 2004 and enrolled in autocash the instant it was available.

It no longer feels like a donation or even like I'm helping the site by paying money. None of the things I love (guilds) get attention. None of the issues I've had (alchemy) get fixed. My money falls into a sinking, sucking vortex that only wants more, more, more.

They're just squeezing out as much money from us as they can before they jump ship to their new site.

Thirteenth Bilge rat

29,025 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Rorrim Rory Bludworth
Doom Lemons
User Image

The popup is NOT a scam. It is a poor copy-paste job. The one above is the original, and it IS 70% off.

This popup is not the one I received? I received one informing me that the Crystalline Velvetine item is 70% off at a $50 price.

I know. I think they're basing it all off this. I think there were two popups, and they just use it as a form. It's still stupid, though.

Dear Demon

It is pretty amazing, this site is making bank off of literally nothing.
I wonder how long before MMO developers see what is going on here and attempt similar setups. Hell, this is worse than Diablo III's real money auction house. At least on there you had a chance to sell a rare item to net both you and the game developers a chunk of change.
Doom Lemons

I know. I think they're basing it all off this. I think there were two popups, and they just use it as a form. It's still stupid, though.

Well, that changes them from being INCREDIBLY dishonest to only being MOSTLY dishonest when it comes to artificially inflating item values so they can do wildly overpriced backdoor "concierge" sales to desperate people.

Frankly, I can't tell if the popup thing was a mistake or not. I have no faith in Gaia's administration left.

Thirteenth Bilge rat

29,025 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Rorrim Rory Bludworth
Doom Lemons

Well, that changes them from being INCREDIBLY dishonest to only being MOSTLY dishonest when it comes to artificially inflating item values so they can do wildly overpriced backdoor "concierge" sales to desperate people.

Frankly, I can't tell if the popup thing was a mistake or not. I have no faith in Gaia's administration left.

I'm quickly losing it.

Timid Cat

15,225 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
This entire site has turned into one huge money-making scam. The people running it now have zero integrity. I think that's become quite obvious at this point. All we are to them is a group of suckers they can manipulate into spending money here. I'm sure they're just laughing at us.

CoIdbird's Wife

Tiny Bunny

13,400 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Object of Affection 150
Reallllly think this is a ploy to milk the site before it shuts down i dont think the CEO really cares what we think imho.
Cinibunny
Reallllly think this is a ploy to milk the site before it shuts down i dont think the CEO really cares what we think imho.

Having seen how utterly tonedeaf Gaia's upper management are to the users over the years (See: cigarette fiasco, alchemy's unrolling, survey that calls people 'fatass'), I don't think it's a case of milking the site till it's gone.

I think they honestly don't think the userbase are smart enough to realize when they're being scammed with this gold inflation scheme.
With only being a member on Gaia for nine months, the gold inflation even annoys me. Items being sold 10x what they're actually worth. It just seems like Gaia is trying to ruin their 'economy.'
And Gaia Cash? Hell, I'm never paying for that. But I'm getting highly annoyed that everything I get now is advertisements for buying GC.

I 100% support this thread.

Magical Lunatic

Rorrim Rory Bludworth
Doom Lemons
User Image

The popup is NOT a scam. It is a poor copy-paste job. The one above is the original, and it IS 70% off.

This popup is not the one I received? I received one informing me that the Crystalline Velvetine item is 70% off at a $50 price.

I received the same, twice.

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
Rorrim Rory Bludworth

I think they honestly don't think the userbase are smart enough to realize when they're being scammed with this gold inflation scheme.

And as much as I hate to say it, I think that they're right.
At least so far.

Despite all of the Topics all over the SF and GCD decrying the current state of affairs, I'd bet a week's salary that Flynn's Booty and all of the various and sundry Cash Sale Items continue to sell briskly.
Let's face it, we as users have absolutely no idea of how well the current business model is working for Gaia because we have no access to the books, but I honestly doubt they'd be continuing along this path if it wasn't generating revenue at a rate that makes putting up with our complaints worthwhile.

The current agenda appears to be to generate as much revenue as is humanly possible, period. No other considerations exist from what I can tell, and until the current strategy ceases to work to their satisfaction, they'll keep running with it.

In my opinion, it's a bad strategy and one that will come back to bite them on the a** sooner or later, but it's obvious that no one at Gaia is currently looking any farther into the future than the next Cash Shop release.
Glen da West
Rorrim Rory Bludworth
Doom Lemons
User Image

I received the same, twice.

I've received three I think, but they pop up each time I log in.

Valiant Jackling

Rorrim Rory Bludworth
Doom Lemons
User Image

And the stupid Runicable Spoon for $10, when it was actually $5 when it came out rofl

It's not even like it's an old item! It's, at most, a year old! And I don't even think it's that old.

Deadly Sex Symbol

14,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
Rorrim Rory Bludworth

Narumi was given a quota of cash that he has to meet by the executives. He's not going it on free will.

O.G. Nerd

Rorrim Rory Bludworth
Cinibunny

Having seen how utterly tonedeaf Gaia's upper management are to the users over the years (See: cigarette fiasco, alchemy's unrolling, survey that calls people 'fatass'), I don't think it's a case of milking the site till it's gone.

The cigarette fiasco was small potatoes compared to this - a misstep quickly corrected. It was also a different CEO at the time. The current situation, my god, tone-deaf is too generous. If the cigarette thing happened now, they'd say, sorry, we didn't realize you loved this item despite the fact that it gives you internet cancer, but since you do... you can have it back for a small price of 2000 Gaia Cash! What a deal!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff