Welcome to Gaia! ::

lately on my stream i've been playing some pretty obscure fighting games. Most of the ones I've found are Famicom games. The Yu Yu Hakusho games on Famicom are fantastic. One that i REALLY didn't expect was this Sailor Moon S game. It is far more solid than i would expect a game for girls to be. cancels, cross-ups, desperation moves. if you get the chance, hunt the rom down. anyone else have any games like that?

Dapper Dabbler

I remember that Sailor Moon S one. That was fun!

I think the Psychic Force series, Cardinal Syn, Battle Arena Toshinden, Eternal Champions, and Poy Poy seem obscure to me too.
Tenkohime

I think the Psychic Force series, Cardinal Syn, Battle Arena Toshinden, Eternal Champions, and Poy Poy seem obscure to me too.

i'll have to look into some. what where they on?

Dapper Dabbler

God Of NRG
Tenkohime

i'll have to look into some. what where they on?
Cardinal Syn and the first PF games were on the Playstation and the last PF games were on the Dreamcast. Battle Arena Toshinden was for the Gameboy. Eternal Champions was on Sega CD IIRC.

I thought Psychic Force was original as far as fighting games go. You could fly around, you could sacrifice your health to charge your special bar, and when you unlocked the bosses, you could actually play as the bosses, not as a weak version of them like in other fighting games. When you played the bosses in story mode, the other characters actually came to you and treated you like the final boss. I liked that. The main thing I disliked about it was how hard it was to use any moves. I understand why this was done, but dang, hitting a bajillion buttons to stop time is hard. But since you're stopping time, after all, it probably shouldn't be easy. XD

I liked how the stages of Cardinal Syn were weaponized, so you could kill people with them, but I disliked how unbalanced it was. Once you unlocked Syn, there wasn't any reason to play as anyone other than her, because she was a ridiculously OP dragon.

Battle Arena Toshinden surprised me, because I wasn't expecting much out of a Gameboy game. It's not a bad weapon fighting game at all and being able to win with ring outs is nice too.

Eternal Champions kind of reminds me of a Capcom or SNK game, because of how absurd the cast of playable characters is. But I like that. I remember playing as the alchemist all the doggone time. It also has weaponized stages. Now that I think about it, I think I just have a weak spot for stages you can kill people on. They're awesome. Yesss. mrgreen

Steadfast Defender

Tenkohime
Battle Arena Toshinden surprised me, because I wasn't expecting much out of a Gameboy game. It's not a bad weapon fighting game at all and being able to win with ring outs is nice too.

I played BAT:Remix on Sega Saturn. Ellis and Duke was where it was at for me. Anywho....

A lot more people know of Red Earth now, but it's probably the least known of all of the few CPS3 games Capcom ever published. If you ever get the chance to give it a go, it's... fairly interesting.

Also, don't play Chaos Breaker. Gawd. ;_;

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Super Cosplay War Ultra - It's freeware, the site went down a few months ago and the only available link I know of for the most recent version is in the description of this video. I suggest checking out the videos of this uploader if you want a ton of obscure "doujin" (indie) stuff; they primarily focus on fighters with a couple Chinese ones here and there.

MindArms - freeware: http://diced.jp/~tryef/
Vanguard Princess - freeware
Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel - Super Famicom (usually shortened to Gundam Wing: Endless Duel)
Gundam Battle Assault 1 and 2 - PSX (the Japanese versions are questionably inferior)
Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed Destiny - GBA (the US version is inferior, it's even included in this as an unlockable)

I'm not sure if the Touhou games like Hisoutensoku or the Melty Blood series would count as obscure, since they do have quite a following, but they're rarely mentioned on this site.

Bryagh's Significant Otter

Virtuous Man-Lover

User Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dark Rift. It's essentially a darker themed Soul Edge knock-off for N64, but it's surprisingly fun to play and feels very original for being an obvious clone.

Then you have Mace: The Dark Age... This is an even darker themed Soul Edge clone that copied Mortal Kombat's fatality system... and it's, again, actually a -very- fun game to play. I'd say I genuinely like Dark Rift and Mace -more- than the earlier Soul games.

Power Rangers also has a few genuinely fun fighting games. Nothing miraculous or award winning, but plenty enjoyable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
User Image

Interesting Codger

2,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Arcana Heart is the most obscure I've ever played, probably. At least it's the only good one I've played that might be considered obscure.

I really freaking love Arcana Heart, even though I can't play it for s**t. x.x

Clean Rabbit

5,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
I'm going to try my hand at EF-12 for the PC...apparently everything about it can potentially be user-customized. Although it's been recently released, I could see this quickly becoming a sleeper obscure hit if done right.

As for established obscure fighting game franchises...Rival Schools. Played Project Justice once at an arcade long ago and loved it. No luck finding a legit playable version since then though.

Lady Lunatic

I remember playing a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers fighting game for the SNES. I can't remember the name of it, but it was with all the Zords haha. Actually wasn't that bad, but one character (I think it was Lord Zedd) was kinda broken.
Fun fact about Battle Arena Toshinden for Saturn: the music files are perfectly accessible right on the CD. I believe they're in mp3 format onboard, though it could be wav or midi; it's been a while.

Obscure fighting games... Tech Romancer (Choukosenki Kikaioh) on Dreamcast would be my first choice. 3D mecha fighting game with mecha designed by Studio Nue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDLQGYt7PjU
A gameplay sample for y'all.

There was also a Gundam Wing fighting game called Endless Duel on SFC that was pretty solid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vywM1GzRb0s
What about Fighting Vipers? that thing even had PEPSI MAN in it! s**t was AMAZING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK6FEiNVjjM

Had that Early VF feel to it as well. You can get Icons for it in other sega brand games I reckon.

What about Bloody Roar? the VS that launched a thousand furries? Not that its that bad but it still makes me chuckle.
Not sure what you consider obscure, so I'll just throw out some names, take em or leave em.

Waku Waku 7
Double Dragon V (not a good game, but maybe worth trying once or twice for laughs)
Weaponlord
Last Blade
Bushido Blade
Tobal
Plasma Sword
Asuka 120%
Super Dragon Ball
Project Justice
There's also a couple Touhou fighting games out there. I forget what they're called though.
melty blood?
Roager
Not sure what you consider obscure, so I'll just throw out some names, take em or leave em.

Waku Waku 7
Double Dragon V (not a good game, but maybe worth trying once or twice for laughs)
Weaponlord
Last Blade
Bushido Blade
Tobal
Plasma Sword
Asuka 120%
Super Dragon Ball
Project Justice
There's also a couple Touhou fighting games out there. I forget what they're called though.
there are some in your list I wouldn't really call obscure. But it's a shame how many people that don't know some of those great ones. The Touhou games are great by the way. And I'm not sure I would consider any dragon ball game obscure. Maybe just not released I'm the states.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff