Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Phantom

Alexander Gideon
I also really really hate Nora from the Hush Hush series. I... Really can't even get myself motivated to read the next book.

D: Just don't read it. From everything I've read about that series, people shouldn't be spending time and money to read it.

Oh and I didn't like anyone in Wuthering Heights. Made it really difficult to get through that. sad
I also couldn't stand most people, including the main character, in Special Topics in Calamity Physics. Which is why I am certainly not going to read the author's current new novel.
Anjoulie

Oh and I didn't like anyone in Wuthering Heights. Made it really difficult to get through that. sad

I didn't even get through that book I hated everyone that much. My main reaction to Bella Swan though was meh. There just wasn't enough character to hate.

I really started to dislike Katniss by end of the Hunger Games books. That entire 3rd book is just...ugh

Magnetic Phantom

Casandara
Anjoulie

I didn't even get through that book I hated everyone that much. My main reaction to Bella Swan though was meh. There just wasn't enough character to hate.

I really started to dislike Katniss by end of the Hunger Games books. That entire 3rd book is just...ugh
I'm stubborn and I kept thinking that maybe something nice will happen before the end. I was disappointed and so miserable throughout the whole thing.

I haven't read Twilight. The whole phenomenon kind of passed me by and by the time I realized it existed,
I considered reading it for the comedic value ... but then I decided I'd rather read books I might actually enjoy for being less dumb.
There are too many good books to waste time with things like that.

Oh I haven't read the Hunger Games books either btw. wink

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
My fiance runs into this all the time. Like in house of night she hates zoey and most of the characters so she usually only reads the parts of the characters she likes.

Witty Raider

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
Casandara
Anjoulie

yeah hunger games just ....Made me depressed a the end .

Witty Raider

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
I was reading Fahrenheit 451 before the House of Hades came out. In Fahrenheit 451 the wife is irritating pretty sure she’s going to get her husband burned alive in the end for having a book. He should have just let her die in the first few chapters don’t call the suicide watch just let her kick the bucket. Poor montage not sure if he really loves her or not or if he’s ever been in love with her. I do relate to the people who are hording books away.

Divine Nymph

12,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I don't really hate many characters, but I did really dislike Tessa from The Infernal Devices.
GAH. I could go on and on about how useless she seems to me.
Anjoulie
Casandara
Anjoulie

I'm stubborn and I kept thinking that maybe something nice will happen before the end. I was disappointed and so miserable throughout the whole thing.

I haven't read Twilight. The whole phenomenon kind of passed me by and by the time I realized it existed,
I considered reading it for the comedic value ... but then I decided I'd rather read books I might actually enjoy for being less dumb.
There are too many good books to waste time with things like that.

Oh I haven't read the Hunger Games books either btw. wink

I usually end up picking up books that I've heard people go on about for months. Curiosity and all that. Though I do make an effort to borrow rather than buy them and I'm glad I did for those YA ones. Popularity is a puzzling thing to me.

Magnetic Phantom

Casandara
I usually end up picking up books that I've heard people go on about for months. Curiosity and all that. Though I do make an effort to borrow rather than buy them and I'm glad I did for those YA ones. Popularity is a puzzling thing to me.

I'll probably never get a book based on hype again, not after the one I mentioned above.
I had to slog through that and even afterwards didn't understand why that book had gotten the author such a huge advance and all that media buzz.
Now I also have a long list of books I would like to read at some point.
Anything new would have to jump that cue so I'd have to be really interested in it for that to happen. ^^

Dapper Explorer

8,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Team Edward 100
I read The Selection not too long ago and didn't much care for the main character but I thought the book was interesting enough. By the time I got about half way through the second book, The Elite, I hated America and her waffling so much that I couldn't finish the book. She put me off the entire story and I ended up just looking up what happens on Wikipedia. I never leave a book half done but I couldn't stand her any more. I didn't even care which guy she chose at that point I just wanted her to make a freaking decision.

Sparkly Dabbler

9,600 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Sinann of Erin
The Princess Diaries. I eventually gave it up when I hated all of the other characters, too. She whined about everything and she thought she was this fantastic writer, and she was not.

I have to agree. When I was younger and read the books I liked them but I kind of lost track of what book I was on every time I went to look for the next one and dropped off reading them. Couple years later I decided to read the books I had again for old time sake...Mia annoyed me so bad. I pretty much spent the entire time reading it going,"Why did I like this series in the first place?", and getting irritated with Mia and her whining.

Destructive Genius

11,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
AppleSpiceKat
Sinann of Erin
The Princess Diaries. I eventually gave it up when I hated all of the other characters, too. She whined about everything and she thought she was this fantastic writer, and she was not.

I have to agree. When I was younger and read the books I liked them but I kind of lost track of what book I was on every time I went to look for the next one and dropped off reading them. Couple years later I decided to read the books I had again for old time sake...Mia annoyed me so bad. I pretty much spent the entire time reading it going,"Why did I like this series in the first place?", and getting irritated with Mia and her whining.
Teenage characters are either really interesting, or really annoying as adults, and neither of them are unrealistic. The problem is when the writer forgets to add all of the parts of being a teenager that let the person grow into a tolerable human being and keeps that parts of being a teenager that were awful.
xtigsx
so just curious how many people have run into this problem ? Have you ever hated the lead characters ,but couldn't put the book down ?

Venus of Dreams, by Pamela Sargent. The protagonist is a complete idiot with no redeeming traits what-so-ever. Which wouldn't be bad, but all of the other characters treat her like she's the second coming of Jesus.

Intellectual Mage

7,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Actually, I have the same thing with the Mortal Instruments, now that I'm re-reading them. None of the characters are that interesting to me, and Clary, as practically everyone has mentioned, is annoying. But I love the mythology and world that's created, so I keep reading them. xp

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
meg version two
I dislike any character that is an obvious self-insert of the author. This occurs in most YA novels about young girls meeting interesting boys.

dont even get me started on cassandra ******** clare just look her up

This

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas