Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
In a story that I am writing, a character is transported into an alternate dimension. Her friend is part of the ruling family in that alternate dimension, (dubbed AD) and is pulled into it purposefully. At the moment the friend is pulled into the AD they are touching, so she gets pulled along with her friend, and ends of in a strange forest in the middle of nowhere. They should have been pulled to a city, but her being in the transport when she wasn't supposed to be threw it off.
How should I write that?
How would her friend react?
Her friend has the whole "I belong here" feel, and they are both dizzy and confused from being transported to the AD.
What would you say in a situation like that? Other than where are we.
Also how should I describe the scenery from the dizzy confused P.O.V?

Pure-hearted Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'm gonna try to help you out.

The reaction should probably have a tiny bit of the original 'Where are we?' part, and like most people, start to explore where they are. If the friend has a homey feeling she shouldn't immediately blurt it out. Give it a couple pages/chapters if they're still wandering around or found a person or people.

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
Thanks for the help! Also, the AD is magical, with fairies and such things, and so are they, so they have powers and such things.
Any advice on where to put that? I don't want to introduce it too soon.

Premium Gaian

OhmyNERMBERS
Thanks for the help! Also, the AD is magical, with fairies and such things, and so are they, so they have powers and such things.

In my opinion, if you're going to try and introduce that..I would suggest that before being transported to the AD, there should have already been some kind of sign of the two having those magical gifts. Or otherwise, it just seems like sloppy writing. Like it just got slapped in there out of nowhere. Youcan go with the stereotype idea of, 'I always felt different from other people, and now I see I am.' Beucase it does honestly, kind of sound like that to me.

And I can only think of a cliche on how to introduce them ahvign powers..So you could go with the old thing of someone sensing the powers in them. Or even, becuase they are in that land of magic, their powers can start really showing. Like them starting to be able to do things, that they never realised they could do before.

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
One of their powers is astral projection, so, like have her get knocked up and then walk out of her body?

bunniechan7's Waifu

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
I would personally treat the friend who "belongs" there but ended up in the wrong place with her friend kind of like someone who has taken a wrong turn in a city they usually know well - they're lost and probably frustrated, as that's not normal.

As for the astral, that depends on which has it. If the friend who "doesn't" belong is the one with this ability, maybe the first hint is after they land. Perhaps her first view of the forest is from above it, or just below the branches and obviously still too high for someone to be standing - then she wakes up on the ground of that oddly-familiar forest and either thinks she dreamed that or that they somehow floated to their spot.

At least, that's where my thoughts went with it.

If the friend who "belongs" has the astral, I'm less certain how to display that.
Sounds like you need to develop the characters and storyline a little bit more to come up with an answer.

Why would the friend feel 'homey'? How are they/what type of person are they normally?

Why do they have powers? (Both story reason and why you gave them it). At what point in the story do these powers actually come into the plot? Why would their powers suddenly come to light as they do? Do they only have powers in this dimension, or did they always have them?

Keep asking questions and try to think things through. It may help you come up with some cool ideas for the story.

Celestial Spirit

OhmyNERMBERS

First of all, if the one girl doesn't belong there, why does she get powers at all? Just because she entered the AD? If that's the case, I'd go with the scenario where magic only works in the AD, and not in our world at all, which would put both girls at the same starting point. But if you really want the friend to have a power beforehand, that wouldn't bother me.

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
Sianserais
OhmyNERMBERS

First of all, if the one girl doesn't belong there, why does she get powers at all? Just because she entered the AD? If that's the case, I'd go with the scenario where magic only works in the AD, and not in our world at all, which would put both girls at the same starting point. But if you really want the friend to have a power beforehand, that wouldn't bother me.

The one who doesn't belong there, she, as a sort of plot twist, does, but she wasn't supposed to come to the AD so early, she was supposed to come at like, age twenty or something, but she hitched a ride on the person who was getting pulled in at the time, so I was going to have her have powers, but her friend's will be more advanced from the beginning.

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
OhmyNERMBERS
One of their powers is astral projection, so, like have her get knocked up and then walk out of her body?

Knocked OUT. sorry.

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
Kairi Nightingale
Sounds like you need to develop the characters and storyline a little bit more to come up with an answer.

Why would the friend feel 'homey'? How are they/what type of person are they normally?

The friend, I've chosen to name her Kimberley, feels like she belongs there, as she was purposefully pulled into that world, and the people who pulled her in kind of planted it in her.
She is normally very reasonable and responsible, and doesn't really act out of her normal behavioral patterns.

Kairi Nightingale
Why do they have powers? (Both story reason and why you gave them it). At what point in the story do these powers actually come into the plot? Why would their powers suddenly come to light as they do? Do they only have powers in this dimension, or did they always have them?

They have powers because they each come from a family in the AD, and in the story, their families are magic and magic is transferred by blood. I gave them the powers because the differences between which powers they received from their families creates a lot of tension, and ends up with one of the characters almost getting killed, which is very important to the story line.
Their powers aren't all that important, actually, the importance is how they got them and from which side of the family they're on.
They're powers come to light all of a sudden, because there is a certain sort of drug in the AD's atmosphere that reacts with magic and kind of brings it to the surface, and also prevents aging.
They didn't have powers before going to the AD, but if they go back at the end of the story, they will still have powers on earth.

Kairi Nightingale
Keep asking questions and try to think things through. It may help you come up with some cool ideas for the story.

Celestial Spirit

OhmyNERMBERS
Sianserais
OhmyNERMBERS

The one who doesn't belong there, she, as a sort of plot twist, does, but she wasn't supposed to come to the AD so early, she was supposed to come at like, age twenty or something, but she hitched a ride on the person who was getting pulled in at the time, so I was going to have her have powers, but her friend's will be more advanced from the beginning.

Hm. If you don't mind my asking, why are they in our world in the first place, and why do they have no memory of their own?

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
Sianserais

Hm. If you don't mind my asking, why are they in our world in the first place, and why do they have no memory of their own?

They're here, because the magic in their blood is carried down from their human parents, so they're descended from the AD's people, who came here a long time ago, and had kids with a human.

Witty Nerd

... okay, but what pulled the two to the world? Did the friend 'accidentally' cast a spell? Was the friend pulled there for some strange reason and the MC just dragged along? How does whoever called them to the world react when they don't appear in the city? Keep asking yourself questions, like Kairi said, and you'll be able to flesh out the story a bit.

Back to the questions in your original post, your characters would probably be confused, shocked, and scared. Think about how you would feel if you went to bed and woke up in a forest, that's probably how your characters would feel. How they react would be dependent on their personality ( in the friend's case, she might freak out, not show it, and try to figure out where she is ).

As for capturing the scenery from a dizzy confused scenery, describing little things and expanding on them would be for the best. They're dizzy and confused so they won't notice every little detail, but they'll probably notice the major stuff like there's trees and they don't seem to be 'home' or wherever they were before they got pulled into the other world. It might be a good idea to have the girls' thoughts ramble on about what they're seeing, when people panic their thoughts begin to 'race'. Again, ask yourself how you/your characters would react in this situation and then write about these reactions.

As for being stuck and wondering how to continue, yes to describing where they are, and have a little mental map ready of where they are. When they begin to explore the forest, what do they find? Is there a village around? Is there anyone in the forest with them? Are they alone? Are there evil forest creatures waiting to eat them? Ask yourself questions like that and you should be able to figure out a way for the characters to move out of the forest and onto the next stage of the story.

( It might not be a bad idea to jot down an 'outline' for the major plot points in the story. That way you have a general idea of what is happening and what the scene is moving towards. )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff