Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey there!! smile I I am interested in applying to the Ryerson Fashion programs in Ontario, Canada (Fashion Communication and Fashion Design) . Well I have some questions regarding the admission and portfolio requirements, which are not answered on Ryerson's website. I know this is lots of questions!! I don't expect to have them all answered, it is a way to sort out my thoughts. But if anyone could answer some or all of the above questions, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone wink !
Here are the questions:

1. How much of the application is based on marks and the portfolio? What is the percentage weight?
2. Do they look at your grade 11 marks? What is considered as the "real" good range for grade 12 marks (Despite what is indicated on the Ryerson website)?
3. Do they put emphasis on certain courses you take in grade 12 (E.g. visual art), or do they look at how I did overall (E.g. other subjects like marketing, chemistry, nutrition)?
4. What type of student do they want? Do they emphasize on extracurricular activities and variety of volunteer opportunities?
5. Generally what do they want to see in your portfolio pieces? Creativity, thinking out of the box, variety?
6. For the photographs of the garments that I create (we need to take photographs of the garment we made displayed on human figure/model), do they look at photography and composition, make-up as well?
7. Do I include a fabric swatch for the illustrations we create?
8. Presentation of work?
9. Do they want well-developed computer aided design skills? Or basic skills are fine?
10. Is there an interview?
11. What is the difference in emphasis for the portfolio for comm. and for design? What should be reflected in each different portfolio?
I am a high school student
Hey there smile I'm actually going to Ryerson for the Creative Industries program this coming fall. I don't know much about what they look for in portfolios, but I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. Just wondering, are you from Canada?

1. Ryerson has two fashion programs: Fashion Communication and Fashion Design. I don't know what the differences are or what the programs entail, but they both look very similar and they both require a portfolio, resume, and an essay. If you're from Ontario, then you your prerequisites are 4U English and a 4U or 4C math course. In those classes, you should get decent marks. I think Ryerson will look more at your portfolio, but since the university only admits around 90 people per year, competition will be tough and I think that's when Ryerson will take into account higher marks.

2. Ryerson will look at your grade 11 marks for early acceptance before January/February. For me, Ryerson did not have my first semester grade 12 marks yet, but they saw my grade 11 marks, which were high enough to grant me an early conditional offer. Though, your grade 12 marks count in the final decision. My conditional offer stated that I needed to maintain an overall 80% average and a 75% in English, which isn't much, but like I said, competition is tough, so you'll want to get the highest marks you can. Four your grade 12 average, I think you should try to get around an 85% or higher. Remember, only your top 6 marks will be looked at and they should include those math and English prerequisites.

3. Like I said up there, you need an English and a math in your top 6 highest marks. As long as you meet the conditions of the offer, then you should be safe. For example, if your offer states that you need at least an 80% average, then even if you get an 81% average, you should be fine.

4. You'll probably mention your extracurriculars and work experience in your resume and essay. Just make yourself sound good, but not cocky.

5. I don't know. I think they tell you what sort of things they want to see in your portfolio. I know that if you're submitting articles of clothing that you made, they want you to take a good picture of them. Like, you have to have a mannequin or a model and put the clothes on it and take a few pictures of it in a white background or something. No lazy clothes on bed pictures.

6. Oh, oops, I didn't read this question when I answered #5. Try to keep a clean, simple composition. I don't think they'll care about the model's face, but try to find an average person and don't know, make sure they have a clean appearance.

7. I don't know.

8. I don't know. There might be an interview?

9. I think there are courses in the program that will help you develop your computer and design skills.

10. I think so.

11. I don't know, but if you're in Ontario and you go to the university fair in downtown Toronto this fall, then Ryerson will have this book with a description of all their programs.

Here's some links that might help you:

Electronic Info: Fashion Design

Electronic Info: Fashion Communication

Ryerson Calendar: Fashion Programs If you click on "BACHELOR OF DESIGN (FASHION COMMUNICATION)" and "BACHELOR OF DESIGN (FASHION DESIGN)", you'll see what courses you take each year for the programs.

Good luck smile

Thank you very much for your help!!! biggrin Yes, I am from Toronto, Ontario. Umm...Just last bit of question xd . For early acceptance in Ryerson Fashion programs, what is considered a decent average in grade 11? Conditional offer applies to early acceptance only or all kinds of offer from any universities are conditional and dependent on your marks until the end of grade 12?
biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
Oh, I'm so sorry for the late reply! For some reason, I didn't see any notifications from this post.

To answer your questions, I think you'll get an early acceptance offer if you have around an 85% average in grade 11. Early acceptance offers like the one I got from Ryerson aren't a big deal; they just come one month before Ryerson sees your first set of grade 12 marks. Early acceptance offers are usually conditional offers because Ryerson hasn't seen your grade 12 marks yet. Basically, if you get an early/conditional offer, you want to maintain similar marks to those you received in grade 11.

Erm, about your second question... Just be sure to meet the conditions of your conditional offer when you finish grade 12. If your grade 12 marks are good enough, you will just get a general offer of acceptance without any conditions listed (I think). For example, I also applied to the University of Toronto for Arts Management. I got a letter from them in... April-Mayish telling me that I got accepted and that I just needed to have a minimum 70% average.

All offers are based on your final top 6 grade 12 marks.

I'm from Toronto, too! If you have any more questions, you can PM me and I'll do my best to help you. I can also tell you about uni life at Ryerson once school starts, if you want.

EDIT: If you're applying for a program that requires supplementary stuff like Fashion Design, Image Arts, or Radio and TV, then you might not get an early offer at all. This is because you have to submit all those portfolio things first before you get an offer.
Thank you so much!! I hope you will have a great university life and good time studying!! smile

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Hi how are you. I forgot some of the things you told me.Can you write the things you told me crying .
Hi! For the things you forgot, do you mean the questions I posted in this forum or other members' reply? ^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff