Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Giver

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
Update Here.

Well as a mom-2-b I would like to see if anyone has any views on breast feeding.. whether it's in public, private, how long of women breastfeed for... or anything of the sort...

The thing is my mother-in-law is the type of person that told me to just breast feed for one month and put them on formula cause apparently feeding them for a long period of time is just stupid... yeah.

I may breast feed for a month due to the fact I have to get back on my mental medications cause I cannot function very well without them. ;-; sad i know but whatever makes my moods stable I'm up for it.

But anyways, the most ridiculous length of someone breastfeeding their child I've seen was up to 8 years old.. I thought to myself, "why the hell? . . . -facepalm-"

So tell me, in your own words, how do you feel about it, how long is best to BF, and/or your views on formula use or whatever that may be relevant to the subject.

Please be mature... don't make me come through the internets and spank you with a paddle. XD lol I'm kidding but please be serious. <3

Questionable Giver

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
1 month? tittie milk is good for them. feed them that until they are good for that awesome gerber stuff.

if they can drink milk from animals and chew, they don't need the tittie.

as far as i hear, formula isn't particularly great for babies, but tittie milk sure is.

as for where, i don't personally see any issue with breast feeding a baby just about anywhere... just not in a restaurant. it's just impolite to pop a tittie out when people are trying to eat.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
logan the god of candy
1 month? tittie milk is good for them. feed them that until they are good for that awesome gerber stuff.

as far as i hear, formula isn't particularly great for babies, but tittie milk sure is.

as for where, i don't personally see any issue with breast feeding a baby just about anywhere... just not in a restaurant. it's just impolite to pop a tittie out when people are trying to eat.

And if they use a feeding blanket to cover themselves, is it still considered a no-no?
Mrtyu-Mara
logan the god of candy

And if they use a feeding blanket to cover themselves, is it still considered a no-no?

if people want to imagine what is going on under a blanket, that's their own damn choice. it still might offend some people, but the logic is that they are in fact undressing you with their eyes of their own volition. it's like a hemophobe complaining that things that have blood are near them and should leave.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
I'm not bothered at all by breastfeeding. Go with whichever feeding method works for you guys and for however long is right for you. If anyone gives you flak for it, screw them!

Invisible Citizen

16,300 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
yup, like the above poster said, go with which ever you prefer and convenience for you.... 3nodding

i myself breast fed all my kids ranging from 5 1/2 months(no 5) to 3 years (no 8 )...
i don't mind people feeding their kids in public as long as they cover themselves but i never do that....if i have to, i'll look for changing room, otherwise, i just went home...

good luck to you ^-^

Questionable Giver

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
I'm not going to quote EVERYONE because I already done that in a previous thread... but as a whole, I thank you guys for your opinions. ^.^

put some thought on that.

Shameless Fairy

Pandora Riddlebox
I'm not going to quote EVERYONE because I already done that in a previous thread... but as a whole, I thank you guys for your opinions. ^.^

put some thought on that.

Breast milk is chock full of enzymes that are great for brain development that they can't synthetically make with any reliability for formula. Not to mention is releases hormones in baby and mom that increase bonding and can actually help keep new mothers from developing post partum depression and other birth related mental illness. If you only want to do it for a month, make sure to pump after every feeding so you can have a nice little supply stocked up to help move baby to formula, since it is going to react differently in the belly. I suggest starting wtih formula for one feeding a day when you are done breast feeding, do that for a couple days, then go up to two, etc, until your baby is fully on formula. That will also help keep you from feeling engorged, which is the most difficult part of stopping breast feeding.
Not a huge fan of seeing it in public honestly. I know it's natural and all that jazz, but it still grosses me out. The whole concept of breastfeeding grosses me out really. If you do do it please have a feeding blanket or something, I don't want to see your boob.

Lonely Fatcat

i personally would sit in the car or a (nice smelling) restroom or somewhere private yet still in public to breastfeed, or carry your own milk in a bottle? i don't find it offensive in public but some people can be rude about it i'm sure.

Questionable Giver

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
Bestios
i personally would sit in the car or a (nice smelling) restroom or somewhere private yet still in public to breastfeed, or carry your own milk in a bottle? i don't find it offensive in public but some people can be rude about it i'm sure.

yeah, my fiance would not prefer me to do it publicly cuz if someone looked at me the wrong way, he'll end up knocking someone out. >.<

But hey that's what the pump is for.. right? XD

Lonely Fatcat

Pandora Riddlebox
Bestios

yeah, my fiance would not prefer me to do it publicly cuz if someone looked at me the wrong way, he'll end up knocking someone out. >.<

But hey that's what the pump is for.. right? XD

indeed lol
I am a huge supporter of breastfeeding. It's good for the infant's immune system and helps facilitate the mother-child bond. Also, as much as formula companies would like you to believe their product is just as good (or purportedly"better" ) for your baby as breast milk, it can cause gastrointestinal distress. Nothing beats breast milk for a baby.

As far as how long to breastfeed, that would be a better discussion for your pediatrician. I personally Don't think you should ween until the baby is ready to try solid (chewable) food. Of course some women have a problem producing enough milk. There are ways to jumpstart lactation, you'll just have to do some research.

And when it comes to breastfeeding in public, just remember that it's not a crime. It's not indecent exposure and its entirely natural. There are special blankets you can buy specifically for breastfeeding or a burp rag works just fine. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff