Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello, I'm interested in learning the BASIC programming language.
Would any of you know of a good book for learning the language, or better yet of a good place I could learn it for free online?
Votre Ami Jessica
Would any of you know of a good book for learning the language, or better yet of a good place I could learn it for free online?

Basic, no. But if you want to learn Visual Basic, there's a youtube channel, thenewboston, that goes through the language pretty well. However, he only goes over the language. Not proper programming technique or anything like that. For that, you should go to siwon's website. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I'm sure he'll be here soon to post it.
Dudironimis
Votre Ami Jessica

Basic, no. But if you want to learn Visual Basic, there's a youtube channel, thenewboston, that goes through the language pretty well. However, he only goes over the language. Not proper programming technique or anything like that. For that, you should go to siwon's website. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I'm sure he'll be here soon to post it.
TheNewBoston has got to be the most pants-backwards retarded s**t ever to infest Youtube. The kid couldn't code his way out of a wet paper bag and has no right trying to teach something he doesn't understand at all. Please never suggest that tripe s**t again.

Votre Ami Jessica
This is the guide Sitwon and I put together that has the best resources we can find to teach not only how to program, but how to be a programmer.

You'll note, however, that BASIC does not appear on the list. Good BASIC resources are few and far between, an the language is really quite sub-par. Visual Basic especially has problems in that its syntax is extremely limited and gets in the way of thinking about what your program is doing, far more so than most other languages.

If you really want to learn BASIC, Visual Basic.NET is, unfortunately, the only modern BASIC dialect that has any practical utility. This is one of the few half-decent tutorials out there, (and here is Microsoft's free IDE that includes VB.NET) but you will not learn much that's actually practical from that tutorial.

If you want to learn how to program, use our programming guide.

Wealthy Capitalist

6,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Big Tipper 100
Votre Ami Jessica

What variant of BASIC? Is this for school?
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
Votre Ami Jessica

TheNewBoston has got to be the most pants-backwards retarded s**t ever to infest Youtube. The kid couldn't code his way out of a wet paper bag and has no right trying to teach something he doesn't understand at all.

Really? I watched about 10 of his Java videos. I got what I needed out of them.
Do you have any suggestions for C++ videos? I can't sit and read a book due to my ADD.
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
Votre Ami Jessica

TheNewBoston has got to be the most pants-backwards retarded s**t ever to infest Youtube. The kid couldn't code his way out of a wet paper bag and has no right trying to teach something he doesn't understand at all.

Do you have any suggestions for C++ videos? I can't sit and read a book due to my ADD.
No. There aren't any good C++ videos. C++ isn't a language that can be taught in such a bad format.

There are some good videos on some interesting new C++ tools or language developments (Herb Sutter's "Atomic Weapons" talk comes to mind), but videos that actually teach the language don't exist.
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
Votre Ami Jessica

No. There aren't any good C++ videos. C++ isn't a language that can be taught in such a bad format.

There are some good videos on some interesting new C++ tools or language developments (Herb Sutter's "Atomic Weapons" talk comes to mind), but videos that actually teach the language don't exist.

I found some videos from someone named Barbara Hecker and some from Stanford. Those wouldn't be any good?
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
Votre Ami Jessica

I found some videos from someone named Barbara Hecker and some from Stanford. Those wouldn't be any good?
I've heard of Barbara Hecker, and she seems to have a clue about programming. But her videos would not be a good resource on their own. In fact, her C++ course seems be be based on a book that you need to read to follow her. She even says so in her first C++ video.

Edit: I take that back. Her C++ video covers the dialect of C++ prior to its standardization. If you want to learn C++, stay away from those videos. C++ has changed a lot, and her examples probably won't compile. Also, she demonstrates using Dev-C++, which hasn't seen an update in 8 years and which no one should ever use, under penalty of death.

Stanford is generally well-regarded, but again, the lectures are very hard to follow without the textbook and course notes.

Yes, you are going to have to sit down and ******** read to learn C++. And avoid any book published before 2003. All C++ books published before 2003 contain a lot of ancient crap that modern C++ either deprecated a long time ago or is now outright illegal and won't compile. Most of those books also contain untested examples that didn't compile when the book was new.

So not only are videos generally bad for learning C++, but there's a lot of other bad resources out there to avoid.
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker

I've heard of Barbara Hecker, and she seems to have a clue about programming. But her videos would not be a good resource on their own. In fact, her C++ course seems be be based on a book that you need to read to follow her. She even says so in her first C++ video.

Edit: I take that back. Her C++ video covers the dialect of C++ prior to its standardization. If you want to learn C++, stay away from those videos. C++ has changed a lot, and her examples probably won't compile. Also, she demonstrates using Dev-C++, which hasn't seen an update in 8 years and no one should ever use it, under penalty of death.

Stanford is generally well-regarded, but again, the lectures are very hard to follow without the textbook and course notes.

Yes, you are going to have to sit down and ******** read to learn C++. And avoid any book published before 2003. All C++ books published before 2003 contain a lot of ancient crap that modern C++ either deprecated a long time ago or is now outright illegal and won't compile. Most of those books also contain untested examples that didn't compile when the book was new.

So not only are videos generally bad for learning C++, but there's a lot of other bad resources out there to avoid.
I can use a book as a resource, but I can't just sit down and read a book. Over ~12 hours I only got through three chapters of C++ Primer Plus
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker

Edit: I take that back. Her C++ video covers the dialect of C++ prior to its standardization. If you want to learn C++, stay away from those videos. C++ has changed a lot, and her examples probably won't compile. Also, she demonstrates using Dev-C++, which hasn't seen an update in 8 years and no one should ever use it, under penalty of death.

I can use a book as a resource, but I can't just sit down and read a book. Over ~12 hours I only got through three chapters of C++ Primer Plus
That's an extremely rapid pace. Each time you read a bit, try what you learned. Pace yourself.
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker

That's an extremely rapid pace. Each time you read a bit, try what you learned. Pace yourself.
The first two chapters were mostly review. A LOT of it was trying to understand pointers because he seemed to mess up on one part and it confused me.
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker
Dudironimis
psychic stalker

The first two chapters were mostly review. A LOT of it was trying to understand pointers because he seemed to mess up on one part and it confused me.
Well, there's actually a video for that. Watch Buckland explain them. Pointers seem to be a tricky topic for a lot of people.
plain basic is obsolete.
visual basic is the way to go now.
ANDREWSBD
plain basic is obsolete.
Visual Basic is evil, if you have to go Microsoft specific or .NET related use C#.
The20
ANDREWSBD
plain basic is obsolete.
Visual Basic is evil, if you have to go Microsoft specific or .NET related use C#.

what about java?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces