Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm getting a new laptop and I'm looking at either a 13in Macbook Pro or a 13in Samsung series 5 or ultrabook. Which do you think would be better in the long run?

Bashful Lover

i think it also depends on the use you have for it or how much $ are you willing to spend on it

or when are you gonna get it.. i saw people request help for computers they wont buy until 6-12 months ahead
If you are a gamer, I would suggest a PC, particularly a gaming desktop. Otherwise Apple works really well, considering it's good for graphic design.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Lord Akhenaton
If you are a gamer, I would suggest a PC, particularly a gaming desktop. Otherwise Apple works really well, considering it's good for graphic design.
All of the software you can get on a Mac will run equally well, if not better, on a PC.

@OP: It really does depend on what you want. If you want physical build quality and a bad a** battery life, go with the Macbook. Lenovo is a damn close second (and even may top Apple's laptops depending on what you consider to be good in both regards). If you want benchmarks, you'll have to sacrifice battery life. If you want cheap, you'll have to sacrifice both. If you only want portability, get a netbook or tablet.

But for overall user experience and customer service satisfaction, personally I'd suggest the Macbook and buy Applecare. Trust me. With the prices they normally charge for out of warranty services, it pays for itself on the first use. Hopefully you don't have to use it more than once or twice, but you never know.

Omnipresent Pyromaniac

12,300 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PC. PCs can multi-thread better, and macs are more for pissing around with painting tools and movies.

Wealthy Capitalist

6,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Big Tipper 100
rbrtpc
I'm getting a new laptop and I'm looking at either a 13in Macbook Pro or a 13in Samsung series 5 or ultrabook. Which do you think would be better in the long run?

It depends on your use case:

If you are a graphic designer or other computer aided art major, a Mac is likely your best choice.

In all other cases, get a PC.

I see you have also selected a high quality PC to compare the Mac too. This is important. Often people will compare a cheap PC to a Mac (all of which are expensive) and end up running into problems. These are often due to cheap hardware.
michaelaisgreat
rbrtpc

It depends on your use case:

If you are a graphic designer or other computer aided art major, a Mac is likely your best choice.

In all other cases, get a PC.

I see you have also selected a high quality PC to compare the Mac too. This is important. Often people will compare a cheap PC to a Mac (all of which are expensive) and end up running into problems. These are often due to cheap hardware.

Didn't some Mac series have issues with expanding battery cells?
Anyways..

I believe all software that a mac has can be installed on another brand of laptop or computer and will work just as fine.

Perhaps just buying the software you would use in a Mac would prove way cheaper

Gallant Knight

8,700 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Personally i have never been a fan of Mac. I think a PC would be your best bet.
Supertaquito
Didn't some Mac series have issues with expanding battery cells?
Briefly, but it was an industry-wide problem. A large number of Lithium-polymer cells from a couple of companies - one of which was Sony, as I recall - were defective. Dell, Apple, and several others were victims of exploding batteries, and there are a number of videos of laptops catching fire. It all stemmed from the same couple of suppliers.

Things have changed a lot since then, and better overcharge protection has been added to the battery charge circuitry in those laptops.
Get a PC. Mac is generally overpriced, and not worth it.
It depeds on your taste of using the computer, your purpose and the cost that you can afford purchasing the computers, so take everything under consideration and then make up your mind regarding those factors.
PC will always be objectively superior to Mac. The kind of PC you want depends on your tastes, though.
PC, Apple overprices everything they "produce".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff