Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Lunatic

Does anyone have someone Bi-polar in their family...
How do you handle/deal with them?
I treat them normally, the world doesn't change because they have a mental disorder. But in saying that, I am ever present to support positive changes in their lives.

Tipsy Prophet

I'm bipolar and my husband doesn't engage my symptoms, really. Often times, my mania presents with anger. He just does his best not to acknowledge it, especially if it's over trivial things (stubbing my toe, etc). If I'm in a more charateristic mania, he reminds me to calm down and collect my thoughts because he hasn't a clue as to what I'm trying to say. Or that no, I can't save the world all by myself. He assures me that I can accomplish great things, but some of it is just impractical and the mania talking. When I'm on a down swing, he just does what he can to keep me looking up and not to get bogged down in the swamp. Extra cuddles, extra funny movies, and just letting me go off and cry when I need to without hounding me about whats wrong. Other than that, he treats me as he would anyone else and that's why I married him.
My boyfriend is bipolar. It's different to deal with, but it doesn't make him any less loving. The best thing I can tell you is to have a great deal of patience, and try not to take everything they say personally (especially when they are dealing with Mania).

Also, asking how one should deal with it almost makes it seem like you have a problem with the person. Proper treatment can make bipolar people seem very "normal" in public settings.

Original Wrangler

My grandma is bipolar, I do not notice anything unusual or different about her. She's kind of quiet, though, and really likes elephants. I just treat her the same as everyone else.

Magical Senshi

I have Bipolar Disorder and I'm pretty normal now since I take meds for it, but I just have outlets to help me control it, like play tennis or draw and listen to music. A lot of Bipolar people are successful in life. c:
Bipolar people need a lot of support and love to get through the manic stages.
I'm bipolar, and I know when I'm behaving irrationally even if I can't stop it. But my boyfriend has zero idea and just thinks I'm being stupid, he doesn't understand that it's a disorder and tends to just get angry at me for overreacting or being irrational. And then he starts being condescending, which is worse.

I've tried explaining it to him, I have a degree in psychology so you'd think he'd believe me when I tell him. But no, he's ignorant and obviously knows best...

I used to be medicated, many moons ago but I hated it. I can generally manage it myself, and I level off and slip back into rationality within 24 hours. (Which then typically means I owe some apologies for my behaviour.) But I've found exercise is a good outlet, running sorts me out good and proper when I'm feeling angry or upset.

Original Gaian

8,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I'm Bi-polar and my husband is incredibly patient. I am truly grateful. He tries to handle it as it comes. We are currently without insurance and cannot afford medication. Often times when the depression part of it hits hard I try to isolate myself. I can be a terrible, terrible person when I swing downward. My husband treats me normally. When I have a really bad swing downward he is there for me. He urges medications we cannot afford and forces me to talk to him. I had gotten used to having no one to talk to and for a very long time believed I brought it upon myself. He taught me I didn't, and as much as I HATE it sometimes, him forcing me to talk when I don't want to has helped. I look forward to the day we regain insurance. Despite the bullshit that is my brain I'm still a person. I'm not saying it's not hard, there have been crushing swings. I don't feel bad for myself, I feel bad for my husband. I cannot imagine having to watch my spouse as he has had to watch me.
I've just been diagnosed with bipolar (I'm only 20). The best thing for me when I feel a spell of depression or mania is to have a plan. Get depressed: do something fun or engaging. Get manic: take a break from my situation, have a cigar (don't smoke sweatdrop )

But to better answer the question at hand, I hate it when people think they know what's best for me. When my girlfriend says things like, "go paint a model, you're depressed," or " I think you need a smoke break". Intellectually, I know that she's trying to help me feel better, but it makes me feel so trivialized. Like you can just put my mind in a box and fix it. stressed

People being kind can be hard to understand sometimes. As long as you are really trying to make someone happy, your odds are good. heart
I'm Bipolar type 2. I just allow myself to go through the motions.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
My sister, my dad, and myself all are bi-polar.

My dad is at a severe level. He needs to take many medications in order to calm him down to a certain point, but if he uses drugs, or drinks, it causes schizophrenia, and split-personality disorders.

My sister is in the middle. She needs pretty much one med to keep her from getting too depressed/sad at times and crashing into a negative emotional spiral.

I have the lightest, which I try to control on my own, un-medicated. (Discussed with doctors prior to doing this.) I am alright, for the most part. When I have a heightened emotion, I tend to just try and let it run it's course, and move on in the day.

It all depends on what levels you are asking about. but, feel free to PM, if you need someone to talk to. :3

Friendly Bachelorette

8,550 Points
  • Married 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I have bipolar 2 disorder and im on two meds for it .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff