Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Source.

Here's the entire article in spoiler form:

Always Online:

As explained by Microsoft, “Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state. This means your system, games and apps are always current and ready to play—no more waiting for updates. While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.”
“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

Microsoft added "because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing."

Used Games and Giving Games to Friends:

Microsoft also spelled out its policies on game lending, trade-ins and rentals. "In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends."

“We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.”
Microsoft says "your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you." The company added that “Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.”

It's worth noting that Microsoft allows you to gift games to friends but they can't borrow them. Microsoft added that "loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

However, anyone can play games using your console. "Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games," Microsoft says. "Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you."

Xbox One will also allow you to give up to 10 family members access to "log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One." Similar to Xbox 360, "a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

Game Installations and Digital Downloads

Microsoft says "you’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly."

Players will be able to access their library from other consoles. "After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games."

Kinect Requirements

According to Xbox's official site, "at Microsoft, we prioritize your privacy. We understand that your personal data and privacy are important. Xbox One and Kinect will provide tools to put you in control of your data."
Microsoft stresses that "you are in control of what Kinect can see and hear. By design, you will determine how responsive and personalized your Xbox One is to you and your family during setup. The system will navigate you through key privacy options, like automatic or manual sign in, privacy settings, and clear notifications about how data is used. When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded."
Players will also control whether Kinect is on, off or paused. "If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say 'Xbox Off.' When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- 'Xbox On,' and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences."

Your personal data will never be available to anyone outside of your console, Microsoft stressed. "You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission."

After explaining these policies, Microsoft explained that "as we move into this new generation of games and entertainment, from time to time, Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services to reflect modifications and improvements to our services, feedback from customers and our business partners or changes in our business priorities and business models or for other reasons. We may also cease to offer certain services or products for similar reasons."

"In the months ahead, we will continue to listen to your feedback as we meet with our partners in the ecosystem to bring additional detail about our policies," Microsoft concluded. "We are excited about this new generation of games and entertainment and look forward to sharing more news with our fans."

Make of all of this what you will, people.
For the sake of being neutral, I won't state my opinion here.
Ball's in your courts.

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Merry Bunny

16,600 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
I'm a little to out of it to read the whole article, but from what I read it is an improvement Not enough for me to buy it though.

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Malomy
I'm a little to out of it to read the whole article, but from what I read it is an improvement Not enough for me to buy it though.

There's been a huge amount of backlash over it, so from what I gather, they've confirmed the worst parts and clarified others to be slightly better but not enough to prevent rage.

The used games issue is particularly huge.

Shy Humorist

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Ok I feel a little better about the Kinect even though I rather not have it at all

Versatile Receiver

How about instead of confirming what everyone didn't want you just didn't do it, Microsoft

Newbie Noob

Nice to see Kinect isn't spying on us, I was worried about that after hearing that Microsoft takes data from Skype conversations.
But still doesn't sound very appealing. They make it sound like everything's simplified even though it's more complicated. .-.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150

"The XBox One! Not -quite- as bad as you thought."

Dangerous Loiterer

Quote:
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
So basically, the console is useless even for single-player games if you don't have an Internet connection or if XBL is down for maintenance or has been hacked? Sort of like an evil version of Steam.

And 1 hour?! Basically, if you've got more than one console, you've got always-on DRM on one of them.

I bet ten quid Anonymous take down the system on launch day and nobody can play games. The minute they work out how the authentication system works, they'll be going for taking it down.

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Caerthakatha
Quote:
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
So basically, the console is useless even for single-player games if you don't have an Internet connection or if XBL is down for maintenance or has been hacked? Sort of like an evil version of Steam.

And 1 hour?! Basically, if you've got more than one console, you've got always-on DRM on one of them.

I bet ten quid Anonymous take down the system on launch day and nobody can play games. The minute they work out how the authentication system works, they'll be going for taking it down.

Dunno what a quid is, but I agree with you; this whole system is like a dream target for Anonymous....

Questionable Hero

24,325 Points
  • Healer 50
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Hunter 50
E3 ain't saving s**t.

Aged Fatcat

Well, Sony's on thin ice here, if you think about it. Like it or not, the Xbox One has set a precedent for publishers. If the Xbox One is going to enable publishers to DRM the s**t out of their game, if Sony wants the Playstation 4 to do well they HAVE to enable the same thing on their end. Publishers don't care if the Xbox One is getting bad PR. If they can control and profit off a game more because of the DRM, they'll choose the Xbox One over the PS4. Sony can't succeed with first-party titles alone, it just isn't possible. And do you honestly think that, if a multiplatform title has DRM on the Xbox One, it somehow isn't going to have DRM on the PS4? It just doesn't work that way.

We'll see what happens at E3, I suppose.

Dedicated Guildsman

8,150 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
This just sealed the deal. Definitely NOT getting this thing.

Loving Elder

We're not getting it. Only thing that worries me is what happens if you get baned? You'll probably have to buy all the games again. Plus this always on, I have relatives who don't use or have internet and we have family gatherings at time which we take consoles over at times. It would make the Xbox One useless. Microsoft has really dug themselves into a hole which seems kinda hard to get out of.
well good to know that they cleared the thing and i have to say!!! its still looks horrid sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff