What do you think about Skyrim

Love it 0.53125 53.1% [ 34 ]
Hate it 0.0625 6.2% [ 4 ]
It's OK 0.296875 29.7% [ 19 ]
Never played 0.109375 10.9% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 64 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

High-functioning Sleuth

I've been cruising around the gaming discussions and I've noticed that a lot of people are bashing Skryim. My question is: why? Sure, there are some glitches that occur from time to time, but all the freedom and possibilities in the game more than make up for it, I think. I've gotten several hours of entertainment from the game, and continue to do so every time I play.

Skyrim: Hate it or Love it?

Bashful Capitalist

Because the combat is boring.

Friendly Cultist

It's just the hype. Great game, but not as perfect as a lot of people make it out to be.
The combat's pretty weak and floaty. Swing until everything dies. I mean doesn't bother some people, but it can be a turn off. Like to see them improve it (similar to how some mods have).
Some of the questlines are really kind of underwhelming. Dark Brotherhood one is interesting, but the other guild quests just seem to fly by. A few hours, and you're suddenly the Archmage. It's just too fast for me.
In my own opinion, the characters are really... Meh. For a series with such wonderful lore, there really aren't many memorable characters. Especially with them implementing marriage, which really wasn't anything special. If there were more fleshed out characters, it'd be great. But so many just feel generic, and the fact that they reused the voice actors SO MUCH just didn't help.
I also wish there were a reputation system. I mean sure, there are bounties, but everything goes away once you pay. You really don't have much choice besides being Skyrim's hero. I don't mind being the only one who can stop Alduin, but I want it to be my character. I want people to know him/her for what they do. I mean, like how it's been done in the past with the series, and other series. If you flesh that out, and have my actions affect those around me, I'd love it a lot more.

The game just isn't very dynamic. It's kind of the same thing for hours and hours. Don't get me wrong, played it a lot and loved it, and I'll play it for a good while once I'm back in the mood for it.
But there's just a lot that could have been done better, in my opinion.

Versatile Receiver

because you're more internet cool if you hate popular things

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
Skyrim was the only Elder Scrolls game that I played, and I thought it was okay. There were a lot of things to do in order to kill time: plenty of quests, player customization, etc. Combat was okay. I enjoyed the spells and the shouts but that was it. I was more into the map exploration than the combat. Skyrim was good overall.

Amazingly Loved's Husband

x2 Soviet Titties
Because the combat is boring.

So was combat in Morrowind and everyone seems to have a hard on for that game.

Conservative Shapeshifter

9,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Czar Kazem
It's just the hype. Great game, but not as perfect as a lot of people make it out to be.
The combat's pretty weak and floaty. Swing until everything dies. I mean doesn't bother some people, but it can be a turn off. Like to see them improve it (similar to how some mods have).
Some of the questlines are really kind of underwhelming. Dark Brotherhood one is interesting, but the other guild quests just seem to fly by. A few hours, and you're suddenly the Archmage. It's just too fast for me.
In my own opinion, the characters are really... Meh. For a series with such wonderful lore, there really aren't many memorable characters. Especially with them implementing marriage, which really wasn't anything special. If there were more fleshed out characters, it'd be great. But so many just feel generic, and the fact that they reused the voice actors SO MUCH just didn't help.
I also wish there were a reputation system. I mean sure, there are bounties, but everything goes away once you pay. You really don't have much choice besides being Skyrim's hero. I don't mind being the only one who can stop Alduin, but I want it to be my character. I want people to know him/her for what they do. I mean, like how it's been done in the past with the series, and other series. If you flesh that out, and have my actions affect those around me, I'd love it a lot more.

The game just isn't very dynamic. It's kind of the same thing for hours and hours. Don't get me wrong, played it a lot and loved it, and I'll play it for a good while once I'm back in the mood for it.
But there's just a lot that could have been done better, in my opinion.

I totally agree with you! Especially the combat and reusing the voice actors/actress it gets you bored with the game a little. It's fun sure, some story lines are interesting to play through but like you said it is too quick to become a certain leader for a certain guild not a lot of excitement there. It really feels like the game was a bit too quick with certain quests either side quests/ guild quests or main quests. If only they made it more interesting to play through. But I have to admit the main story was pretty interesting and also the whole religion holy war they have there.

Aged Duelist

10,000 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
Skyrim, especially when held against the other entries in the series is best described as a wetland. It's big, pretty, but ultimately very shallow easily navigateable with the map and the trail-markers everywhere. Oblivion is a man-made lake. Not too big, has a bit of depth but there's not alot of life and you won't be discovering any hidden coves. Morrowind is a proper lake. Full of life and has tons of hidden places and interesting things to find and explore. You will need a map and a good sense of direction though. Daggerfall is a vast and very unforgiving ocean full of seamonsters and ultimately death for those who aren't willing to put in the work.

Browser

5,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Combat is boring and flawed, storyline is boring and uninteresting, the cold, grey atmosphere doesn't do the visuals any justice, the overall gameplay is boring itself, the dragons aren't as much of a threat as they should be, and the only thing that can make the game decent are the mods. That's all my opinion, though, and I'm sticking to it.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWee yea ra enne ar sar. Wee yea ra enne ar dor
Wee yea ra enne ar ciel. Rrha yea ra ieeya en near

MrBtongue said it best:

Quote:
because you're more internet cool if you hate popular things
for the most part.
anything that is popular, especially if theyre very highly critically acclaimed, will be treated as if theyre the worst thing in existence.
Quote:
MrBtongue said it best:
video thumbnail has Morrowind on it, not gonna bother watching.
Because it's just plain bad compared to previous games in the series.

As an open world game, it's pretty to look at at first... but you soon realise how devoid of depth the gameworld is, and how boring and generic the setting is. Oblivion was generic too, but at least it had charm. More importantly though, the aspects I enjoy most about open world games (immersion, discovery, exploration, etc) are completely undermined by ridiculous hand-holding features such as markers. And in general, Skyrim feels more like a contrived sandbox where everything revolves around the player rather than a believable fantasy world.

As an RPG, it's completely gutted. Character development feels terribly lacking to the point where it's basically just an action game where you pick a visual avatar for yourself, rather than actually make a unique character. Perks are implemented poorly.

As an action game, it's better than Morrowind, but still piss-poor compared to PC action-RPGs like Mount & Blade that have directional attacks and a better balance between player skill and character skill. Also, I can't stand the forced finisher moves. They're lame and undermine roleplaying.

The only redeeming thing about the game is the modding community.

Aged Noob

because:

the voice acting was really lacking for me; the quests were SO dull, my main complaint being the end of the Dark Brotherhood questline. It was so poorly executed that I felt disappointed.

I still play it and I like it, but it honestly could have been done a lot better.

Shameless Mystic

Game-of-Hope
I've been cruising around the gaming discussions and I've noticed that a lot of people are bashing Skryim. My question is: why? Sure, there are some glitches that occur from time to time, but all the freedom and possibilities in the game more than make up for it, I think. I've gotten several hours of entertainment from the game, and continue to do so every time I play.

Skyrim: Hate it or Love it?
Because all the things you do are the same. There's basically 3 types of dungeons that all look alike. Nearly every quest is "go here and kill this" or "go get this magical doodad. It's the shallowest of all the numbered elder scrolls games, contributing very little to the story of the outside world, and not even tying up loose ends of the previous games. Everything that Oblivion did wrong, Skyrim did worse, while throwing away much of what made Oblivion and Morrowind fantastic games.

I don't hate skyrim, I've played it for a good 373 hours, but I've had most of my fun with it and I'm not sure if I'll even go back to play the DLC I blew $20 on two months ago (EVEN THOUGH IT'S MY FAVORITE PLACE EVER).

The game is just very disappointing.

When I wandered aimlessly through Morrowind, I was captivated by the alien world and strange customs. The land itself was like nothing on earth, the people and their traditions were unique, the setting was thought provoking, and the air of sinister background knowledge was on your finger tips. I walked the earth, got lost countless times, found secret caves and treasures hidden under water. I explored the Dwemer ruins in search of artifacts to display at my home, or books on Kagrenac's Tools, the Dwemer disappearance, and rise of the Tribunal.

When I logged countless hours in Oblivion, I knew little about the lore. I was entranced by the dwemer from the previous game, but I slowly began to see the most ominous workings of the daedra now. I searched the world for books, tome after tome, and created large collections in my home of stringent knowledge on the disturbing cosmology of Tamriel, travellers to oblivion, daedric cults, and psijic philosophy. In my search I found books about most of the provinces of tamriel, with thought provoking history and often cross referenced them with the conflicting claims of many daedric cults and the Dark Brothehood. The world was rich with flavor.

Skyrim was but a grey-white rehashed fantasty in a mostly colorless world with mostly colorless people. I was happy at times to find secrets, but more often than not they were merely part of some boring quest that gave you the tiniest taste of mystery, but no information to contemplate. Dragons are boring, and moreso, annoying in this game. Adventure is not rewarded, no secrets are found. No hidden secret knowledge of the darkest dealings in the ominous fabric of Oblivion... just dragons. The vampires are boring and tasteless, the Dark Brotherhood was a faint shadow of its legendary writing in TES4, and while taking away so much of the allure of the world, they added little. I tried really hard to enjoy it, but when confronted with its flaws, I realized it was truly the letdown I was afraid of the moment I realized it was just another game to be defecated on to a plate and served for the system that ruined the gaming industry to a point it may never be repaired.

It is a sign of things to come, and an unfortunate tainting of a franchise which once inspired so much imagination and wondrous fantasy. You may not see it, but those of us who appreciate what the franchise used to embody do.
Arkngthand
Because it's just plain bad compared to previous games in the series.

Previous games were s**t compared the this installment.

Arkngthand
As an open world game, it's pretty to look at at first... but you soon realise how devoid of depth the gameworld is

Compared to Oblivion which was a bland trip through the German countryside?

Arkngthand
and how boring and generic the setting is

Minus the vikings, dragons, random occurrences and endless places to go.

Arkngthand
Oblivion was generic too, but at least it had charm.

Not as much

Arkngthand
More importantly though, the aspects I enjoy most about open world games (immersion, discovery, exploration, etc) are completely undermined by ridiculous hand-holding features such as markers.

Because Morrowind gave incredibly vague directions and in turn, it turned the game into a corridor. There is nothing in Morrowind that is off the roads. I have looked for years.

Arkngthand
And in general, Skyrim feels more like a contrived sandbox where everything revolves around the player rather than a believable fantasy world

Since when? If you can slay a dragon

Arkngthand
As an RPG, it's completely gutted. Character development feels terribly lacking to the point where it's basically just an action game where you pick a visual avatar for yourself, rather than actually make a unique character. Perks are implemented poorly.

The uniqueness in the character design excel compared to the previous two. It had more ways you can create your character. The facial creator may have limited it in a very small way, but unlike Oblivion, the people didn't look like Down Syndrome kids.

Arkngthand
As an action game, it's better than Morrowind

As an RPG, it's better than Morrowind. That game used a system that was designed for pen and paper. Computer can excel above that.

Arkngthand
but still piss-poor compared to PC action-RPGs like Mount & Blade that have directional attacks and a better balance between player skill and character skill. Also, I can't stand the forced finisher moves. They're lame and undermine roleplaying.

Without Skill, you still die in Skyrim. You just happen to actually have a CHOICE in how you fight to even the odds.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff