Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which is better a Geforce MX440 or a Geforce FX5200?
Speaking strictly from my experience as a PC game tech support rep, if you're planning to play something that has been developed in the last 1-2 years, neither card is going to cut it. Both the MX-series and FX 5200 are built on the same basic architecture which does not allow for shading and lighting of pixels to take place. Any game you would try to play which requires this level of graphic command (for instance, EASPORTS' NBA Live 2005), will not look very good.

For the FX 5200, the upside is the increased memory sizes (128 or 256 MB RAM) as well as dual monitor and DVI support (very important if you're using an LCD monitor). If you're going to watch DVD's or project at a very high resolution, this card will allow you to do so with ease.

Unfortunately, the GeForce MX 440 doesn't have much upside. It's probably only going to have either 64 or 128 MB video RAM on it and it does not support DVI. You will be able to watch DVD's and other video files easily enough and may even get decent high-end resolutions but they will begin to fuzz out past a certain point because the processor is not powerful enough.

So far, with the GeForce FX-series cards, the best value I have encountered is the GeForce FX 5500. It comes in memory sizes (128 or 256), supports DVI and TV-Out (Dual Monitors), and will play all of the new games and look good doing so even at the highest resolutions (I play City of Heroes, Far Cry, Doom 3, and EQ2 without any graphic issues). Best of all, in comparison to any of the other high-end graphics cards (GeForce FX 6600 / 6800 or ATI's X-series cards) it generally carries the lowest price tag, averaging about $75-$90 where you can find it. The 128 MB model is roughly $10-$15 less but it's harder to find.
brainpowerd
Speaking strictly from my experience as a PC game tech support rep, if you're planning to play something that has been developed in the last 1-2 years, neither card is going to cut it. Both the MX-series and FX 5200 are built on the same basic architecture which does not allow for shading and lighting of pixels to take place. Any game you would try to play which requires this level of graphic command (for instance, EASPORTS' NBA Live 2005), will not look very good.

I'm sorry but if that is the quality of advice you give as a PC game tech support rep then I think you need to get another job.

The FX5200 isn't using the same architecture as the MX series at all, considering the MX series are based on the Geforce2

The FX5200 has full DirectX 9 pixel and vertex shader support, it isn't very fast in DirectX 9 but it can render all effects.

To answer the question the FX5200 is the better card of the two.
fx5200 3nodding
Get a Radeon 9800 Pro, good price and can play ANYTHING (also assuming you have a semi-fast above 1.5 GHZ Proccessor).
I would suggest getting a 6600GT over a 9800 Pro or even ATi's 9800XT because it performs on par with and sometimes trounces these former top of the line cards.

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT: Bringing NV4x to the Masses
THG Graphics Card Buyers Guide: GeForce 6600

If you would rather have an ATi video card, then go for the X700, the same could be said about the part as it goes against the 9800 Pro or XT.

ATI Radeon X700 XT: More PCIe Midrange

If you want to pay as little as possible, however (which I'm guessing is the case because you're comparing the Geforce MX440 and Geforce FX5200), you might want to consider the turbocache enabled GeForce 6200 or hypermemory enabled radeon X300 (both are PCIe only though)
the 5200 is better. works for me with every thing.
You'd do best to get the 5200, however it'd probably be much better if you got something higher like a 5500, if you can afford it that is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff