Welcome to Gaia! ::

Please note that I'm not trolling the series but I want to know what everyone thinks of Black Butler. And I don't want the generic"I like everything". The truth is, I own volume 1 of the manga and I've seen the first several episodes of the anime but then, for whatever reason, I pushed the show into the backburner of my life. There's such a big craze about it, though, that i wonder if I'm missing something. Ill admit that Sebastian is amazing and probably the best butler in the world (cue drool face) but what else about this series tickles your fancy?

Sincerely, Missed the Boat

Dangerous Lunatic

Well to be honest

I saw an AMV
and saw Sebastian
and Madam Red

FELL IN LOVE OK

so I found out where they were from
and someone suggested to read the manga first since it's the original (and better than the anime)

aaaaaaand well...... Mostly I kept reading because of Sebastian ;w;
but then the plot got really interesting.

Watched the anime just for the hell of it (no pun intended)
Homicidal Desires

So the story line eventually develops into an enticing plot? That awesome! From the few episodes I've watched (and this was a while ago so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but the show just seemed to be one of those "new story a day" kind of shows that hinted to a bigger plot in the background, which I'm assuming eventually rises to the surface of the show and caught your attention.

Dangerous Lunatic

Simplicality
Homicidal Desires

So the story line eventually develops into an enticing plot? That awesome! From the few episodes I've watched (and this was a while ago so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but the show just seemed to be one of those "new story a day" kind of shows that hinted to a bigger plot in the background, which I'm assuming eventually rises to the surface of the show and caught your attention.

Well, the main, main plot (Ciel getting revenge) hasn't gone anywhere far even in the manga yet since, well, when he gets what he wants Sebastian will eat his soul. But the story arcs still keep me wanting to read more even though it has (or it seems to have) little to do with revenge stuff. And now there is still some unfinished stuff from the previous arc that probably will be important later.
It has action, drama, comedy and the story and the characters are enjoyable to me. And for some of the characters, you just want to know more and stuff like that. Also, ordinary things become epic! xD It's really funny.

dazzel_almond's Senpai

User Image

As much as I wished for the happiness of one...

I'm gonna say no. Because if you replaced the man candy with ordinary looking characters, it would not have as much appeal. It's a bunch of pretty boys prancing around in fancy clothes going on adventures with some interesting concepts, but not enough to save the show.

...someone else must be equally cursed.

I'm such a fool.
User ImageUser Image
Homicidal Desires

Well, the main, main plot (Ciel getting revenge) hasn't gone anywhere far even in the manga yet since, well, when he gets what he wants Sebastian will eat his soul. But the story arcs still keep me wanting to read more even though it has (or it seems to have) little to do with revenge stuff. And now there is still some unfinished stuff from the previous arc that probably will be important later.
It has action, drama, comedy and the story and the characters are enjoyable to me. And for some of the characters, you just want to know more and stuff like that. Also, ordinary things become epic! xD It's really funny.

O okay so its at least generally pleasing. I guess wants the initial reaction to the series creates a pull with the readers then they'll continue to view it. It almost seems that you've come to like more or less the characters themselves rather than the story as a whole and now you want to see their tale unfold and learn more about them while watching them struggle through their world's plot. Does that seem about right? And then of course the more involved you become with the story and characters the better the story starts to be right? I like when a series is able to pull you into it like that. A series where you stay involved because you want to see more of your favorite character. I get that way with a lot of shows. Like Inuyasha for one example, the story was well and all but one of the things that really kept me reading was getting to see Seshy and then later Rin too. Or Naruto because I always looked forward to interactions with Itachi.

Dapper Capitalist

User Image
Truthfully? No.
I fell in love with Kuroshitsuji for its elegant fashion.
By episode two my general synopsis was
What kind of stupid yaoi is this?

The plot was compelling, and some of the characters have traits that make them interesting.
But the anime is full of a lot of comedy and filler.
You'd expect darker tones from an anime about a 13 year old boy who gives up his soul to a demon.
But no. A lot of pretty boys, and poor storytelling.

A better anime set in the same era would be Gosick.
Paprika Muffin

I'm gonna say no. Because if you replaced the man candy with ordinary looking characters, it would not have as much appeal. It's a bunch of pretty boys prancing around in fancy clothes going on adventures with some interesting concepts, but not enough to save the show.

Interesting input! I like that with only two people answering my question so far I'm still able to see both sides of the spectrum. It's a good thing the artist can draw "drool-worthy" characters then huh? This is one of the reasons I did put the series on to the side as well. See I collect a lot of manga and I also have a lot of different series but manga costs money so I have to focus on which series I want to buy on and while I purchased the first volume of black butler it just wasn't enticing enough to buy volume 2 right away. (that seems like a very long sentence -_- ) Anyway~ I still want to buy it all any way just because, as a collector, I want to have finished series, not just bits and pieces, and I also want to read the series' all the way through, but it'll have to wait for now.

Fashionable Prophet

4,450 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I personally don't even remember what drew me to the series, TBH. But after I finished both seasons and caught up with the manga, I liked it for being more satarical/sad (moreso in the anime than the manga atm) than what many animes are like out there. I think the characters are unique as well; really, I only think the only one dimensional one is Claude or maybe the Triplets.

Maybe my opinion is skewed because I roleplay Alois and Agni; though I've met many friends in the kuroshitsuji fandom as well as improved my writing through said rping, so I can't complain.

Just my slant on this emotion_c8
Phantomhive Royal

The plot was compelling, and some of the characters have traits that make them interesting.
But the anime is full of a lot of comedy and filler.
You'd expect darker tones from an anime about a 13 year old boy who gives up his soul to a demon.
But no. A lot of pretty boys, and poor storytelling.

A better anime set in the same era would be Gosick.

Hmmm I see, I see. Your comment makes me want to check Gosick out. I've heard of it but I haven't checked it out yet. One of the things that first attracted me to Black Butler was the era as well as the darker tone. What's Gosick like?

Sweet Slayer

23,850 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Demonic Associate 100
It's more what you make of it, really.
To me, the manga is fairly good. It's interesting enough to keep me reading it, although it did start out a bit lame in my opinion. I wouldn't say it's the greatest thing in existence, but it's decent and has a somewhat compelling story to tell.

As for the anime....
I initially watched the anime before I started on the manga, and though I can say I did enjoy it to an extent, it was to a much lesser extent than the manga... and I probably wouldn't sit down and watch it again. At least not without decent motivation to do so.
To add to that, the anime as a stand-alone story would have been fine, they ended it well and brought it full circle with a nice conclusion. But then they ruined that by making the second season, which, in my humble opinion, was rather cheesy.
I watched the anime this past summer. I really didn't get much out of it because there was a massive heat wave and I was hallucinating and vomiting in a bucket which diverted me away from the actual show.

Though from what I understood, it's an interesting anime in terms of setting and characters. I just wish the plot wasn't so flat.

Dapper Capitalist

Simplicality

User Image
Forgive me, I was significantly off as far as time periods.
Gosick is an anime about an intelligent young woman and a Japanese exchange student
Living in a fictional country that borders France, I believe.
Throughout the two solve murders that relate back to urban legends and fairytales.
They both are fretful about being separated by a " great storm that will divide the earth."
A reference to the oncoming second world war.

It's absolutely brilliant in my opinion.
Though the final few episodes become a bit...
Mmn.. difficult to comprehend at times.

Regardless, I've watched the series three times, and I've enjoyed every moment.
A link for you, if you're interested.
codemonkey10
Yes

Awsome

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items