Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Sex Symbol

8,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Timid 100
Or what?

Is there a reason why aborted babies end up in the first layer of hell in Dante's Inferno?
Is it because they weren't exposed to the teachings of god?

Is that fair that a baby that gets aborted goes to hell or is that cruel of god?
Xzaro
Are babies born athiest, agnostic, or.. Or what?

Agnostic and atheist.

Xzaro
Is there a reason why aborted babies end up in the first layer of hell in Dante's Inferno?

Because they weren't baptized.

Xzaro
Is that fair that a baby that gets aborted goes to hell or is that cruel of god?

Neither.

Lonely Sex Symbol

8,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Timid 100
Lucky~9~Lives
Xzaro
Are babies born athiest, agnostic, or.. Or what?

Agnostic and atheist.

Xzaro

Because they weren't baptized.

Xzaro

Neither.

How is it possible to be agnostic and atheist?

What does baptizing have to do with it? What does baptizing represent? What about babies that were never baptized?

How is it neither cruel of god or unfair? How is it fair and kind of god to send aborted babies to hell?
Xzaro

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Xzaro
What does baptizing have to do with it? What does baptizing represent? What about babies that were never baptized?

Dante considered baptism to be "the portal of the faith that you embrace", without which one lacks the hope for something greater than rational minds can conceive.

Xzaro
How is it neither cruel of god or unfair? How is it fair and kind of god to send aborted babies to hell?

I said it was neither cruel of god nor fair.

Star Tipper

9,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Invisibility 100
Lucky explained everything perfectly, and people commonly confuse what agnostic actually means. you deserved those two tips and more.
Babies are not born, that we know of, coherent assertions in the existence of a deity.
Babies that end up in that place do so because they have not been baptised.
I don't enjoy making value judgements off hand like that.

Lonely Sex Symbol

8,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Timid 100
Lucky~9~Lives
Xzaro

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Xzaro

Dante considered baptism to be "the portal of the faith that you embrace", without which one lacks the hope for something greater than rational minds can conceive.

Xzaro

I said it was neither cruel of god nor fair.

Okay thank you for your explanation, I understand better now.

What is your belief/faith (if you don't mind me asking) ?
I think we're born ignostic, as we can't comprehend what god is supposed to be at that age, and if babies could I can't see why they'd care. Their world revolves around eating, pooping, sleeping, cuddling with mommy (slave) and daddy (also slave), and vague shapes that make really annoying sounds when they appear. What place would any god really serve in an infants mind?
Xzaro
Okay thank you for your explanation, I understand better now.

What is your belief/faith (if you don't mind me asking) ?

No problem; some kind of Taoism.

Questionable Lover

Babies don't have or understand religion. They are babies.

All they understand is num nums, drooling, vomiting, and growing up.
Xzaro
Or what?

If you're going by the Divine Comedy version of hell, then the first circle is not particularly cruel. Limbo is the abode of those who were more or less virtuous, but not Christian / baptised. It's actually fairly pleasant (probably based on the Asphodel meadow of Homer, which was not a bad afterlife but certainly not as good or desirable as Elysion,) it's just not the glory of heaven.

So when "aborted babies end up in (Limbo,)" that's not really unfair given the criteria, and it's certainly not cruel.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Fermionic
Babies are not born, that we know of, coherent assertions in the existence of a deity.

Sure they do. But once they learn to speak they generally call them "Mommy" and "Daddy." Or however the family life is set up, I'm not about to get into some debate on that.
Xiam
Fermionic

Sure they do. But once they learn to speak they generally call them "Mommy" and "Daddy." Or however the family life is set up, I'm not about to get into some debate on that.

I'm sure that that parallel is ridiculous, but I am not sure if you are being wholly serious or not. I wouldn't wish to be presumptuous.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Fermionic
Xiam
Fermionic

I'm sure that that parallel is ridiculous, but I am not sure if you are being wholly serious or not. I wouldn't wish to be presumptuous.

I'm never wholly serious. Still, for most kids parents are like gods, at least for a while. Not necessarily good or evil, though. Well... depends on the parent and the kid.
Xiam
Fermionic
Xiam
Fermionic

I'm never wholly serious. Still, for most kids parents are like gods, at least for a while. Not necessarily good or evil, though. Well... depends on the parent and the kid.

"Really quite great" isn't the same as "Supernatural entity", very often.

Don't ask me; I've little experience in such areas.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff