Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Millionaire

8,675 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
e0i5
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh emotion_c8
I've been lurking around and found that many more-experienced-than-me artists say to only draw one sketch per page in your sketchbooks. They say it forces you to focus and you learn faster. I was wondering what you guys thought. Do you agree? How many sketches per page do you do?

I only use one page, but I always somehow spend several hours and did it done whee

Partying Prophet

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Regular 100
Depends on the sketchbook. i have a couple of 2-3 pound (English prices not sure about it in dollars) that i use to practice in and then i have my moleskines for work i want to keep safe and have shown. i only do one per page in my moleskine but i doodle and fill the crappy ones.

Durem Lover

I draw multiple sketches per page unless I'm doing a challenge, for example: the monster girl challenge.

Desirable Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
considering I pay over $20 for my sketchbooks I cannot afford to just draw one per page. What an utter waste of paper.

If anything, think of the environment with all the wasted paper. Fill your pages. Hell frame it into little rectangles if you want borders around your art, but use your pages.

5,350 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
So far, 28 pages.

Tipsy Survivor

8,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
I don't think it makes that much of a difference...

Sparkly Ladykiller

10,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Your sketchbook. You draw or paint whatever you want in it. It's not limited. :/ I suppose it could be a valid argument to draw one drawing per page, but at the same time, it sounds silly to me.

I usually fill up a whole page with indivisual sketches. Occasionally, I find there's something I want to practice on, so I'll draw a bunch of those on the same page. But really, it doesn't matter. I think that filling up a sketchbook with multiple drawings on the same page can also help build your compositional skills by learning how to arrange/place the drawings on the page.

Dapper Browser

8,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
O-o...wat?

Your sketchbook is your world. Where you come up with whatever whenever. It doesn't matter how much is on a page or how little. My pages vary from one sketch per page to multiple things. It depends on how much detail I want to put into it. It really all depends on what you feel is right for what you should do.

Blessed Waffles

I feel like as long as you fill the page up so that the composition looks good, then it's fine. I don't think you should limit yourself to 1 sketch per page if you don't want to.
I've never heard anyone give that kind of advice before. It sounds odd to me. confused I really don't think there are rules to your sketchbook. I do more finished pieces then rough work or practice doodles in mine so I do tend to stick to one page per piece. But if you're doing doodles or quick studies or practice pieces there's nothing wrong with filling page after page of mish mashes of things.

When talking to art school folks about portfolio reviews a lot of them highly recommend to have a sketchbook full of works in progress and studies on hand in addition to finished pieces. I remember one art professor saying she loved to see sketchbooks that were beaten to all he11 because the owner totes it everywhere and fills it with everything from pencil sketches to wrinkled up water damaged pages from experiments with coffee painting and even overstuffed with things like cool leaves being glued down and possibly studied or worked into something. When I was younger this seemed horrible to me because a sketchbook was a rare thing for me to acquire so I took really good care of them. Now that I can afford to buy my own sketch books I can appreciate the thinking behind this.
Nah my sketchbooks are s**t storms. I doodle, write story ideas, make lists of s**t I need to do/buy, write strange phrases or quotes that come to my head, brain storm artists statements, ect. They're almost like little journals of my daily thoughts and activities.

They were worse when I was in school and I took notes, wrote down homework, meeting times, hell, I did DID homework around drawings sometimes. s**t was fun.
I generally just sort of do whatever happens. Open a page and I'll either do a lot of little sketches and doodles or I'll just draw one thing. Try not to over think yourself! 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff