Welcome to Gaia! ::

today....people who are in a vegetative state are being kept alive with feeding tubes which is definately not natrual......i think that the people that died are wat God intended to happen.......but people are preventing this by using the feeding tubes etc......so.........feeding tubes and life preservers.........ok..........now here is the scenario........a person gets into a car crash and gets sevre brain damage....cant move, BUT he can talk. so he is kept alive with the feeding tube. the doctor askes if he wishes to remove the life preserver or keep it in so he lives...........he decides to keep it in.........is this a MORAL sin
I don't think it's part of God's official creede that he wants you dead ASAP.
We keep people alive needlessly and often cruely because we tend to live by "life at all costs".

This isn't automatically a good thing, because when you're meant to die, you should. Not be kept alive for years by tubes despite your inability to live alone.

Obviously if you're in a car crash or whatever, medical science should be used to help you recover but when a person reaches a state where they can't ever live without a life-support machine --why make them live in a hospital?

Just my opinion...
Most people are afraid of the moral dilemmas that killing a person induces so they harshly keep that person alive at all costs. It's a pretty chaotic system of morality here.
Ok first off why would god Have us go through a Car reck, or something grousome to kill us? It would seem that if he wanted us to join him He would have a much more effective and less painful method of doing so. God dosen't enjoy seeing us in pain. Second, people are the cause of most of the suffering and pain in this world. People just keep hurting each other insted of working out problems. I just refuse to think God would want me to suffer on a feeding tube if he wanted me to join him. I feel he would be more of a humanitarian when something like joining him came up.
To play Devils Advacate a little bit I disagree with the first post. I think if you decide to say on life support/feeding tube/etc then the doctors should keep you on said support because that was your wish. What becomes the problem is when you don't have any kind of verbal/written statement that says what you want in these situations.

Everyone when you turn 18 please go fill out a Advanced Directive!!

Now on the other hand the Catholic church says that doctors are not required to keep you alive by extraordinary means, so if you tell them to pull the plug and they do, no harm no foul. Still, I think doctors should lean more towards keeping you alive then worrying about letting you die and you should have your wishes written down so we don't get these kind of problems.
If a person is conscious and talking, it is harder to tell them they have to die. It is their decision, but I think they should recieve counseling along with the family members who will have to pay to keep them alive. If everyone decides 'live,' then I suppose they should stay on tubes and whatnot, because nobody really has the authority to tell a conscious person to die because it's more convenient.

However, in cases like Shciavo's, where the victim is not responsive and has no hope of recovering, they should die. It sounds harsh, I know, but I feel that there is no point in keeping a vacated shell alive; the personality that once occupied it is gone irrevocably. There are better uses for the money than keeping a braindead vegetable alive, such as keeping hungry children alive. I see it as a moral wrong that humans in a persistent vegetative state who will never recover are considered more important than the many conscious people who have no means of survival. I know that the families may want to cling to hope for as long as possible, and it is difficult to let someone go, even if they're already gone. But it is selfish.

A separate query: If death is God's will, then why do so many Christians blame it on Satan? Actually, why does death upset them at all? Shouldn't they be accepting of God's will?
hello? does any one know where you can get those kittys? the white ones? cry
i cant find them....
i'm a stout atheist, brewed from hopps, but just for arguement's sake, if everything that happens is god's will, wouldn't the invention and use of the feeding tube in the scenario have been part of his plan. on the other side, if we have to count the creation of the feeding tube as against god's will, then wouldn't the creation of the car also be against his will, and therefore the point is moot because the man either shouldn't have been hit by the car, or was suposed to be given a feeding tube? besides, if he can talk, he can swallow, and therefore he'd need an aid or a nurse, not a feeding tube.
hello? will any one anwser me? i guess o am all alone..... cry
will none of you will help me? crying i am all alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pekinese, 3nodding ninja 4laugh pirate whee
i know yall are onliine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stare i can see you are online!!!!!!!!!
sad o welll
pekinese, 3nodding whee ninja 4laugh pirate
pekinese
hello? will any one anwser me? i guess o am all alone..... cry
will none of you will help me? crying i am all alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pekinese, 3nodding ninja 4laugh pirate whee

MARKET-O DES!! scream

EDIT: what, no "thank you"? stare

ANOTHER EDIT: YOUA WELCOMEU DES!!! scream
ooh thank you! biggrin so much!
pekinese, 3nodding whee ninja 4laugh pirate
I highly doubt that God finds it a sin to try and heal people or prolong life. In your example...the man could not move, but could speak. Sounds an awful lot like Christopher Reeve to me. By the time he died all he could do was move a couple of fingers, but look at what he did, all the advocating and support for medical research. So in your example, losing the ability to move doesn't mean your life is gone.
Now in Terri Schiavo's case, I really think they should have let her die years ago. Based on the autopsy reports, nothing could have rehabilitated her. But this is the problem. She didn't leave any record of what she wanted, and so you got this enormous legal battle. That's why living wills and advance directives are so important. That way, if you cannot voice your wishes, they're already written down.
But do I find it morally wrong to prolong life? No. Not at all. But I do think it's morally wrong to prolong "life" when there isn't any. But generally, I don't think God finds it sinful to prolong someone's life.
if feeding tubes are considered a moral sin, then medicine, and every medical discovery is a moral sin. losing my pessimism for a minute, life is precious. you are in this world where atleast people are intent on keeping you alive. would you rather be in a place where people can drop dead every other second, and no one cares?
suppose thats called humanity.
hmmm, comes to another question, if you wanted to die, is it wrong for doctors to help you die?
i advocate that it should be an individual's choice. and when it comes to the person's inability to decide, then those involved should make a decision that lessons the person's pain.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff