Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
vwytche
x_DivineDesire_x

I know it isn't a measure of intelligence. However I am just wonder what I did exactly that helped me counter it. Or maybe I just don't have adhd or add at all...Another doctor said that my problem could be that my visual intelligence is extremely high... but my audio and other skills had to suffer a little.

I am just confused as to what some docs (from early age) thought i had. lol
I think what was happening was when I was little I would never like to do anything else other than entertain my visual intelligence?

There does tend to be a rush to diagnosis, and I don't know what time frame you're talking about so thats a varable.

They have discovered that people don't just learn. There are various stradgeies that different peoole use, and will repsond best if the teaching is in that format. I'm wanting to say they're visual, audial, textual, and hands on. It's been a long time, so don't quote me.

But the long and short is, if all a teacher does is lecture then, that great for the audial learners, but everybody else is going to be at a disadvantage. Same for textual learners if she like to give reading assignments. So the learning environment has to be figured in whenever assessing performance.

Me, I'm hands on. You can explain something to me until you're blue in the face, but until you let me just do it, mess it up a few times, and learn from my own mistakes, I'm just not going to get it.

Yeah exactly in my psychology class they had to question if someone took a standardized test...did it accurately indicate how intelligent they were? They had to identify the different ways people learn to contribute to learning.

Questionable Shapeshifter

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
x_DivineDesire_x
vwytche
x_DivineDesire_x

I know it isn't a measure of intelligence. However I am just wonder what I did exactly that helped me counter it. Or maybe I just don't have adhd or add at all...Another doctor said that my problem could be that my visual intelligence is extremely high... but my audio and other skills had to suffer a little.

I think what was happening was when I was little I would never like to do anything else other than entertain my visual intelligence?

There does tend to be a rush to diagnosis, and I don't know what time frame you're talking about so thats a varable.

They have discovered that people don't just learn. There are various stradgeies that different peoole use, and will repsond best if the teaching is in that format. I'm wanting to say they're visual, audial, textual, and hands on. It's been a long time, so don't quote me.

But the long and short is, if all a teacher does is lecture then, that great for the audial learners, but everybody else is going to be at a disadvantage. Same for textual learners if she like to give reading assignments. So the learning environment has to be figured in whenever assessing performance.

Me, I'm hands on. You can explain something to me until you're blue in the face, but until you let me just do it, mess it up a few times, and learn from my own mistakes, I'm just not going to get it.

Yeah exactly in my psychology class they had to question if someone took a standardized test...did it accurately indicate how intelligent they were? They had to identify the different ways people learn to contribute to learning.

Those standardized tests assume the inteligence of those that created them and.......let's just say, I'm not impressed.

Have they moved outside of the four I listed? My info's kind of old. I always found it a bit limited. Like they took it right out of the old joke about the electric fence.

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
vwytche
x_DivineDesire_x
vwytche
x_DivineDesire_x

Those standardized tests assume the inteligence of those that created them and.......let's just say, I'm not impressed.

Have they moved outside of the four I listed? My info's kind of old. I always found it a bit limited. Like they took it right out of the old joke about the electric fence.

Those are incredibly unreliable tests. From my experience from teaching others individually as a PEER, everyone can learn no matter how they're taught. There just has to be a moral and social understanding between the student and the pupil.

Questionable Shapeshifter

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
L0LlTAB0T
vwytche
x_DivineDesire_x
vwytche
x_DivineDesire_x

Those are incredibly unreliable tests. From my experience from teaching others individually as a PEER, everyone can learn no matter how they're taught. There just has to be a moral and social understanding between the student and the pupil.

True, but as individuals, some respond best to certain methods. A good teacher knows how the meet the student half way, and take the easiest road for them. Virtually impossable in a classroomsituation, unless everyone in the class happens to be the same sort of learner.

Dapper Lunatic

SDJKHSADJLKHDASLKJFADSLKJF;QE'FIG'3W4O;

So, I was diagnosed with ADD as a sophomore in college last December. And it's incredibly frustrating.

First of all, I also have depression, so the diagnosis took forever because they said my inattentiveness could have been caused by depression.

Then, my family doesn't really seem to believe me or support me after being diagnosed. I think part of it is because I'm not hyperactive, and they bunch that in with ADD. They assume oftentimes that I'm just lazy/forgetful/disorganized merely as a quirk in my personality and that I sort of just need to 'suck it up', instead of claiming that it's in my head and that I need medicine to deal with it.

And it's frustrating that I've gone 19 years without being diagnosed, which also adds to why my family doesn't buy it. I consider myself fairly intelligent, and until I started college, school was never challenging enough for me to need to focus so much. I was still always forgetful and junk, but again, they read that as a quirk instead. But once I got to college and everything got faster and more difficult, I realized just how much of a problem listening to a person lecture for an hour was for me.

/rant

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
Positroniums
SDJKHSADJLKHDASLKJFADSLKJF;QE'FIG'3W4O;

So, I was diagnosed with ADD as a sophomore in college last December. And it's incredibly frustrating.

First of all, I also have depression, so the diagnosis took forever because they said my inattentiveness could have been caused by depression.

Then, my family doesn't really seem to believe me or support me after being diagnosed. I think part of it is because I'm not hyperactive, and they bunch that in with ADD. They assume oftentimes that I'm just lazy/forgetful/disorganized merely as a quirk in my personality and that I sort of just need to 'suck it up', instead of claiming that it's in my head and that I need medicine to deal with it.

And it's frustrating that I've gone 19 years without being diagnosed, which also adds to why my family doesn't buy it. I consider myself fairly intelligent, and until I started college, school was never challenging enough for me to need to focus so much. I was still always forgetful and junk, but again, they read that as a quirk instead. But once I got to college and everything got faster and more difficult, I realized just how much of a problem listening to a person lecture for an hour was for me.

/rant

I've had a similar problem. As I said, I used to be in gifted programs and such;

however even now my teachers think I'm one of the most intelligent students yet they are confused at how disorganized I am as well as my grades. It's frustrating because you know you can do better yet you just keep forgetting EVERYTHING dgDSAKLLKLD
My thoughts on what you wrote, lolitabot:

L0LlTAB0T
As I progressed through latter grade school and into middle school, my memory became worse and worse. I never could keep things organized, but it got worse and worse to the point where I carried around about 200 things in my backpack.

I would complete assignments, and I'd forget to turn them in.

I would forget about what I was doing while I was doing it. I have a VERY bad problem with this now.

1. More things to remember as an adult?
I think it's plausible that the explanation for this is that as you get older you simultaneously get more responsibility, and the work-load increases.

2. Less focused because of pent up energy?
Additionally you mention walking around a lot or going out of the classroom abrubtly; that you don't do this anymore. Is it possible that this behaviour was a way of dealing with pent up energy? Adults can't reasonably behave in this way, so now you might not have an outlet for pent up energy as you did when you were a kid. Maybe that makes it harder to remember things as you are not as concentrated?

Coffee
Someone advices you to drink coffee. Coffee is probably not good for your ADHD, because the main problem with ADHD is that you are lacking in ability to inhibit your impulses. Coffee is a stimulant, it gets you geared up. I try to avoid coffee unless it's absolutely necessary, as it makes my thoughts and behaviour more "jittery".

L0LlTAB0T
If I were to guess based on what I know of science/biology/psychology,

I think it would be something that has to have an imbalance of some sort of chemical or transmission of a chemical due to a certain mix of genes.

Or more likely it's like the person was so overwhelmed mentally; through everyday activity or otherwise; that how the individual reacted to surroundings or focused lost much of its' productivity.

You also mention things like having OCD, anxiety and depression. You might be aware of this but I will explain at the off chance that you don't know, and also because it's something a lot of people seem unaware of:

Comorbidity
ADHD/ADD is often diagnosed along with other disorders. Depression and dyslexia are among the most common, as well as many other afflictions such as difficulty understanding time, dyscalculia, insomnia, autism, OCD, anxiety, problems with short-term memory, remembering auditory information (like lectures), etc. Research suggests that it's rare to have ADHD/ADD and not also have co-morbid disorders.

Of course, having these disorders does have a lot to do with genes, but it could also be difficulties during the pregnancy or birth that caused it/ADHD. Being "overwhelmed" is also a very important factor that you mention. Because the brain of someone with ADHD is activated in so many areas at the same time compared to "normals" this makes it harder to focus. For example I have trouble focusing on challenging tasks if someone is talking, there is a strong smell of food, a repetitive noise, I am cold on my hands, or if one sock feels "wrong", if I suddenly think of something I would like to/need to do (and there always is!), etc forever! crying You just have to keep ignoring all of these impulses and get down to buisness.

The distinction between someone with ADHD and "normal function", is here that this is even harder with ADHD. Don't quote me on this, because I cant find my source, but there is somehting called the The 30% rule. Basically someone with ADHD/ADD needs to work 30% harder to get the same result as someone without ADHD.

L0LlTAB0T

I try to place little things to remind me around myself and on myself. Most recently I marked my hand with pink highlighter so that I could remember to do homework, and well I never looked at it/remembered what it meant until the next day right before the class I had marked my hand for. I also remember things right before I go to bed, like while I'm in bed dozing off, and I fall asleep and then forget it in the morning. o3o

As I got older things just...they got more and more cluttered. I would forget to put things away as a child; but it's on a whole new level now that I'm older. There is, for example, about 7 different glasses scattered about the house because I forget to pick them up, even when there's a drink still inside. Same goes with games; I just take it out and put the disc down on the table the console is on, and I WANT to pick them up but I forget.

Suggestions for how to remember more easily:
- Make lists, use post-it's. Hang these where you can see them. (on the mirror, TV, PC-screen)
- Get a filofax. Write everything that needs doing/remembering in there. Check it all of the time. Maybe even have regular times that you check it every day. (AKA 08:00, 12:00, 15:00, 20:00)
- Do things (if possible) the second you remember it.
- Use the calendar on your phone & computer.
- If you have issues with understanding how much time has gone by: set an alarm to ring at every 60 min. - helps with getting a better understanding of time
- If you need to remember things like paying the rent, or when to start getting ready for school/work: set an alarm with a simple message of what needs to be done on your phone
- With practical things routines are key. Do things in the same order every time.

Doing these things help/have helped me. smile

You as whether people think ADHD is a mental illness:
I think of ADHD as a disorder, not an illness or a mental disease. It is not something that will pass in time. It can't be cured. You either attain or are born with it, and it is permanent, though may lessen in time.

Developing ADHD has three plausible reasons:
- Brain damage up at birth or during the pregnancy.
- Genes.
- Brain damage due to for example a car accident (though I can't say I've read or heard of a case study on a someone getting it from an accident!)

rofl

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
>Do you believe in ADHD being a mental illness?
* I sure do.

>If so, do you have/know someone with ADHD?
* As a matter of fact I do...Both myself and my boyfriend have ADHD

>If not, why not?
* N/A

>If so, how does it affect said person (above) ?
* We're both moody as hell, we both have short fuses,
Me and Him:
*Moody
*Did poorly in school (This was before I began medication)
*Was prone to randomly punching people
*Threw stuff
*Broke stuff
*walked away from people in the middle of a conversation
*Static...like mind
*brain was in a constant fog
*racing thoughts
*Didn't watch my mouth...I was quick to say crap
*Impulsive was my middle name
* Hyperactive...so it kinda irritated a lot of my friends when I couldn't sit still.
* Displayed emotions...all kinds of wrong

>If not, how do you feel about the marketing of the illness?
* I really don't know.

>If you have it, did Strattera leave you feeling dizzy, weak, and ill?
*Sorry..i've had both Ritalin and Adderall

>Could the symptoms of this (so called) mental disease lead to further complications?
* Not really...no....the only complication is a person harming themselves due to being reckless and impuslive.

>How would this affect the normal person's everyday life?
* I have no...kind of idea...It depends on the individual who has to deal with the ADHD person....My friends who don't have ADHD love my ADHD ways. XD

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
covert_pursuit

I wish my ADHD symptoms lessened with time. Mine got worse over time.
No

I have it and so do some of my family members

>If so, how does it affect said person (above) ?
A lot of the time the average person doesn't know why a perfectly capable person does one
thing perfectly and take all day on the other.

Its not a illness. I wish there were more research and ways to cope with out drugs or less of them. Also if more testing was covered by insurance.

Too much made me have insomnia.

>Could the symptoms of this (so called) mental disease lead to further complications?
No clue.. But I know one Adhd is linked to to others

They may be better organized an not get overwhelmed as much.
Were different from the "normal person'. For all we know they have something but are great at hiding or coping with it.

Inf1d3L0Mn1a's Significant Otter

Sparkly Lunatic

10,075 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I've been diagnosed ADD since I was a child (25 now), my sister was diagnosed ADHD and no longer has issues with it, my mother has ADD and it runs in the family on my mother's side. I've made it a point to not only study it in school (3rd year HBA in Psych! biggrin ) but I've also made it a side mission to explain it to my friends who don't understand it, and to get the word out that the meds are not the ONLY or even the BEST answer. But I digress... XD

-- ADHD is not classified as a mental illness. It's a learning disorder, and I would not like to go about calling it an illness because, while it does cause difficulties, it is NOT detrimental to the functioning of one's life or disruptive enough to be classified as a mental illness. In point of fact, in some aspects of life and depending on what you do, it's considered an asset - I'll clarify that later.

-- As I said - me, my sister, my mom and members across my mother's side all have it, and yes, I know many people who have it now and who had it when they were younger.

>If so, how does it affect said person (above)?
-- The effects of ADHD/ADD differ, depending on the person and their personality. Aside from the attention deficits and easy distraction factor, there's also the secondary side effects, such as insatiability (some with ADD/ADHD are prone to developing self-control and eating disorders/issues).

-- I have a largely love/hate relationship with the way this disability is portrayed. It's sensationalized and too often used to describe any child who has trouble focusing, and is too often remedied with medication alone. Every person who has ADD has trouble focusing - not every child who has trouble focusing has ADD. Some my need more exercise at home. Some may be suffering some emotional discomfort. Some may simply be disinterested or may even be gifted. There are many reasons a child may not focus or have an abundance of energy, not every one of them actually has ADD.

-- I was placed on Ritalin for the majority of my elementary school years, before being upgraded to Dexadrin when I developed too high a tolerance for the Ritalin. The medication did not leave me feeling week - but it did produce massive 'snap-back' mood issues and temperamental issues, besides from the fact that it delayed my ability to develop proper emotional coping skills by years and impaired my ability to express and communicate emotion. I spent my entire high school career and a good deal of college having anger issues because during the years in which I was meant to develop the understanding and control of my emotions, I was instead on medication which effectively blocked them out entirely... Can you tell I have issues with the use of meds on kids? smile

-- ADD can complicate your life an a number of ways, but if correctly dealt with and understood, it can also enrich and add things to your life that others who don't have it have to strive to achieve. Yes, you are easily distracted. Yes, you are more susceptible to eating, control and emotional disorders - but you are also better able to multi-task, you're more creative, you're better able to make leaps in logic and understanding that others may not see or take longer to get to because they think in a linear fashion, you can have a greater understanding of emotional and behavioral connections, a greater sensitivity to color, shapes and patterns... But only if you learn the ways to control and access your potential.

The key with ADD is to learn the tools that work for you, and use them. For example, people with high ADHD need to have a varied assortment of active things to do. They need to play sports, go outside - do things that require a lot of energy - BEFORE they sit down to try and focus on something. People ADD often need to be doing multiple things at any given time. For example I am focusing on this task because I currently have the TV on and am also petting my dog with my foot. I have multiple sensory inputs being engaged at a specific time - this occupies the parts of my brain that are easily distracted and thus allows me to focus.

People with ADD have 'special brains'. We're wired differently. My mother once explained it in a way that really illustrates this well. Most people's brains are like your typical one track roller coaster. They loop, circle, twist, turn - but all on the same track. They have multiple cars and trains following (multiple ideas!) but each new leap is on a new rotation.

People with ADD have brains akin to a multi-story, multi-track, multi-car roller coaster. At any given time we can have tracks above and below the main one, cars beside and behind the main idea - we're like Time Lords, popping around the universe. Chaotic, messy - it's why we make messy piles and crazy lists, why we have odd, excitable, disjointed conversations that jump from topic to topic with no apparent connection. Two people with ADD, having an educated discussion, can sometimes seem like it's partly being held mind to mind instead of outloud - like half the information is missing. This is because we are making leaps in connections and logic that make no sense to a linear, one-track sort of mind. We're everywhere at once, and often the way we speak displays that. Ritalin, Dexadrin - all the medications we take for this are aimed to slow us down because our minds move too fast, process too much, to allow us to focus on any one thing at a time. Picture the above roller-coaster, from the spectator's view - there's too many trains moving, too many tracks, too much movement happening. You can't find your friend anymore, can't see which car they're on - that's what our brains are like.

In order to organize the mess, to make order in the chaos, we need to engage those excess tracks, to give them something to do - which is why we doodle, hum, tap. Why we map the mouth movements of the professor, or why we listen to music while we work - and watch TV, and read and... everything else we do. It's because, by engaging multiple different inputs to our senses (sight, sound, smell, touch, etc) we can allow the part of our brain that's fore front to have control, leaving those parts that are there but not the main focus to have something else to engage them.

With out doing that, we're prone to being dragged off course by whatever comes along.

-- Lack of focus, in ability to get things done, low time management abilities... The list goes on. People who don't have ADD have mental filters - these allow you to unconsciously filter out background noises, distracting things you see or feel... All sorts of things. People with ADD do not have these filters. Those people chatting in the back row of the class are as loud and present to me as the professor orating at the front - and because I can't just filter it out, my attention skips in and out of both conversations, which is frustrating and irritating as hell. So I have to work twice as hard to focus on one thing as someone who doesn't have ADD.

*Now, how is it an asset? ADD, with all it's potential for multitasking and creative thinking, is understandably over present in artists and those who are more artistically inclined. I took a three year program in college for Graphic Design - almost every student in my year had ADD or ADHD, or another learning disability, to one degree or another. There's something about the chaos of a creative mind that links to ADD - probably because being overly creative requires the ability to multi-level think. You need to think outside of the box, consider many different potentials and possibilities and balance a great many ideas and tasks. ADD lends itself well to things like that. Interestingly enough, dyslexia was a close second for something shared amongst my classmates.

So, like I said - it's not an illness, it's not a disorder, and really, if it weren't for the fact that people rarely take children and teach them how to work WITH their ADD/ADHD to cope with it, it wouldn't even be a disability. It can be a wonderful asset, if you understand it and yourself.

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
Giovanna_Deiderich
covert_pursuit

It's more common for the symptoms to worsen as you get older in women;

mine is shifting from ADHD to ADD; which is why I've been diagnosed with combination.

Anddd my insomnia has gotten 10x worse ene;;
L0LlTAB0T
Giovanna_Deiderich
covert_pursuit

It's more common for the symptoms to worsen as you get older in women;

mine is shifting from ADHD to ADD; which is why I've been diagnosed with combination.

Anddd my insomnia has gotten 10x worse ene;;

DO you worry before you got to bed? The medicine use to give me insomnia.
Quote:
“ADHD is fraud intended to justify starting children on a life of drug addiction,” said Dr. Edward C. Hamlyn, a founding member of the Royal College of General Practitioners, back in 1998 about the phony condition. Adding to this sentiment, psychiatrists Peter Breggin and Sami Timimi, both of whom oppose pathologizing the symptoms of ADHD, say that ADHD is more of a social construct than it is an objective “disorder.”

Psychiatric profession all about generating obscene profits for Big Pharma

The purpose all along for pathologizing ADHD symptoms, of course, was to generate more profits for the drug industry. According to the citizen watchdog group Citizens Commission on Human Rights International (CCHRI), roughly 20 million American children today are taking dangerous, but expensive, psychiatric drugs for made-up behavioral conditions like ADHD. And another one million or so children have been blatantly and admittedly misdiagnosed with phony behavioral conditions for which psychiatric medications are being prescribed.

I think that sums it up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces