Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
Well; yeah um long story time.

When I was younger I was a gifted programs student; and I had been asked to join the NHS constantly.

Both in and out of school I had...a problem. I'd either get up and walk around the classroom for no reason, or I'd skip around the classroom; usually in a circle. I did this at home constantly as well.

I don't remember what I was doing, and I really bet I didn't know what I was doing either.

But as I got older, I forced myself to stop doing that (though I still have problems with it. Especially when I listen to music) and I had developed semi-depression; so stress levels went through the roof.

As I progressed through latter grade school and into middle school, my memory became worse and worse. I never could keep things organized, but it got worse and worse to the point where I carried around about 200 things in my backpack.

I would complete assignments, and I'd forget to turn them in.

I would forget about what I was doing while I was doing it. I have a VERY bad problem with this now.

It's not as simple as losing my train of thought; because it does not happen when I am switching between points of a topic. It happens in the middle of sentences or speeches; and I usually cannot regain the same enthusiasm / vigor when this happens, so I will usually cut it short and bullcrap through the end of it.

I have, and always have had OCD. I have neurotic worries about anything from a to z; and because of these worries my mind wanders much quicker from subject to subject. I can focus on only one thing at a time, but this thing will change constantly to the point where it is impossible for me to "not think".

When going through old topics looking for certain information I am prone to forgetting about how old it is and posting on it; which is my fault for not paying attention to the dates, however I will still forget even if I try to remember.

I try to place little things to remind me around myself and on myself. Most recently I marked my hand with pink highlighter so that I could remember to do homework, and well I never looked at it/remembered what it meant until the next day right before the class I had marked my hand for. I also remember things right before I go to bed, like while I'm in bed dozing off, and I fall asleep and then forget it in the morning. o3o

As I got older things just...they got more and more cluttered. I would forget to put things away as a child; but it's on a whole new level now that I'm older. There is, for example, about 7 different glasses scattered about the house because I forget to pick them up, even when there's a drink still inside. Same goes with games; I just take it out and put the disc down on the table the console is on, and I WANT to pick them up but I forget.

I have this thing against cleaning other peoples' things as well. Though that's more of an OCD thing.

This is probably unrelated, but I cannot be in any room without some sort of noise. I have to have my electric fan on in my room to do anything in it. I even keep it on during the winter, it's so bad.

I constantly make mistakes on math that have to do with writing down the wrong number; such as these simple examples...

Original problem: 5x + 15= 10

My mistake: 5x + 1 = 10

Original problem 39x = 3

My mistake: 3x = 3

I do this WAAAAYYY too often. ;A;

There is always something lost at my house. And I usually find it when I forget about it, then misplace it because of that.

I'm easily distracted when it comes to people talking to me or if there's something going on around me...

And I honestly cannot remember a lot of my obligations, such as doing the dishes or eating. When I want to get up early I forget to set my alarm for earlier; or I do but I forget I wanted to wake up early so I shut it off...

I also have been diagnosed with normal Anxiety disorder and Insomnia (Because I keep THINKING ABOUT THINGS ;A ; )

tl;dr

I'd probably think that ADHD is bullshit if I didn't have it. However this is getting to the point where I procrastinate TOO much; and I forget so much and so many things I want to remember.
It got WORSE as I got older; and it wasn't because of laziness. I have no motivation because I can't remember what makes me motivated.

There is so much more I could have talked about but I forgot ( ; A ; ) ,
If I were to guess based on what I know of science/biology/psychology,

I think it would be something that has to have an imbalance of some sort of chemical or transmission of a chemical due to a certain mix of genes.

Or more likely it's like the person was so overwhelmed mentally; through everyday activity or otherwise; that how the individual reacted to surroundings or focused lost much of its' productivity.

Spoons gaia_spoons

>Do you believe in ADHD being a mental illness?
>If so, do you have/know someone with ADHD?
>If not, why not?
>If so, how does it affect said person (above) ?
>If not, how do you feel about the marketing of the illness?
>If you have it, did Strattera leave you feeling dizzy, weak, and ill?
>Could the symptoms of this (so called) mental disease lead to further complications?
>How would this affect the normal person's everyday life?

Questionable Shapeshifter

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
I'd probably think it was BS if I didn't have it too. I hat to even try to explain it to people b/c it sounds lik a bunch of lame excuses coming out of my mouth. I dat all the way back to when ADD and ADHD were sperate, and I refuse to acknowledge the change. Not all of us are hyperactive, so I don't know how we all got lumped together. I was ADD for decades, and I'm not about to effectively chnage my diagnosis b/c some experts decided to play games with the criteria.

BTW, the noise in the room probably is related. Part of ADD can be a heightening of one or more of the senses. For me it's my hearing. My kids hated it, b/c I could hear a whisper in the next room. I have to have the TV or music or something b/c if I don't, I'll hear every little thing and it'll drive me crazy.

I think the marketing sux. As soon as some public awarness started it becam vogue. Now everybody has it. And it's BS. If you're blind or deaf, you can say that abd people will accept that they should get in your way when you're waking or need to face you when they talk. But if you say you're ADD, it's just like saying you're a human being these days. Imaging a deaf person asking, Please look at me when you talk b/c I'm deaf" and being told (by a hearing person) "So am I. Do what I do and deal with it." That's what we have to put up with. ADD/ADHD has become such an excuse for everything from laziness to just being an a*****e that those who actually have it are nest just keepingit to themselves so they don't pick up the guilt by association.

Is Strattera one of the new meds? I gave up on meds a long time ago. I found the side affects moretroublesome than the condition. Now I'm the typical lifelong sufferer, hopelessly adicted to both caffiene and nicotene. It's self medication, sure, but I don't really trust the doctors anymore. They've become way too quick to just slap you on meds just on your say so for my taste.

I'm not sure what complications you mean. Social, and emotional, oh hell yeah, constantly. Medical, only if there have been new findings that I'm not aware of.

It would be easier to list the ways it doesn't affect my normal daily life. In fact, I don't think I can think of one. Again, it's like being deaf or blind. You don't think in terms of living "normally". You have a different normal. The blind have to have everything in its place. The deaf need special telephones. And we have to find ways to make our considerations more managable as well. Trying to live "normally" is the worst thing you can do. It'll only make things harder.

Hope some of this helps. heart

Dapper Reveler

Try out coffee and running. Also make sure to make everything really simple for yourself. I beleive that most of symptoms from add come from misuse of mental energy and stress. If I'm in a good mood I'm like a whirlwind of effeciency but it takes a lot of energy for me to be able to relax. I think that's the secret, you have to not be to lazy to relax.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
vwytche

Is Strattera one of the new meds? I gave up on meds a long time ago. I found the side affects moretroublesome than the condition. Now I'm the typical lifelong sufferer, hopelessly adicted to both caffiene and nicotene. It's self medication, sure, but I don't really trust the doctors anymore. They've become way too quick to just slap you on meds just on your say so for my taste.

I'm not sure what complications you mean. Social, and emotional, oh hell yeah, constantly. Medical, only if there have been new findings that I'm not aware of.

It would be easier to list the ways it doesn't affect my normal daily life. In fact, I don't think I can think of one. Again, it's like being deaf or blind. You don't think in terms of living "normally". You have a different normal. The blind have to have everything in its place. The deaf need special telephones. And we have to find ways to make our considerations more managable as well. Trying to live "normally" is the worst thing you can do. It'll only make things harder.

Strattera when I looked it up is a newer med and it is an NRI, norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It is one of the less addictive ADD medications as it does not act on dopamine. Like most stimulants it is not necessary to taper the person off of it though which is an advantage it has over SNRIs (serotonin norepeinephine reuptake inhibitors) like Effexor that also treat ADHD. It still will have the rough side effects common to most stimulant medications though.

There are actually some potential health effects that can result from the effects ADHD has on behavior, but those are indirect. People with ADHD are more likely to take risks and abuse drugs which can cause health problems.

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
AliKat1988
vwytche

Strattera when I looked it up is a newer med and it is an NRI, norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It is one of the less addictive ADD medications as it does not act on dopamine. Like most stimulants it is not necessary to taper the person off of it though which is an advantage it has over SNRIs (serotonin norepeinephine reuptake inhibitors) like Effexor that also treat ADHD. It still will have the rough side effects common to most stimulant medications though.

Oh yeah, I really dodged the bullet there. Especially since I grew up pretty much in pot country. I'm not going to say I never partook, but itwas never something I needed.

I don't know how I avoided addiction, b/c addictive personality pretty much goes hand in hand with ADD. Dyslexia, from what I understand is also very common.

I have no problem with the meds, or those that use them, assuming a proper diagnosis by a compatent professional. But I feel, if its a choice between the ysmptoms, or the side effects, i'll just take the symptoms. Better the evil you know.

There are actually some potential health effects that can result from the effects ADHD has on behavior, but those are indirect. People with ADHD are more likely to take risks and abuse drugs which can cause health problems.

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
Avgvsto
Try out coffee and running. Also make sure to make everything really simple for yourself. I beleive that most of symptoms from add come from misuse of mental energy and stress. If I'm in a good mood I'm like a whirlwind of effeciency but it takes a lot of energy for me to be able to relax. I think that's the secret, you have to not be to lazy to relax.

I drink caffeine daily; and when I don't I have a headache and if I don't think caffeine for extended periods of time I go through withdrawals. ;w;

Well my energy switches on and off; but I usually don't have any because I think I use all of it on stressing. ;A;

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
vwytche
I'd probably think it was BS if I didn't have it too. I hat to even try to explain it to people b/c it sounds lik a bunch of lame excuses coming out of my mouth. I dat all the way back to when ADD and ADHD were sperate, and I refuse to acknowledge the change. Not all of us are hyperactive, so I don't know how we all got lumped together. I was ADD for decades, and I'm not about to effectively chnage my diagnosis b/c some experts decided to play games with the criteria.

BTW, the noise in the room probably is related. Part of ADD can be a heightening of one or more of the senses. For me it's my hearing. My kids hated it, b/c I could hear a whisper in the next room. I have to have the TV or music or something b/c if I don't, I'll hear every little thing and it'll drive me crazy.

I think the marketing sux. As soon as some public awarness started it becam vogue. Now everybody has it. And it's BS. If you're blind or deaf, you can say that abd people will accept that they should get in your way when you're waking or need to face you when they talk. But if you say you're ADD, it's just like saying you're a human being these days. Imaging a deaf person asking, Please look at me when you talk b/c I'm deaf" and being told (by a hearing person) "So am I. Do what I do and deal with it." That's what we have to put up with. ADD/ADHD has become such an excuse for everything from laziness to just being an a*****e that those who actually have it are nest just keepingit to themselves so they don't pick up the guilt by association.

It probably is sound; because it's kind of odd how well I can hear someone come into large rooms even if I'm on the opposite side...

It's odd but the atmosphere/air changes ;A;

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
L0LlTAB0T
vwytche

It probably is sound; because it's kind of odd how well I can hear someone come into large rooms even if I'm on the opposite side...

It's odd but the atmosphere/air changes ;A;

Yup, and sometimes when people yell, it actually physically hurts, right? And sometimes a sudden loud noise can make you jump higher than the ceiling, or start you shaking like a chahuahua puppy?

It's not like super hearing, it's more like there are times when it's just oversensative. I have stretches where it's tcactically as well, where I'm just like, "Touch me and die." People that know me well know, you don't just rush up and scoop me up into a hug. You approach slowly and let me either meet you have way, or back away b/c I might be "in one of my moods". It can be real insulting to people that don't understand. But for me, at the wrong time, any little touch can just run through my whole system with that, get it off me, feeling. Other times, I'm no different from anyone else. My husband is a real cuddlr and he knows that s there are going to be times I'm just going to jump up and say, OK we're done now, and that has to be OK b/c it's not something I do intentionally.

We can be a trial to live w/, but the people who really care will at least try to understand.

nextjune's King

Romantic Paradox

37,400 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
I can't exact understand which ADD/ADHD you have.
Do you have the ADHD, Combined Type, Predominantly Inattentive Type, or the Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type?

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
K i n g X u m o t - XVI
I can't exact understand which ADD/ADHD you have.
Do you have the ADHD, Combined Type, Predominantly Inattentive Type, or the Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type?

I was listed as Combined type. ouo
When people tell me ADHD isn't a real thing I sometimes want to shove a bottle of Adderall down their throat.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
Some docs have told me when i was younger that i had add or adhd.

I simply cannot pay attention or i don't want to. I didn't believe it for a long time because i would always get great grades and such in school...however... when i was driving one day I saw staring at the road. The cars in front of me were gradually stopping but i didn't put on the brakes. Someone next to me had to say stop. Luckily, i didn't hit anyone.

So now i am starting to think maybe i do have add/adhd. I don't take medicine or anything but i do try to focus more. I think i got good grades because i studied...so my solution is i just focus more. lol

idk maybe other factors were making me space out a little *shrug

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
x_DivineDesire_x

I simply cannot pay attention or i don't want to. I didn't believe it for a long time because i would always get great grades and such in school...however... when i was driving one day I saw staring at the road. The cars in front of me were gradually stopping but i didn't put on the brakes. Someone next to me had to say stop. Luckily, i didn't hit anyone.

So now i am starting to think maybe i do have add/adhd. I don't take medicine or anything but i do try to focus more. I think i got good grades because i studied...so my solution is i just focus more. lol

Common misconception ADD/ADHD=bad grades

Not so, it's not a measure of inteligence. It has symptoms that can make learning difficult b/c they effect the ability to focus, and the way the brain processes data. There are various way s to deal with these, and if one find some of them, instictively, at an early age, than they are going to counteract some of the fallout that will land on another that hasn't been ale to do so.

My grades sucked, and I always thought I was stupid. Until I got to college and discovered that I was inclass w/ some real.....um not the brightest crayons in the box. And I found out, I was damned smart. I just had a different way of learning.

If you're dealing OK than you don't need meds. Many meds are just volume control, and more for the benefit of those around you rather than you. Find what helps you focus, and do it. Like me, if I don't have background noise, forget it. I'll be too busy listening to evey little thing going on within a mile to care what's happening right in front of me. I need something to drown it out. And if there's a bright light in the room, write me off, I'll be staring at it.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
vwytche
x_DivineDesire_x

Not so, it's not a measure of inteligence. It has symptoms that can make learning difficult b/c they effect the ability to focus, and the way the brain processes data. There are various way s to deal with these, and if one find some of them, instinctively, at an early age, than they are going to counteract some of the fallout that will land on another that hasn't been ale to do so.

My grades sucked, and I always thought I was stupid. Until I got to college and discovered that I was inclass w/ some real.....um not the brightest crayons in the box. And I found out, I was damned smart. I just had a different way of learning.

If you're dealing OK than you don't need meds. Many meds are just volume control, and more for the benefit of those around you rather than you. Find what helps you focus, and do it. Like me, if I don't have background noise, forget it. I'll be too busy listening to evey little thing going on within a mile to care what's happening right in front of me. I need something to drown it out. And if there's a bright light in the room, write me off, I'll be staring at it.

I know it isn't a measure of intelligence. However I am just wonder what I did exactly that helped me counter it. Or maybe I just don't have adhd or add at all...Another doctor said that my problem could be that my visual intelligence is extremely high... but my audio and other skills had to suffer a little.

I am just confused as to what some docs (from early age) thought i had. lol
I think what was happening was when I was little I would never like to do anything else other than entertain my visual intelligence?

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
x_DivineDesire_x
vwytche
x_DivineDesire_x

Not so, it's not a measure of inteligence. It has symptoms that can make learning difficult b/c they effect the ability to focus, and the way the brain processes data. There are various way s to deal with these, and if one find some of them, instinctively, at an early age, than they are going to counteract some of the fallout that will land on another that hasn't been ale to do so.

I know it isn't a measure of intelligence. However I am just wonder what I did exactly that helped me counter it. Or maybe I just don't have adhd or add at all...Another doctor said that my problem could be that my visual intelligence is extremely high... but my audio and other skills had to suffer a little.

I am just confused as to what some docs (from early age) thought i had. lol
I think what was happening was when I was little I would never like to do anything else other than entertain my visual intelligence?

There does tend to be a rush to diagnosis, and I don't know what time frame you're talking about so thats a varable.

They have discovered that people don't just learn. There are various stradgeies that different peoole use, and will repsond best if the teaching is in that format. I'm wanting to say they're visual, audial, textual, and hands on. It's been a long time, so don't quote me.

But the long and short is, if all a teacher does is lecture then, that great for the audial learners, but everybody else is going to be at a disadvantage. Same for textual learners if she like to give reading assignments. So the learning environment has to be figured in whenever assessing preformance.

Me, I'm hands on. You can explain something to me until you're blue in the face, but until you let me jst do it, mess it up a few times, and learn from my own mistakes, I'm just not going to get it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff