• Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
iAmensu Saje
Archlord Ayperos
Archlord Ayperos, this spoiler contains the content intended for you! smile
Archlord Ayperos
[abbr="ZeroOmega is the BRONY KING!"]ZeroOmega[/abbr]
Doesn't work

It doesn't work because it's not implemented yet. He means that's one that he wants to add in. smile

I already know glob dammit!

Haha. My apologies, kind sir. I just noticed your post and was making the attempt to help you out (wasn't sure if you had known that it wasn't a working tag yet or not). I know a lot of people on Gaia just pass posts like that by without saying anything. so I thought I'd try to help. I hope you have a wonderful day.

The most right above yours was of me telling somebody else that I already known like ten minutes before xD

Koleda's Senpai

Fandom Trash

carbonphyber
Crystal Sparda
heart ドキドキ ドキドキ heart
      2- (More directed toward Carbon) Can you post what the updated list code options are?
      I had tried figuring it out in my test thread, but failed hard. xd

The options will be similar to:
http://htmldog.com/reference/cssproperties/list-style-type/

Also, I will make it so
[list=1]

translates the same as
[list=decimal]
(so you can use the shorter one.. and it is backwards-compatible)

And I dislike users abusing the
[list]
Tag for left-indents so I will add an
[indent]
(which will left-indent the text inside of it -- identically to the current LIST tag) and
[indent=right]
which will similarly right-indent.

heart ドキドキ ドキドキ heart
      Ah, okay! Thank you for that!
      sweatdrop You'd HATE my quest thread then, so no clicky the "This Is Sparda!" banner in mah sig! xd
      I'll be sure to switch over to the indent tags once the update is pushed. 3nodding

Rindul's Fav

Shady Shapeshifter

23,100 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cool Cat 500
could we possibly refine spoilers to allow for customizing the title?

such as:
[spoiler="cool title here"]amazing content hidden/collapsed here[/spoiler]

this is extremely helpful in making guides and such, where you can place the title of the hidden section ON the spoiler button itself so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle of repetitive buttons

The default would, of course, be as it is now, but with ability to change the button text (maybe a change in the button style might also help accommodate this ability)

Tipsy Shapeshifter

One thing I think would be useful would be the ability to modify the img BBC code. I know it's possible as I have seen many reference sites list different IMG options.

Primarily, I think being able to re-size images would be incredibly useful to most forum-users and managers. Alt-text would also be a plus, allowing for a short description to be given for people with horrendous internet connections.

Example code for this would be as follows:

[img height="XXX" width="XXX"]http://gaiaonline.com/someimage.png[/img]

and
[img alt="This is an example"]http://gaiaonline.com/someimage.png[/img]

Which would use what I believe are basic HTML code replacements... I haven't worked with HTML in some time, but I know those are possible commands!

Skilled Genius

carbonphyber

I completely 100% agree, it's heavily abused! This will be far better. smile I have a question though. How much of these new tags will be in the WYSIWYG bar? Many people will not know about these changes unless they can visually see the buttons for them to use it, an announcement would help as well, but often people skip over those as well. So what will be the efforts of making this a well-known public change?

Also for the [indent] tag, will there be a closing tag, so that entire blocked lines will be indented?

Skilled Genius

carbonphyber
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber
A little off-topic, but still related to a different type of parsing.

Something that gets parsed that really bothers me, and we've talked about it before, Carbonphyber. The [at]import CSS rule. Not only can we not use it, we can't talk about it using the actual @ symbol. Here's what bothers me about it, you said it gets removed because of XSS issues pertaining to "CSS expressions" something IE6 can read. You guys no longer support IE7 let alone IE6, so can we have it back yet!? I see no reason to keep it from us because of a browser that you don't even support any longer. Not to mention, I have yet to meet anyone else that even knows what a CSS expression was, let alone know how to abuse it.
This is already fixed in the new parser.

The XSS filter we use on the site right now is a broadsword (it trims anything that _could_ possibly be used in any possible context) when what we need is a scalpel. The new parser knows about context and trims what is needed to be safe with very little else (so far only some entities and unicode escape sequences).

Unfortunately even after we "drop support" for browsers, we can't immediately make them vulnerable to security exploits. It only takes one very smart (or very resourceful) person to destroy the security of the site. So long as we have a lot of eyeballs and have accounts that have value, we need to make very sure that we don't open up known exploits.
Carbonphyber, you're one of my favorite devs. Yet you make me so sad sometimes. Lol. I really do wanna see this as a usable rule someday, but I understand the concerns with account safety. Doesn't stop me from periodically asking though, in hope that you guys will enable us to be able to use it.

Oh! Something else! With the new parsing system will we be able to use the first child level combinator ( > ) in the CSS? It would be great if we can! It would reduce some of the excessive repeating CSS that has to be done. For instance, with the spoilers inside of spoilers or lists inside of lists. Please, oh please? I know this one is possible. I know why you parse it out, it's to prevent users from ending the style element early and injecting a script, but all you need to do is parse out certain syntax, &/style& and &script& &/script& along with anything else that I can't think of off the top of my head that may cause security issues. Thus enabling us to simply use parent > Fchild smile

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Sakura Parfait
BRAZEKOOL
Sakura Parfait
BRAZEKOOL
Contest and Guild
BRAZEKOOL
Mate you can already pick whatever colour you want using hex codes. Look at my bb-code when you quote me, see where is says color and I've got a hash then a number, google image search "hex color code chart", or open photoshop and pick a colour you want, then the mix of RBG is your hex code. Either way.
I am talking about under the single small letter A list.
Just memorize the hex codes.

Except that it's hard to do that when the colors you use differs a lot. For example, the hex codes that I use for dialogue in my RP posts per character are all different from each other, i.e. the shade of pink that I use for one character is different from the shade of pink that I use for another character. And it's impossible to memorize all the pink hexcodes.

It's why I use colourlovers. I look for a specific shade of color I want, then copy-paste the hex code into my post.
Hardly impossible. Just study what each character changes, type them in and preview, changing one character at a time in value until you understand what they all do, then you can just decide a color mix you want and write it. It's not that hard.

I'm not going to waste my time doing that. :/ Copy-pasting a hex code is much faster than doing all of that. And not everyone has good memory skills, you know. I've never been good at remembering combinations of letters and numbers.
Fair enough.
It's something you can train should you desire the ability, but who has the time right.

Codebreaking Sex Symbol

8,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber

I completely 100% agree, it's heavily abused! This will be far better. smile I have a question though. How much of these new tags will be in the WYSIWYG bar? Many people will not know about these changes unless they can visually see the buttons for them to use it, an announcement would help as well, but often people skip over those as well. So what will be the efforts of making this a well-known public change?

Also for the [indent] tag, will there be a closing tag, so that entire blocked lines will be indented?
I will create an official documentation topic and link to it from the WYSIWYG widget.

All tags will auto-close unless you explicitly close them.
I am trying to make all inline tags be strictly descendants of block tags (which is how W3C HTML DOM tree works).

I will try to update the WYSIWYG widget to accomodate additional functionality of the new parser.

Codebreaking Sex Symbol

8,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber

Something that gets parsed that really bothers me, and we've talked about it before, Carbonphyber. The [at]import CSS rule. Not only can we not use it, we can't talk about it using the actual @ symbol. Here's what bothers me about it, you said it gets removed because of XSS issues pertaining to "CSS expressions" something IE6 can read. You guys no longer support IE7 let alone IE6, so can we have it back yet!? I see no reason to keep it from us because of a browser that you don't even support any longer. Not to mention, I have yet to meet anyone else that even knows what a CSS expression was, let alone know how to abuse it.

The XSS filter we use on the site right now is a broadsword (it trims anything that _could_ possibly be used in any possible context) when what we need is a scalpel. The new parser knows about context and trims what is needed to be safe with very little else (so far only some entities and unicode escape sequences).

Unfortunately even after we "drop support" for browsers, we can't immediately make them vulnerable to security exploits. It only takes one very smart (or very resourceful) person to destroy the security of the site. So long as we have a lot of eyeballs and have accounts that have value, we need to make very sure that we don't open up known exploits.
Carbonphyber, you're one of my favorite devs. Yet you make me so sad sometimes. Lol. I really do wanna see this as a usable rule someday, but I understand the concerns with account safety. Doesn't stop me from periodically asking though, in hope that you guys will enable us to be able to use it.

Oh! Something else! With the new parsing system will we be able to use the first child level combinator ( > ) in the CSS? It would be great if we can! It would reduce some of the excessive repeating CSS that has to be done. For instance, with the spoilers inside of spoilers or lists inside of lists. Please, oh please? I know this one is possible. I know why you parse it out, it's to prevent users from ending the style element early and injecting a script, but all you need to do is parse out certain syntax, &/style& and &script& &/script& along with anything else that I can't think of off the top of my head that may cause security issues. Thus enabling us to simply use parent > Fchild smile
I'm sorry I misunderstood your intentions.

Profiles Styles will be unchanged for now. Only the BBCoded-content in profiles will change, not the styling injections.

Skilled Genius

carbonphyber
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber

I will create an official documentation topic and link to it from the WYSIWYG widget.

All tags will auto-close unless you explicitly close them.
I am trying to make all inline tags be strictly descendants of block tags (which is how W3C HTML DOM tree works).

I will try to update the WYSIWYG widget to accomodate additional functionality of the new parser.
Sounds good, but you're not adding any of the new and changed BBcode options to the bar?

Skilled Genius

carbonphyber
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber

Profiles Styles will be unchanged for now. Only the BBCoded-content in profiles will change, not the styling injections.
Ahh, well just checking. Anyway, I'm highly ecstatic about these well needed changes and letting many of my friends know of what's being changed and added. smile

Skilled Genius

carbonphyber
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber
Knight Yoshi
carbonphyber

Well mostly I'm just asking what parsing changes are being made.

Codebreaking Genius

10,575 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Wall Street 200
carbonphyber

I'd like to see simplified CSS if that's possible. I've seen it on another site and it's used mainly for post customization in terms of looks, templates, you name it. While it could potentially create some issues, I'd definitely use it if I was decorating, say, a guild page.

If that cannot be implemented, I'd like to see backgrounds for posts. For example:
[background=#000000]Text here[/background]
or
[background=image url here]Text here[/background]

A simple BBCode that would make life a bit more easier is [hr][/hr] for the dividing line (I don't know the proper terminology for this D: ). For roleplays, many people usually write for more than one character in a post, so distinguishing between these by means of a simple divider would help those (even if they write in default font colors).

Other than that, I feel the add media and YouTube BBCode buttons should be combined to just be add media with YouTube as a drop-down option. There should also be an option to hide/remove the BBCode/emotes buttons when writing a post since there are many users who don't need/use said menus. I find them more of a distraction than anything. Along with that suggestion, with the lite forums in place, people may have a hard time loading/viewing BBCode, so an option to disable all BBCode might be advisable.

Edit: I apologize if I seem a bit overly formal or judgmental. I usually don't post in the forums anymore, so I'm not entirely sure how to act.

Rainbow Loiterer

carbonphyber
[list]
Tag for left-indents so I will add an
[indent]
(which will left-indent the text inside of it -- identically to the current LIST tag) and
[indent=right]
which will similarly right-indent.

Hmm~ I do tend to abuse the List code because it makes roleplay posts look both neater and prettier. D: But I promise to revert my ways! ;p

I'm super excited about the indent codes, thanks for adding them in! ~<3

Tenacious Seeker

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas