Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Object of Affection 150
As a fan of Tolkien, power metal and concept albums Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" is pretty much the greatest thing ever. If you haven't given it a listen you definitely should. There are actually quite a few metal bands that are influenced by the works of J.R.R. Tolkien: Battlelore, Rivendell, Summoning...Do you guys listen to any of 'em?

Here are two of my favorite "Tolkien Metal" songs:

"Mithrandir" by Minas Morgul

"Dreams of Life Beyond My Shire Beloved" by Orkrist

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
Come on...I can't be the only metalheaded Tolkien fan here, right?

Divine Bard

13,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
I've never been a metal fan, let alone of Tolkien metal. I'm much more of a folksy or orchestral person when it comes to my Tolkien-based music.

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
Youseine_Mei
I've never been a metal fan, let alone of Tolkien metal. I'm much more of a folksy or orchestral person when it comes to my Tolkien-based music.

Tolkien Metal is as a rule more folksy and melodic than the Black Metal from which it derived, though if someone isn't a fan of the latter I suppose they wouldn't really appreciate the difference. I love the way the distorted guitars/growls and the folk instruments/clean vocals play off each other. I definitely enjoy straight orchestral music too, though. What're some of your favorite Tolkien-inspired songs? I take it you liked Neil Finn's "Song of the Lonely Mountain?"

Menstrual Cramps's Partner In Crime

Fashionista

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And of course we can't forget Blind Guardian's "Lord of the Rings!".

Dapper Hunter

The song "Frodo's Dream" by Van Canto is good.

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
Adrien Gilles

And of course we can't forget Blind Guardian's "Lord of the Rings!".

Naturally, but it doesn't get much better than "Mirror Mirror" or "Time Stands Still" when it comes to Guardian and Tolkien.

KLachcik

I haven't been able to really get into Van Canto. A Capella Metal is...weird. Do they have any other songs inspired by The Lord of the Rings?

High-functioning Werewolf

13,725 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Team Jacob 100
KLachcik

Van Canto in general is good. 3nodding

That particular song sounds very heavily influenced by Blind Guardian. Pretty sure Frodo's dream is the only LOTR related song Van Canto has.

Wheezing Codger

I thought DragonForce might of had a few Tolkien inspired songs too? Also Demons & Wizards, which is the love-child-band of Blind Guardian and Iced Earth. Cruachan also has some Tolkien inspiration in their songs as well. But you already named most of the ones I know that are heavily Tolkien related.

There is also a ridiculous amount of metal bands named after Tolkien, even if their music isn't Tolkien based. Amon Amarth (recommended), Cirith Ungol, and Arkenstone are all I can think of right now though.

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I'm not sure of their genre but there was this album at my work titled In Elven Lands. I really want to listen to it but someone bought it...

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
Kettleburn
There is also a ridiculous amount of metal bands named after Tolkien, even if their music isn't Tolkien based. Amon Amarth (recommended), Cirith Ungol, and Arkenstone are all I can think of right now though.

Let us not forget Gorgoroth. I do enjoy Amon Amarth though I hate it when bands do this. It's like the band Atreyu...not a single song about the NeverEnding Story.

Born Backwards
I'm not sure of their genre but there was this album at my work titled In Elven Lands. I really want to listen to it but someone bought it...

I think I've seen some of the songs on Youtube. I'll have to give 'em a listen.

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
spoonybard111
I think I've seen some of the songs on Youtube. I'll have to give 'em a listen.

Oh cool, nice!
It's not exactly a Tolkien metal band, but it's relevant enough, I think.

Christopher Lee released two metal albums: Charlemagne: The Omens of Death and Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross.

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
Astrid Fay
It's not exactly a Tolkien metal band, but it's relevant enough, I think.

Christopher Lee released two metal albums: Charlemagne: The Omens of Death and Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross.

I didn't know he had released the second one, but I've listened to Sword and Cross way too many times. I SHED THE BLOOD OF THE SAXON MEN!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff