Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Gawker

dead
Yeah I think there's a definite connection. One of the warning signs that I'm heading for a bout of depression is that I suddenly become really obsessive about what I eat. It's a way to hold on to a sense of control.

Sparkly Lunatic

I always thought depression was more associated with overeating or unhealthy eating, not the other way around. But I am sure individual differences come into play here.

Sparkly Lunatic

Got Sick
THeSLuSH
I always thought depression was more associated with overeating or unhealthy eating, not the other way around. But I am sure individual differences come into play here.

I don't think it's that people start not eating when they're depressed. What I think is that you just get depressed once you start not eating.

Good point.
I hypothesize that anorexia neurvosa occurs among young women who seek feelings of validation too far in self-image, their concept of self becomes weak and their grip on reality anemic.

Fashionable Fatcat

4,550 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Gaian 50
i hardly ate before when i had severe depression
i eat much better now
Depression, anxiety, and paranoia are all the roots of more severe mental problems, such as OCD, and eating disorders, as mentioned in the topic.

It's very possible to have an addiction to eating disorders without being depressed, however, more often than not it is almost directly linked. Anorexia is often times fueled by the need to be loved and to be happy that by which they believe can only be achieved if they are skinny. If they eat, they are useless, unloved, unhappy, fat, etc.

But yes, they are definitely linked. You can have an eating disorder without having depression, however severe depression often times comes hand in hand with eating disorders or OCD, which are arguably related (eating disorders manifesting themselves physically, OCD more internally).
Got Sick
peppermintpatchwork
You can have an eating disorder without having depression, however severe depression often times comes hand in hand with eating disorders or OCD, which are arguably related (eating disorders manifesting themselves physically, OCD more internally).

I started these eating habits way before I got depressed, so it's like... does depression cause it, or does it cause depression?

You tell me.
Rather than trying to define what you have by a square, to-the-T, textbook definition, you tell me.
Do you feel depressed?
Depressed enough to altar your eating habits in hopes of feeling happy for once?
Or do you just have these odd eating habits without it.
Your depression could have been brought on with or without your eating habits (which, if you don't mind, I'd like you to define. Do you just forget to eat/choose not to eat as much as normal? or do you actually go days on end without eating forcibly choosing to not eat when offered. Also keep in mind eating disorders aren't obsessions about food theyre obsessions about weight and body image.)
I don't know I feel you're just being very vague. I'm more than 100% sure that if your depression was brought on by your eating habits, or vice versa, you'd know.
If you don't mind my assumptions, I feel you just have your "eating habits" and then habitually feel sad.
Got Sick
peppermintpatchwork
Got Sick
peppermintpatchwork
You can have an eating disorder without having depression, however severe depression often times comes hand in hand with eating disorders or OCD, which are arguably related (eating disorders manifesting themselves physically, OCD more internally).

I started these eating habits way before I got depressed, so it's like... does depression cause it, or does it cause depression?

You tell me.
Rather than trying to define what you have by a square, to-the-T, textbook definition, you tell me.
Do you feel depressed?
Depressed enough to altar your eating habits in hopes of feeling happy for once?
Or do you just have these odd eating habits without it.
Your depression could have been brought on with or without your eating habits (which, if you don't mind, I'd like you to define. Do you just forget to eat/choose not to eat as much as normal? or do you actually go days on end without eating forcibly choosing to not eat when offered. Also keep in mind eating disorders aren't obsessions about food theyre obsessions about weight and body image.)
I don't know I feel you're just being very vague. I'm more than 100% sure that if your depression was brought on by your eating habits, or vice versa, you'd know.
If you don't mind my assumptions, I feel you just have your "eating habits" and then habitually feel sad.

Thank you, O great one. Your wisdom has truly awakened me.

I wasn't realy talking about me, but all anorexics in general. But the speech really was excellent. I feel you've proved your intelligence to everyone on this thread and beyond.

I think you're at least 99% wrong. I can't tell whether or not I'm actually depressed or if the depression is just there.

Also, anorexia is equal parts obessing over weight and obsessing over food. Anorexics love to eat. They love to bake food, look at food, and eat food. I think about food all the time. Of course, I also think about weight all the time. (Thanks for telling me about it, though. I totally forgot the side effects of my disorder).

My deepest apologies... I wasn't aware if you were asking on your behalf or not and to be quite honest I was a bit confused based on how you replied. I hope you'll forgive me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff