Welcome to Gaia! ::

Indulgent Star

User Image
User Image xxxxx

Shey’s head was spinning. The pain in her arm was not ceasing. Every move that she made felt like hard labor, even if the movement wasn’t even her own. While Shayla and the blonde had practically lifted Shey onto the beast without her even putting forth any effort, she still felt exhausted by it.

As she settled between her two new companions and prepared herself for the ride, Shey had to constantly remind herself to breathe. It felt like fire was searing through her injured arm, robbing her of all thought and filling her senses with a pain unlike anything she’d ever felt. She cast another Cure spell on her arm, hoping – praying – that it would help.

Shey was vaguely aware of conversation between Shayla and the boy, but she couldn’t comprehend a word they were saying. It was so disorienting, the feeling that had taken her. Her entire body felt cold and numb, but she was somehow aware of it trembling. Shock. She was going into shock …right?

She was jolted from this realization when the undead canine bounded forward, its movements causing the three riders to feel every stride. This, of course, caused Shey’s arms to move each time the beast ran forward. She felt her breath hitch when the pain hit her again, assaulting her over and over and over again in never ending waves. Shey wanted to cry out so badly, but she couldn’t find her voice. She felt like her head was now spinning violently, causing her vision to double, and make her feel nauseous.

Leaning back into the boy, Shey tried to forget. She tried to bring herself back to a place that made sense to her. Bakura. Being with him. Being held tightly in his arms. She smiled a pained smile and slowly closed her eyes, fully trusting that the blonde Bakura would keep her safely in place if she allowed herself a moment to relax.

In what seemed to be the next moment, Shey was being helped down off the creature. She felt completely dazed and didn’t know why they had stopped. She was vaguely aware of the few small buildings and tents that were nearby, but her thoughts weren’t processing anything. She didn’t remember how long it took to get to this village or when they even arrived. Had she… passed out?

Slowly she was becoming more aware of things, aware that Shayla was questioning the boy about if he knew where they were. Shey said nothing to further question the blonde, more concerned by the fact that her head was beginning to spin again and her nausea from earlier was finally catching up to her.

The youth looked to Shayla and nodded. “Yeah, I do. I passed through here all the time with the caravan.”

He paused, his expression slowly turning hopeful as a memory seemed to return to him. “Actually, I think I may know some people who can help us!” He said, his voice more optimistic than it had been before. As he turned, he stated, “I’ll be back as soon as possible!”

Taking a few hurried steps, he paused again to slightly turn back to face the two girls. “Oh, and I’m Alibaba.”

And with that, Alibaba turned again and disappeared into the strangely unnatural darkness of the night.

Shayla then turned her attention to Shey to overlook her wound. Hearing Shayla talk about it only seemed to serve to make Shey more aware of the pain she was in. It felt like that fire from her arm was slowly spreading out into the rest of her body, making her feel sick and dizzy all at once. Her body was still trembling and she had to wonder if shock really lasted this long.

Immediately after Shayla said she wished she could heal Shey with her magic, Shey shook her head. “No… no, magic isn’t working. I’ve been trying to heal myself this whole past time and I don’t think it’s doing any good. I mean…” Shey paused, slightly hesitating, though she didn’t know why. “Magic worked in the beginning. My arm looked faaaar worse when this was initially inflicted. But now when I try to heal it… well, I think it’s still working, but the pain only seems to be getting worse and I feel like it’s making me si—”

Shey’s voice cut off as that wave of nausea she’d been trying to hold back finally took hold of her. Her legs turned to jelly beneath her and, as she fell, she turned away from Shayla to give herself some privacy. She found herself emptying her stomach right then and there, feeling completely self-conscious, humiliated and degraded.

She had to take a moment to herself after she threw up, trying to focus herself and to get her body under her control again. She felt like she was going to pass out – something she was now certain had happened to her earlier. Her vision kept doubling; multiple images all floating around in a haze in her line of sight.

There were voices then. Shey made an attempt to turn and look to see what was happening, afraid that her body wouldn’t listen to her anymore. That blonde kid – Alibaba – was running back to them with another man following behind him. Disoriented as she was, she wasn’t able to really focus on what the other man looked like. Like Alibaba, this man was dominated by shadows, which made it even harder for the girl to see him. Given that this new stranger looked a lot darker than Alibaba, it was safe to assume that he had darker skin like Shayla. Like Bakura.

Wait!

Shey’s eyes widened in shock and disbelief. Could it be? Could it really, possibly be? The dark skin, the accentuated white hair and violet eyes, the red coat billowing out behind him, the shine of the Senneth Items… Bakura?! Shey couldn’t deny what she saw. It was him! It was really him! A wide smile broke out across her face, the pain in her arm and the violent tremors that shook her body not seeming so bad anymore. The immense joy she felt in this moment outweighed all of the bad things that had happened to her thus far.

“Bakura!” She cried out through a cracked voice while struggling to reach out to him. “Bakura, you’re really here!”

Bakura and Alibaba came to a stop in front of the two girls and – at Shey’s reaction – he turned to Alibaba and gave him a questioning look. Alibaba shrugged, looking completely confused as his worried gaze shifted from Shey, to Bakura, to Shayla.

“Who’s Bakura?” He asked Shayla as he cast another worried glance in Shey’s direction.

Shey was confused by Alibaba’s question. Wasn’t it obvious who Bakura was just from what she’d said? A bad feeling was welling in her gut, but she didn’t know why. She tried to reason with herself that the feeling only appeared because she hadn’t been feeling well.

“You said she was attacked by Shadow Fiends?” Bakura asked Alibaba. He glanced at Fluffy, his expression unsure about the creature, much like Alibaba’s had been when earlier confronted with the beast. Bakura knelt down beside Shey, reaching out an arm to support her so she wouldn’t collapse into the black sand. In a soft, polite voice which didn’t fit his personality at all, Bakura asked her, “What is your name, girl? How are you feeling right now?”

Shey’s smile was half fading away into pained confusion at Bakura’s question. “Wha-what are you talking about? It’s me …Shey. Don’t you remember? We… we were out tomb robbing, and… and then something happened and we were separated.”

Bakura now looked really worried and Shey couldn’t fathom any reason as to why. He carefully looked her over, taking extra time to look at her eyes and then her arm. He frowned when he looked at her injury and, carefully and gently, he pulled Shey into his arms so he could support her and use both hands to remove the makeshift bind she’d made earlier.

The moment he tried to remove the ripped fabric, Shey’s eyes widened in shock. She hissed and began to writhe in his arms at the sudden pain that over-took her. She let out an agonized cry and then, unable to cope with the pain any longer, she slumped into Bakura’s arms and everything around her faded to black.

[[ ooc;; i'm gonna be making an alibaba post to follow this one. shey's perspective isn't gonna make sense if i don't. ]]

Indulgent Star

User Image
User Image
It had been one hell of a night.

Alibaba knew the risks of working in the caravans that traversed the desert, and he knew full well the risks of travelling at night. However, with the constant danger that posed the people who worked the caravan, they were usually paid extremely well. Alibaba needed the money desperately, so he took the job and had been travelling with this particular caravan for many years. They had been lucky and had never had any troubles at all crossing the deserts… until now.

When the fiends attacked, Alibaba quickly came to the conclusion that his life would be over. Absolutely terrified, he had hid beneath a tarp and played dead, completely helpless as he listened to the agonized screams of the victims around him. While he might have survived this, he would have to go out sooner or later. Then the fiends would devour him. He never expected to be saved by two angels who – even in the black of night – were lit up like the sun, nor could he fathom that these two could actually control a shadow fiend.

While they hadn’t met in the best of ways (though, in his defense, Alibaba really thought that the shadow fiend with them would kill them all), they shared something in common: they all survived the shadow fiends’ assault. With one minor exception.

Once they’d arrived at the small village of Al Qaaran, Alibaba left the two girls with the promise that he would go find help. And he knew just where to look, too.

He arrived at a small house that looked like the walls were beginning to crack and crumble, but still seemed to be in good shape. Running up to the entrance, he knocked loudly on the wooden door a couple of times before waiting. No answer. He knocked again. This time, after a moment of waiting, the door opened to reveal a dark-skinned man who appeared to be in his mid-thirties. Clashing against his tanned skin, he had white hair and green eyes, his expression looking aged and tired, having been woken in the middle of the night. However, as he looked at the panicked youth – a familiar face whom he’d seen quite a few times before – he became much more alert and receptive to the boy’s situation.

“Jethro!” Alibaba exclaimed, sounding completely out of breath. “H-help… please! … An attack… on the caravan! Shadow… Fiends! Barely got… away alive!”

With mention of the Shadow Fiends, the man – Jethro – became extremely worried. “Alibaba, calm yourself! What exactly happened? How were you able to survive?

At Jethro’s command, Alibaba took a moment to catch his breath. Able to speak more clearly, he explained the situation to Jethro; how the caravan was attacked, how he’d been saved by the two girls, how the one could control a shadow fiend which she claimed was dead, and how the other girl was severely hurt and needed medical attention right away.

As he finished his explanation, a boy of thirteen who shared Jethro’s appearance save for the younger’s brown hair, came to the doorway and stood slightly behind Jethro. In a voice which indicated that this boy was trying to sound grown up, he asked, “Father, what’s the matter? What’s going on?”

Jethro turned to the boy and, in a stern voice, commanded, “Adjo, stay here. I need you to prepare a room as quickly as you can. We’re going to be having guests.”

Adjo nodded and withdrew into the house, while Jethro then followed Alibaba out into the night. Alibaba quickly led him back to the other two girls, calling out to get their attention.

It was then that something really strange happened. Shey looked to Jethro and smiled really happily while calling out to him. Only… she called him by a different name. She called him ‘Bakura’. Alibaba and Jethro exchanged confused glances, then Alibaba looked to the other girl (had she mentioned her name? He couldn’t remember) for a possible answer.

“Who’s Bakura?” He asked with another worried glance back in Shey’s direction.

“You said she was attacked by Shadow Fiends?” Jethro asked before kneeling down beside the injured Shey. “What is your name, girl? How are you feeling right now?”

When Shey became confused, Alibaba was really beginning to wonder. Was she really in so much pain that she was beginning to act crazy? Her response to Jethro threw Alibaba for a loop. Tomb robbing? Was this girl a thief? And how could she have possibly been tomb robbing if she was in the middle of the desert with the other girl?

Alibaba watched as Jethro looked the girl over, watching the man’s expressions when he glanced at Shey’s hazy eyes and her injured arm. He found himself cringing when Jethro tried to remove the girl’s bandage; the sounds that she emitted making him realize the pain she must have been in.

He was even more shocked when he saw what her arm looked like. It was covered in blood and it was swollen and blistering, but there were no cuts or bite marks anywhere. Actually, there were definite scars …but nothing to indicate that she’d recently been hurt. Jethro seemed equally confused about it, but that didn’t stop him from taking action.

Jethro picked the unconscious girl up into his arms and motioned for Alibaba and the other girl to follow him. “Come quickly. I fear the rumours about the Shadow Fiends are true and they are venomous. If we don’t get this girl an antidote – and quickly – she will die.”

Eloquent Conversationalist

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Shayla was rather working herself up into quite a fret over Shey's condition, especially once Alibaba had run off. What if he couldn't find help? What if he just took off, and never returned to the two strange women and their ferocious shadow fiend?

It was quickly becoming clear to Shayla that she was unable to do anything, and that was the worst of all. She was used to being a respected priestess, a powerful force to be reckoned with... And yet in the face of Shey's injury and apparent illness, Shayla could do nothing but try to make the blue-haired girl as comfortable as possible until help arrived in the form of Alibaba and an older man.

Shayla was actually relieved to see that the new man had an air of wisdom and competence, and also that he shared a similar complexion to her own. It was nothing superficial, just... She was comforted to see that the people could still be familiar even in this strange place. In a small way, it made her feel a little more at home despite the alien creatures and landscape this world had to offer.

When Shey began babbling at Jethro, calling him by another name, Shayla cringed. Shey wasn't just sick, she was having hallucinations of some sort. Which was definitely not a good sign. It was probably poison of some kind...

Her suspicions were confirmed when Jethro mentioned the fiends were said to be poisonous. Shey needed immediate care. Shayla only stopped to take care of one thing before following anxiously on Jethro's heels. She waved a hand dismissively at the hulking shadow fiend that had borne them thus far. There was no way they could take Fluffy into the city.

"Find a hiding place amongst the dunes, away from the city." She commanded, only a slight quaver to her usually confident voice to betray her fear and anxiety. "Attack nobody. Flee if you must, and return to me when you are summoned."

The umbral beast turned its back on them obediently and loped away from the city at a pace that left him nothing more than a dark blur melting into the shadowed sands.

Following the two men, Shayla hung back just enough to closely monitor Shey's face for signs of increasing pain and discomfort. The girl was beyond communication by this point, so instead Shayla decided to fill the man on on the events leading up to that point... Or the abbreviated version at least.

"I don't know about tomb robbing, I just met her. We were stranded out in the desert together, and that was when we were attacked by those fiends. She actually managed to kill one of them, but it bit her... The same one that ive animated, if that helps. I could call him back, if you need a sample of his venom."

Shayla bit her lip worriedly as she followed along and continued her story.

"She was doing alright up until we encountered Alibaba and the remains of his caravan." Her voice softened as she mentioned the tragedy, knowing it would be difficult on Alibaba. "She's been healing herself magically. It's probably kept her from bleeding out up until now, but if she's trapped the venom inside her system with no wound to draw it out of, it may be even worse for her now."

Shayla wasnt sure why she cared so much for the safety of a complete stranger... Well, actually, that wasnt true. Shey was the first person Shayla had met in this strange world, and they shared a bond in that they were both foreigners here. In a way, they were kindred spirits and Shayla didn't want to give up the only person who understood what she was going through.

"You can create an antidote for her,p... Can't you? Please tell me if there is anything I can do.

Indulgent Star

User Image
User Image
Alibaba kept pace with Jethro and the other girl before running up ahead to open the door to the older man’s house. As the trio made their way indoors, Jethro looked to the other girl with a look of determination.

“We can certainly try to remedy this.” He assured, though Alibaba assumed that ‘try’ was the keyword in his phrase. “If you can call the beast back, then do. We’ll need the blood and quite possibly a sample of its venom.”

At that moment, Adjo came into the main room. He cast a curious glance in the darker-skinned girl’s direction, but when his gaze fell upon Shey in his father’s arms, his face paled. In a voice that sounded more fearful than he’d sounded earlier, he asked, “W-What happened to her?! She’s not dead, i-is she?”

“No, my boy,” Jethro replied, his voice never quavering or showing any sort of weakness or uncertainty. “She still lives, but we must make haste.”

Jethro carried Shey into a bedroom and set her gently on the bed, before he grabbed a towel to place beneath the girl’s once injured arm. Then, much to Alibaba’s surprise, Jethro pulled a knife from his robes and cut open Shey’s arm again. The girl’s body spasmed and her eyes shot open as she let out a wretched scream. Then, her body went limp and her eyes shut again as the pain that caused her to wake put her back into unconsciousness.

Adjo looked away horrified, and Alibaba cringed at the sight of her pain. “Ah! Why would you—”

“To remove and drain a trapped section of poison that was building up pressure in her arm.” Jethro explained, his expression serious. “That’s probably what was hurting her arm so much after she’d healed it.”

“But father,” Adjo started, momentarily braving the sight of the injured girl, “If you’ve drained the poison, shouldn’t she get better now?”

Jethro shook his head no. He switched his knife for a glass container, pressing the glass against the cut and gently squeezing on Shey’s arm. Shey’s blood, along with a milky-white liquid began to ooze from the cut and into the container. Adjo had to look away again, covering his mouth, and Alibaba almost had to do the same. Jethro didn’t cease coaxing the liquids out until he was certain that only Shey’s blood was left running.

“I may have been able to drain this portion of the venom, but that doesn’t mean more still doesn’t flow through her.” Jethro explained. “What we need now is the sample of Shadow Fiend blood. There is something in their blood that is immune to this poison, so if we can mix that blood with Shey’s, there’s a possibility that her body may be able to neutralize the poison within her.”

“…And if it doesn’t?” Alibaba hesitantly asked.

Jethro’s expression turned grave as he answered the blonde’s question. “If it doesn’t work, then there’s nothing else that we can do. Not in the time she has left.”

After being given the sample of blood which the other girl had collected from the fiend, Jethro mixed together the final concoction that would ultimately heal or kill Shey. Carefully, he spread a small portion of the mixture into the open cut on Shey’s arm. Then, using his knife, he made a few other incisions on Shey’s body to follow the same procedure, making sure to bandage up each area after it had been treated. Finally, Jethro moved behind the girl, lifting her and supporting her so that she was in more of a sitting position. Then, taking the glass that held the last of the remedy, Jethro pressed the cup against Shey’s lips, willing the half-unconscious girl to drink it.

When the contents of the container were gone, Jethro set it down and then wrapped his arms around Shey’s small form, gently rocking her as a pained look made its way onto his face.

“Get better,” he murmured. Please get better.”

Alibaba watched Jethro with stunned curiosity. The older man was now showing a weaker side of himself and, seeing the way he held Shey, Alibaba was reminded of something. Didn’t Jethro have a wife? The last time he’d passed through and stayed, Jethro had most definitely had a wife. But where was she now? A sad thought dawned on Alibaba at that point; the reason why Jethro knew so much about the shadow fiends’ poison, the reason why his wife wasn’t around… she must have been killed by one of them. Not that that was anything new. People died quite frequently nowadays.

Jethro let out a long drawn out sigh before he moved away from Shey and let her sleep flat on the bed. Once again looking tired and exhausted, he looked from Alibaba, to the girl, and to his son.

“We’ll have to wait until morning to see how she is. She seems to be doing alright for now, but only time will tell.” Jethro focused his attention on his son, forcing a smile for the other. “Adjo, get back to bed. You need your sleep.”

“But, father—”

“No buts.”

Adjo sighed and then turned to return to his room. Jethro then looked to Alibaba and then to the raven-haired girl, slightly frowning before that shifted back into a tired smile. “I apologize. Alibaba and I have known each other for quite some time now, but I don’t think we’ve been properly acquainted yet. I am Jethro of Al Qaaran. The boy who was just here was my son, Adjo. I usually allow passing travelers to stay with me, so feel free to make yourself at home. There should be rooms ready for the both of you next to this one. I shall remain here and keep a watch over your friend.”

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Throughout the whole time that Jethro treated Shey, Shayla kept silent and watched with an anxious expression. She had no desire to interrupt the man at his work; a slip-up could kill Shey after all, if the venom or indeed their homemade remedy didn't do so first. She felt completely useless as she watched Jethro work with cautious and deft hands. She didn't question any of his methods. She had enough experience as a healer to at least understand the theory behind what he was doing. But she did berate herself for realizing just how much she relied on her magics in the past. Someone was ill or poisoned? There was a spell for that. Dying of dehydration? She could create water with a snap of her fingers. Richard skinned his knees? A quick incantation would patch it right up.

It irked her that her darker magic, the power to control the dead and dying, seemed to be so potent in this strange place, and that it completely overshadowed her other abilities. While Shayla suspected that she might find her necromancy even stronger here in this world of shadowed sands, she would have given it all away in an instant if it meant she would be able to heal her friend.

But no, she would have to have faith in the medical ministrations of this stranger. Like Jethro's son, she would have to accept without question that the man was doing his best, and that only time would tell of Shey's fate after he finished.

With his work done and his son sent off to bed, it actually took Shayla a moment to realize that Jethro was introducing himself properly. She had been lost in anxious thoughts of Shey's health, and the well-being of her own family back home. Her gold and silk adornments jangled softly as she startled, and then bowed her head in apology.

"Oh, ah, please forgive me. I can't seem to stop from fretting, so much has happened in such a short time... She remembered her etiquette as she stood politely before him. "I am Shayla, a priestess of Velis Vei. It is a pleasure and an honour to be welcomed guests in your house. I only wish... I wish that our arrival had been under better circumstances."

Her breath caught in her throat as she finished with her formal introduction, and her expression quickly took on an anxious look once more. "Shey and I are both far from home, lost and confused. We were lost in the desert, beset upon by those animals... I thank the gods that we found Alibaba, and that he could lead us to you."

Her gaze fell once more on Shey's still form, and her conscience was wracked with guilt. What if this was all somehow her own fault? She knew she had somehow messed up her spell and dragged herself to this strange shadow world... could she have somehow also included Shey in her mishap? Shayla thought it unlikely, but the thought was still present. Perhaps it was just survivor's guilt manifesting, because Shey was critically wounded, whereas Shayla had managed to avoid injury herself thus far. But she couldn't let herself wander too far down the path of 'what if'. Shayla knew from experience that dwelling on something certainly wouldn't help to change the outcome. And so she took a deep, steadying breath and gripped the black onyx pendant that rested at her throat to help center herself.

"You have both already done so much to help us. Please, if there is anything at all I can do for either of you, let me know. On behalf of both of us, I owe you a great debt."

Indulgent Star

User Image
User Image xxxxx

Shey felt lost.

Terrifying images flashed all around her, burning bright before leaving her in hazes of darkness. And with each flash of light, she felt excruciating pain sear through her body. She wondered if this was what it felt like to die. If death felt like the endless abyss she felt she was trapped in, then she didn’t want to die. Or maybe she was dead already. Perhaps those flashes were her life replaying in her mind. However, the faces she saw weren’t faces she recognized.

It was, more or less, confusing and disorienting. It was scary. And it was tiring. Her body felt like it was burning, but the pain was slowly – very slowly – beginning to subside. It allowed her body to relax and begin to fade into that phase between wake and sleep. Then, like a comforting blanket, she felt arms around her, holding her, keeping her safe and warm. One thought – one person – entered and filled her mind, causing her to smile.

‘…Bakura.’

Before she drifted into the safe blackness of sleep, Shey felt herself smile.

“Sarah, wake up! You have to return home! He’ll need you!”

It was quiet when Shey began to wake and, while she had yet to open her eyes, she could tell that it was still fairly dark. As she slowly became more aware of things, she had the funniest feeling. The bed she was lying in, the blankets she was wrapped in… they didn’t feel or smell quite like normal, and she couldn’t feel the usually constant presence of her Thief King sleeping beside her.

She slowly flickered her eyes open to find herself …in a dimly lit room that she had never seen before in her entire life. While a situation like this might have made her panic, all she could feel at the current moment was confusion. Trying to recall the events that occurred before she fell asleep seemed to be a losing struggle. What… happened to her? And where was Bakura?

Believing that Bakura must be near, Shey believed that he would have the answers that seemed to elude her. The teal haired girl attempted to push herself up to a sitting position.

It had been a poor decision.

Shey hissed and fell back into her pillows, eyes wide as a sharp pain shot through both of her arms. The pain immediately made the fact click in her mind that she was injured. Her breathing began to quicken as her panic started to set in, and her mind raced to figure out just exactly what had happened to her. The sharp pain in her arm made her think of a dark room… a dark room with glowing green eyes.

No… no, no, no, NO! Those terrifying images and horrific feelings… they were supposed to be a nightmare! But ever so surely, the more Shey recalled those scenes, the more she remembered, and the more she remembered, the more she came to realize that, maybe, it had all been a bit more real than she ever would have wanted.

This. This was her reality now. The last she knew of Bakura was tomb robbing before she was cruelly torn away from him. Wait, no. She recalled seeing him after that, but… something about him didn’t seem right. Nothing seemed right. She needed information. She needed to figure things out. She needed things to make sense.

Trying not to rely on her arms, Shey struggled once more to sit up, her efforts failing due to her own exhaustion. However, she was determined to sit, so she persevered, so focused on her own endeavours that she failed to take note of a creaking door.

A half stifled laugh stole Shey’s attention as a young male voice shattered the silence. “Lay back down. You’re still too hurt to do anything.”

Refusing to follow this stranger’s demands as she had just gotten to a seated position, Shey sent a glare in the youth’s direction. He was small, or rather, just a little shorter than Shey was. Like everything else, this brown-haired boy was unfamiliar to her; however, she could see a familiar look of mischief in his emerald eyes that she often saw in Bakura’s. It made her wonder once again, because she could have sworn she had seen him the night before.

She let out a bit of a huff before she addressed the boy. “I… am not lying back down. I am perfectly fine and will be healed as soon as I make it so.” She stated slowly and in a stern voice. “Now, if you’d be so kind, I would like to know who you are, where I am, why I’m here, and where I can find Bakura.”

The boy raised his eyebrow, an amused look plastered on his face. “Bakura? What on earth is bakura?”

Shey felt a flicker of annoyance towards this boy’s obvious ignorance. “Not ‘what’! ‘Who’! The dark-skinned man with white hair who was with me last night! Where can I find him?”

The boy simply stared at her, still amused. “Jethro.”

A wave of confusion swept over her. What did ‘jethro’ mean? Was it a place? Some foreign term? A word spoken in a language that Shey didn’t know? “I… beg your pardon?”

“The dark-skinned man with white hair.”

Shey blinked, still confused but feeling more and more irritated by the second. Yeah, I know. He’s Bakura. I’m looking for him. Now where is he?”

The boy let a laugh slip, and Shey could only stare at him in disbelief. Why was he laughing?

“Look, I don’t know who this Bakura is, but the dark-skinned man with white hair is Jethro.”

Shey shook her head in protest, her mind automatically dismissing the boy’s words as lies. “No, no. It was Bakura! I… I remember seeing this village last night, watching that Ali-what’s-his-face run off for help while the woman, Shayla, was watching over me. Then blondie came back with Bakura!”

The boy folded his arms over his chest, slowly shaking his head. “Wrong. Alibaba Salujathat’s his name – came to my house to seek my father’s help. My father – Jethro – is the only man in this village with dark skin and white hair, who would have seen you since you arrived. He brought you back here to our home where he worked hard to make sure that you didn’t die from fiend poison.”

Suddenly, Shey was beginning to feel light-headed. She didn’t like the answer that the boy had given her, or rather, she didn’t like the feeling of truth that rang with his answer. Her last memory of Bakura was being in that tomb with him. Shey looked down at her bed sheets as her gut wrenched painfully. Too suddenly, her throat was sore and she could feel her eyes stinging, though she refused to allow herself to cry in front of this younger boy who she found irritating just moments before.

Keeping her voice level, she quietly spoke to the boy. “If I may ask again, who are you, and where am I? Are we… is this village anywhere near Giza, Egypt? Or in Egypt at all? Or even Agrabah? And… where are Shayla and Alibaba now?”

For the first time since arriving in Shey’s room, the boy lost his demeanor of teasing merriment to become a little more serious. “I’ve never heard of any place called Giza, or Egypt, or Agrabah. Then again, I don’t know much about the other villages and cities. But what I can tell you is that this village is known as the village of Al Qaaran. As for who I am, well, I’m Adjo – Jethro’s son – as I mentioned before. Shayla and Alibaba are out running errands along with him, though they should be back any time now.”

Shey breathed in to speak, but the words she was going to say slipped her mind by the sudden confusion she felt towards some of Adjo’s words. She lifted her gaze to look at him quizzically. “Errands? But… it’s the middle of the night.”

Adjo shook his head. “No, actually, it’s not. It’s midday. Just look out the window.”

Adjo’s words made Shey both curious and fearful. It was too dark in the room for it to be midday. It looked like a dark, windowless room being lit by a single candle that wasn’t burning particularly bright. Slowly, Shey turned to the source of light to see that there was a window and there was light streaming through it, however, it wasn’t lighting things up as it should.

Shey couldn’t fathom what she was seeing. Everything was in darkness, despite the obvious light. “H-how… why…?”

“Because these are the Shadow Lands.” Adjo stated, walking over and plopping down at the foot of the bed. “It’s always like this.”

“It’s…always… like this?” Shey looked back to Adjo, unsure what to do or how she should feel. This strange darkness that didn’t allow light to phase it made her unsettled. This… wasn’t the same darkness that she was used to. This darkness was different. Or rather, this wasn’t darkness at all. This was shadow.

Adjo nodded to confirm his words which Shey had repeated. “Yeah. Though you’re lit up like the sun, so I’m guessing it isn’t like this where you’re from.”

‘Lit up like the sun?’

Shey gasped and looked down again to where her hands were resting in her lap. Why hadn’t she noticed it before?! Her body was lit the way it normally would be with sun streaming through the window; the brown blankets that she had pulled up over her legs looked black in contrast. But that wasn’t all. Her arms were wrapped in white bandages, but those too looked like they were covered in shadows.

“Shadow… Lands?” She murmured the name in quiet confusion, more to herself than to Adjo.

The sound of a door opening and voices sounded from somewhere in the house, causing Adjo to perk up. “Oh, father must be back with Alibaba and Shayla.”

The boy jumped up to his feet and began heading towards the door. “I’ll go let them know you’re awake!”

Shey’s eyes went wide and she jerked her head up, suddenly alert. “Wait, NO!”

Adjo stopped dead in his tracks and looked back to Shey with a confused expression.

“Please, I… I don’t think I’m ready to see your father just yet.” Shey explained, looking down again as a sad expression crept onto her face. “I’d like to see Shayla. Just Shayla.”

Adjo sighed and shrugged his shoulders. “Okay then, if that’s what you want.”

The boy left her room and Shey found herself in temporary silence once again. Right now, she needed Shayla. The other woman was the first person she’d seen since coming to this land and felt the most familiar. If anything, she brought Shey some comfort, and pushed her fears away of having to see the man she thought was Bakura.

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Shayla was just returning from her errands with Alibaba when Adjo came to fetch her. She had a soft spot for the boy if only because his youth and the mischievous spark that was usually present in his eye reminded her so much of her own son, despite the fact that her boy was much younger. Giving Adjo a soft smile, Shayla nodded and handed off her armful of supplies to him.

She was glad to hear that Shey was awake, although she wished she had gleaned more information to share with the other young woman. But all Shayla had been able to learn while she was out running errands, was that she knew nothing at all about this place. The names from her homeland were as alien to the people here, as the dark shadowy sands were to Shayla herself. Nobody had heard of Velis Vei, or Donslar, or even the Gnomelands of Agrishar, which were the most exotic place she knew of. In short, Shayla was both literally and figuratively in the dark, with no answers to offer Shey beyond the name of this small town and their helpers.

No doubt Shey would be disoriented and hungry for answers as well upon waking from such a fevered state. For that matter, she would probably just be hungry, period. The recovering girl may not have much of an appetite, but it would be important for her to eat something after a long night of fighting off infection and illness.

And so Shayla went back and nabbed a loaf of bread they had picked up at the market, still warm, and a clay cup with water in it. Later they could perhaps put on a brothy but nutritious soup.

Bearing her meager offerings, Shayla returned to Shey's room, poking her head around the door frame before sidling in with the soft jingling of bracelets on her wrists and ankles. No matter how impractical her attire was for galavanting about the desert and fighting, Shayla couldn't bring herself to cast off the only garments she'd brought with her from home. It was like a single, small connection to her own world. If anything, the shining garments were at least proof that her home was real. That there was a real, hot shining sun in the sky just waiting for her to return; as soon as she figured out how.

"Shey... how are you feeling?" Shayla went to the side of the bed and set the water and bread down with a rueful smile. "Not the most appetizing of breakfast fare, I know, but we weren't sure if you would be too nauseous to eat anything else at first. You're something of a miracle case here -- from what I understand, nobody has survived the shadow fiends' poison... until now."

Shayla pulled up a stool on which to sit at the side of the bed. Although she opened her mouth to carry on talking, she finally caught a good glimpse of Shey's expression. Her own eyes softened into a look of sympathy and she reached out gently to lay her hand on one of Shey's.

"I'm sorry. You must be so upset after your ordeal... I'm here for you. Whatever you need, whether that's a listening ear or a waiting shoulder. Anything. We're in this together, after all."

Indulgent Star

User Image
User Image xxxxx

While she waited for Adjo to fetch Shayla, Shey looked down at her bandaged arms with a frown. What exactly had happened to her the night before? She had been injured by that wolfish monster and had almost had her arm ripped off. According to the boy, she’d also been poisoned. She certainly recalled the feeling of being so sick that she started hallucinating – not that she believed she was hallucinating at the time.

Once again, she felt her throat seize up and her eyes sting, once again threatening to make her cry. She could feel the tears pricking at her eyes as the sound of the door creaking open again alerted her to another’s presence. With one short glance, she saw that it was Shayla. Her gaze immediately shot away as she felt her tears fall. She fought to keep herself from starting to sob.

She didn’t say anything as Shayla spoke, not really paying attention to much of what she was saying; she was too preoccupied with trying to force her tears to cease. Even after the other woman placed a comforting hand on hers, Shey didn’t speak. She looked down at her lap, a pained expression on her face as she swallowed back more tears. When she finally spoke, her eyes turned scornful; her voice full of bitterness.

“A miracle, huh?” She clenched her fists and a jolt of pain shot through her arms forcing her to cringe. “Doesn’t really feel that way to me.”

Pulling her hand away from Shayla, Shey’s focus shifted to her left arm. She pursed her lips and her body tensed as she untied the binding and began unravelling the wrappings that protected her arm. She watched with hard eyes as the bandages grew redder and redder the more she unravelled them. It briefly crossed her mind that Shayla would protest her actions, but Shey needed a quick heal. She needed to get back up on her feet and find some way back to Kul Elna.

When her arm was completely revealed, Shey drew in a breath at the sight. It was horribly scarred from the damage it had taken the night before and, even without the patches of dried blood that surrounded it from a new and more precise incision, it looked awful and completely unappealing. It was… worse than any other scar she had ever seen before. She felt another twist in her gut and looked down at her lap once more.

She’d been marred by the beast. It had given her another degrading feature, another reason for people to look at her with disgust and hatred. And, while maybe Bakura wouldn’t mind it, other people – petty people – might. And those were the ones who often went out of their way to make Shey’s life hell.

Her expression turned into a scowl as she sent a Cure spell to her arm. The new incision fully closed and healed itself, leaving no trace of a scar save for the one that was already there. Looking away from that arm, Shey proceeded to unwrap her other arm to repeat the process. When her arms were healed and the pain was gone, she finally addressed Shayla’s most recent words.

She gave a short laugh, one that held a sort of sadness and defeat before she spoke. “Heh, it wasn’t – isn’t – just my ordeal. The worst part about last night wasn’t almost dying. No, it was knowing that he had to watch another loved one be ripped away from—”

Shey suddenly cut herself off as her mind began envisioning what happened in that tomb after she disappeared. She recalled the look of horror on Bakura’s face before she was taken away, and could only imagine the anguish he must have felt in the moments after when he realized that she was gone. Gone like everyone else he had ever cared about. He probably searched that tomb over trying to find her, hoping – praying – that she would be there somewhere. But, no; she was here in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of complete strangers.

Although… it seemed like Shayla might have felt the same way as her.

Shey shook her head clean of her previous thoughts, trying to focus on the other woman and the matter at hand. When she spoke now, her voice was more confident and sure. “Well, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that I get back to Egypt as soon as I possibly can. I’m guessing we’re in the same boat on this situation, so maybe we can help each other out. I’ll tell you about all my skills and abilities if you tell me yours. Some information about this place wouldn’t be bad either.”

Her expression faded to blankness as she cast another glance at the window. “The kid called this place the… the Shadow Lands. And we both aren’t from here because we’re both… ‘lit up like the sun’.”

Looking back to Shayla with a look of uncertainty, she asked, “Did they tell you anything about it? And… what it means for us?”

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
User Image

Shayla truly couldn't blame Shey for crying. She had shed her own fair share of tears in the night as well, although she had yet to break down where anyone could see her. Despite being of a similar age, Shayla felt that it was up to her to keep up a strong face. Perhaps it was her motherly instincts that told her to try and be the strong one, or perhaps it was guilt, plain and simple. She suspected that it was her botched ritual that brought her to this place of shadowed sands... and she was beginning to fear she had somehow also dragged Shey into it with her. Mixing magics the way she had been trying to do was a dangerous and unpredictable art after all. Shayla remained silent while Shey went about healing herself, deciding to offer quiet comfort until the other seemed ready to talk.

But when Shey finally spoke, the words were like red-hot spears of guilt stabbing in her chest. So Shey, too, had been forced to leave behind someone she obviously cared deeply about. But Shayla couldn't bring herself to admit out loud that she thought it was all her fault, so instead she spoke softly in reply.

"I promise, Shey, we will find a way back home to the ones we love."

She thought about continuing with some kind of heartfelt and uplifting speech, but truthfully, she doubted either of them was feeling in the mood for optimistic preaching. When Shey mentioned they could help each other out, Shayla nodded her agreement. She didn't look happy, per se, but the expression she wore was of determination and... relief. Learning about each other was the first step to formulating a plan. It was more productive than sitting around and feeling sorry for themselves.

"You're right." Shayla gently moved her hand away from Shey's, the bangles on her wrists jangling softly as she folded her hands in her lap. Her green eyes turned thoughtful, and she joined Shey in glancing out the window. Her gaze anxiously lingered on the perpetually shadowy landscape outside. "If we pool our skills together, we can figure something else." She gave Shey a wry smile. "Something tells me that neither of us are exactly ordinary. And getting out of this mess will call for a dash of the extraordinary, I'm sure."

She looked away from the window again, now dropping her gaze down to her lap. She could see clearly that Shey's recounting of Adjo's words were correct; both she and Shey seemed to have some sort of inner light that didn't touch anything else in this world. "Getting home should be top priority, for both of us. We have to assume that there is some way back, since we were able to get here in the first place. I.. wasn't able to learn much while I was out. I think most people are afraid, because they have never seen anyone like us before. People don't like it when things are new and different, especially in vulnerable little towns. What we really need is a big city. Somewhere with priests or wizards we can talk to, people of some importance I should think. I can only assume we are in some different plane of reality or a parallel world of sorts."

She hoped that Shey wouldn't think she was crazy, with all of her talk of other worlds. Most of the magical community in Shayla's world were agreed that there were limitless other planes of existence in the universe, although common folk were still skeptical of what they could not see. But Shayla was quite sure Shey was far from common, wherever she was from.

"Which brings me to what I can do, I suppose. I am a student of magic where I come from. I like to consider myself talented at my craft, but... I seem to have lost a great deal of my abilities when I came here. In this place, I seem only able to call upon dark powers, and none of the light." She swallowed nervously, feeling crippled with only one aspect of her powers left to her. She was vulnerable, like a swordsman without their weapon. "That means I can only use my powers of undeath... like with the skeletons earlier. With practice, I think I might be able to hurt people. Like the way you can heal with a touch, only in reverse. But magic seems to work differently here. I'm afraid my powers won't be much use unless there are dead nearby. I've never been any good with a weapon, but... you seem like you know your way around that sword. Maybe you could show me sometime."

She tried for a small smile, although it came out as pensive more than happy, given the situation.

"Anyway, what other secret powers have you got down your sleeve? I saw the dragon. That was incredible! Dragons are fearsome, powerful beasts... to be able to control one as you did - and summon it - is an awe-inspiring gift."

£ ƒ εxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
۞ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ð ε ձ է ђ
xx

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items