Welcome to Gaia! ::

1,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
psyst3m
Priill
Andrea is the most misunderstood character in the show. She started off in season 1 as a woman just trying to stay alive with her sister. When Amy died, Andrea was at a loss and wanted to kill herself because she felt that it was pointless to continue now that the world has *basically* ended.

In season 2, she was still upset because of her sister's death, and also because Dale would have died with her had she not left the CDC. He took away her painless, worry-free death. Andrea also learns to become a sharp-shooter, just like in the comics. She views Shane as a strong male character with all the right ideas, just bad at how he shows them. She has no idea that he's on the verge of losing it! No longer does Andrea want to give up on living, but she wants to protect herself and the group. She is annoyed by Lori who thinks that only the men should keep watch while the women sit around and do house chores (not knowing that she'd miss them when the farm was gone). In the end, she DOES protect others such as Carol, but look what happened? Andrea was rewarded by being left to die, not once, but twice (the second time being when the others decide not to go back to find her).

By the time season 3 comes around, she's very sick, but with her protector, Michonne. Andrea tells Michonne to leave because she'll just hold her back, but Michonne refuses to leave her behind. Once they are taken to Woodbury, Andrea is healed, finding a refuge much like she did on the farm. I think Andrea explained pretty clearly why she doesn't want to leave in the last episode (in which Michonne replies that she'd only slow her down, anyway *facepalm*). I think maybe if Michonne had shown everything she had seen while walking around, perhaps Andrea might have been more inclined to leave. Michonne never really explains everything, not making sense from Andrea's point of view. So she chooses protection at a place rather than from a friend (and honestly after the group left her, I can understand why). Andrea clearly shows a distaste for the fights that happen later in the evening, but spoilers/previews have shown that it doesn't matter...as usual, she just wants to fit in somewhere and be needed. Truthfully, isn't that what everyone wants? Doesn't everyone want a home and to be loved and wanted? Andrea is also once again unaware of the craziness that is the Governor. (The actress who portrays Andrea has hinted around that yes, her actions will have consequences...but that's been a theme of the show since season 1 with the characters.)

I just can't relate to characters like Daryl and Michonne because they seem to be made for this world, or too good to be true. I like them, sure, but not everyone has the ability to be like them, and see the truth the way they do. As I recall, a lot of people disliked Daryl in season 1, but characters can change into something better (as they should). Andrea portrays an average person that has survived this terrible catastrophe and is just getting by the best she can. It doesn't and won't please everyone, but it is what it is. She will make you shake the television (or computer) and pull your hair out just like when your parents used to ground you, or you told your best friend not to date that person, but s/he did it anyway.

I'd also like to point out the stereotype that while Andrea and Lori are considered ****** for having sex with multiple male characters, it was completely fine for Shane to do so. Also, why so much bitching about her having sex with men? Our society continues to believe that this is okay for men, but not women. Please. rolleyes
I love you, so much. You worded my thoughts on Andrea perfectly. She has grown to be one of my favorite characters on the show.

Her character is actually one of the more believable. Should I be cast into her situation, I could see myself completely identifying with her and her struggles.

It's not that I don't understand the reason behind her actions, naturally this is a more realistic reaction to a zombie apocalypse. It's just that I would have imagined that Andrea would be on of the few characters that they wouldn't change too much because she's an amazing character just the way she is. It's very disappointing.

Blessed Prophet

6,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I just hate how she was al "everythings ok these guys are fine" type of deal at that one stronghold (forgot the name) and the thing she's got going with the governor. At least she found out about the fights I guess???

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff