Welcome to Gaia! ::

Extragalactic Cosmonaut

I know a lot of people buy a new console as soon as it comes out, or within a few weeks.
But is anyone here ever extremely "late" in buying a console? To the extent that it's already outdated?
Example: I got my GBA when the DS had been out for a year.
I got my PS2 when the PS3 has been out for a year or two.
I got my DS after the announcement of the 3DS.
I got my Wii after the release of the WiiU.
I was wondering what people's reasons for buying consoles late are?
Is it money?
Waiting for more games?
Waiting for bug-fixes? (Lest we forget the Red Ring of Death.)
Some other reason?

Ruthless Rogue

Well why would you buy a console really late?
The only instance i buy a console at any period is for a specific game(s) that gets released.

Extragalactic Cosmonaut

Liightning
Well why would you buy a console really late?
The only instance i buy a console at any period is for a specific game(s) that gets released.

Well for me it was the fact that I couldn't afford to shell out $300 for a new console. The (used) Wii finally dropped below $100 so I finally decided to buy it. As for my GBA, I got that in elementary school, so I couldn't afford to shell out the money; I had to wait for it to be given to me.
However, when it comes to games, I usually buy them at the midnight release (if it's a major title).

Girl-Crazy Grabber

I didn't buy a GBA until long after the SP came out.

Other than that, no, generally I get my consoles pretty early in their life.
I still haven't bought any of the current-gen consoles. I'm pretty happy with my PC and my older systems.

Might get around to buying a PS3 at some point if I can find one that's cheap.

Animated Otaku

29,200 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Nerd 50
I generally don't buy gaming systems until late in the system's lifespan. I've got too many games to catch up on as it is, the last thing I need right now is more. I also like to wait to see if there's some kind of collector's edition in the future that strikes my fancy.

IRL Exhibitionist

11,300 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
All my systems I've bought, with exception of my ps3, were bought with my income tax. And even still, I waited bout a year or so before I actually bought said system. I got the Black GBA waaaaay into the GBA's life span. The NES GBA SP almost as soon as it came out. I won my PS2 in 2002 and by then, I think the slims had started coming out. Then I picked up a silver slim a few months after it came out. I was waiting on a better DS so I nabbed the Cobalt Blue DS Lite the day it came out. So that was, again, way into the life cycle of the DS...then it lost it's fight with gravity so I eventually upgraded to a DSiXL. Only reason why I didn't get the DSi was because of the size.

IRL Exhibitionist

11,300 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Mjjfan10
I know a lot of people buy a new console as soon as it comes out, or within a few weeks.
But is anyone here ever extremely "late" in buying a console? To the extent that it's already outdated?
Example: I got my GBA when the DS had been out for a year.
I got my PS2 when the PS3 has been out for a year or two.
I got my DS after the announcement of the 3DS.
I got my Wii after the release of the WiiU.
I was wondering what people's reasons for buying consoles late are?
Is it money?
Waiting for more games?
Waiting for bug-fixes? (Lest we forget the Red Ring of Death.)
Some other reason?

Am I the only one who noticed this? The Wii2 isn't out yet. So does that mean you haven't got a Wii? Or did you mean when the Wii2 was announced?

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150

I don't see a reason to get a system within its first year. There's always a risk of bugs and things, and systems are almost never at their best until a later release that has updates to it.

Didn't get a 360 until 2010, still have yet to get a PS3 even though I plan to.

Extragalactic Cosmonaut

Poeden

I don't see a reason to get a system within its first year. There's always a risk of bugs and things, and systems are almost never at their best until a later release that has updates to it.

Didn't get a 360 until 2010, still have yet to get a PS3 even though I plan to.

Yeah, the 360 was so full of bugs at the initial release it wasn't even funny.
Even the PS3 had its problems.
(So far all of the 3DS problems have been firmware problems which have been fixed, thank god. xD)

Witty Genius

mainly due to money, never have enough money to shell out the big bucks, but I am getting a 3DS, PSP, wiiU, or a PS3 in the beginning of the year
I'm thinking about getting a Wii a few months after the WiiU launches in hopes that the price drops a bit more and stores will offer bundles to help get old tech off the shelves.

I'm also looking into -finally- getting a SNES. I never had one growing up despite that I always wanted one. I have a Nintendo, however, someone borrowed in a number of years ago. I bug them to get it back and nothing yet, so I'll probably have to purchase a replacement for that as well.

Clean Citizen

7,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Voter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I remember when I got my DS pretty late, also my PS3 but thats it. smile

Tipsy Nerd

Well, I want both a psp and a ps3, but due to money issues I won't be seeing those for a while.

Most of my consoles I received on my birthday or Christmas, so there was no money issue there.

Invisible Mage

13,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
Does it count that I just bought a Sega Saturn for one game? Never ever owned one, but I got one game for it I have been wanting to play since I was yay high.

Buying a system way down the line is actually a lot smarter in my book. More game options, cheaper price for the system normally, and sometimes they come out with different colors of them. Mmm I loves me my different colored systems....

But anyways yeah, the only systems I got day one for was the Wii, Xbox360, ps2, and I think that's it. And those I only got that fast because one game on them. (Why yes I do buy whole systems for 1 game. Only reason why I had an N64 and Gamecube honestly was for the Melee series )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff