Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is this "Crystal Candyland" a Hit or Miss?

Hit 0.26666666666667 26.7% [ 4 ]
Miss 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 5 ]
Burn It With Fire! 0.4 40.0% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 15 ]
1 2 >

Fashionable Conventioneer

5,200 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
So, there is an event called Crystal Candyland happening in New York for International Lolita Day- do you guys think its a hit or miss? Choose your poll answer and explain below. Here's the website:Crystal Candyland.

Fashionable Gawker

Miss, because I am confused. The description of the ball sounds like a themed masquerade ball more than anything. Plus what does even half of this "Lolita enthusiasts will host an affair that shall parallel the Rococo period en Grande ball: A formal festivity that celebrates the ‘winter’ seasons “International Lolita Day” and a day that is considered a true fashion holiday." have to do with lolita fashion? Shouldn't it just be a Lolita Ball? A "true fashion holiday"? What? Since when? If it's celebrating Winter than what's with the Crystal Candyland? Also, what's a lolita enthusiast? Someone who likes lolita, but isn't a lolita? o_O

Fashionable Vampire

6,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Honestly I think its kinda tacky to say hit or miss before the event has even taken place. It sounds like it could be really fun.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Honestly, it sounds like it has a lot of potential to be really fun. I know the Southern California lolitas have done very large themed events like this in the past, and they always look really lovely and fantastic- so I always look forward to it when other lolita communities plan them! I'd actually like to plan a large event like this in my area some day, so I'm hoping they post about it after the event so I can perhaps get some inspiration c:
i still think its a bit interesting that there are two ild events for the new york comm
and plus i had no idea that there were two nyc comms up until recently
but its a large area and all so i guess it makes sense

Adorable Fisher

Meh, it looks like it has the potential to be fun. You could meet like-minded people there and enjoy yourself. I'd go if I were in the city that day.

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
Liona Lionheart
Miss, because I am confused. The description of the ball sounds like a themed masquerade ball more than anything. Plus what does even half of this "Lolita enthusiasts will host an affair that shall parallel the Rococo period en Grande ball: A formal festivity that celebrates the ‘winter’ seasons “International Lolita Day” and a day that is considered a true fashion holiday." have to do with lolita fashion? Shouldn't it just be a Lolita Ball? A "true fashion holiday"? What? Since when? If it's celebrating Winter than what's with the Crystal Candyland? Also, what's a lolita enthusiast? Someone who likes lolita, but isn't a lolita? o_O

I'm sorry, but I find absolutely nothing hard to understand in that description. A Lolita enthusiast is someone who is enthusiastic about Lolita fashion. Much like an art enthusiast or a turtle enthusiast. People who wear Lolita are Lolita enthusiasts, obviously, and people who like the fashion but don't wear it for whatever reason can also be considered enthusiasts.

Also, it IS a themed ball. The theme is Lolita, clearly. Probably Rococo inspired Lolita specifically, but I doubt they'd turn you away if you weren't wearing Rococo style. It's not celebrating winter, it's celebrating International Lolita Day, and just specifying that it takes place in the winter (which is technically not true, since the date of the event is Dec 1st and the first day of winter is Dec 21st, but that might be why they put the word winter in quotes) and it will probably have an additional winter theme. So the full theme is probably "Winter Rococo Lolita". And the "true fashion holiday" part is just saying that it's a holiday that celebrates a fashion. Lolita fashion.

So what was unclear again? Sorry, but I hate it when people act like something is stupid just because they couldn't be bothered to read carefully.
Eruravenne
Liona Lionheart

I'm sorry, but I find absolutely nothing hard to understand in that description. A Lolita enthusiast is someone who is enthusiastic about Lolita fashion. Much like an art enthusiast or a turtle enthusiast. People who wear Lolita are Lolita enthusiasts, obviously, and people who like the fashion but don't wear it for whatever reason can also be considered enthusiasts.

Also, it IS a themed ball. The theme is Lolita, clearly. Probably Rococo inspired Lolita specifically, but I doubt they'd turn you away if you weren't wearing Rococo style. It's not celebrating winter, it's celebrating International Lolita Day, and just specifying that it takes place in the winter (which is technically not true, since the date of the event is Dec 1st and the first day of winter is Dec 21st, but that might be why they put the word winter in quotes) and it will probably have an additional winter theme. So the full theme is probably "Winter Rococo Lolita". And the "true fashion holiday" part is just saying that it's a holiday that celebrates a fashion. Lolita fashion.

So what was unclear again? Sorry, but I hate it when people act like something is stupid just because they couldn't be bothered to read carefully.

Back when I was a potential DJ the request was to have a selection on songs about candy. The ball is called Crystal Candyland. THE THEME OF THE BALL IS CRYSTAL CANDYLAND meaning wintery candyland. Winter... because it's winter, and candy because I guess OTT sweat focus' a lot on candy.

Also it is November and it already snowed here in NYC. It doesn't matter what day winter officially starts, it's cold and snowy here; it's winter in NYC.

I'm still a little iffy on it all. I waited for them to announce the concept of vendors to get in contact with them. I wait a month after our first conversation and now they say they have only three days to set up with vendors and that they have limited space. Well.. gee... maybe I would have had a better chance at getting a vendor spot if they didn't diddle their thumbs back on OCT 1st when I contacted them.

As I vendor I would do my best to pimp this event and try to make it a good day for all as this would benefit me. As some state, this is a great concept and everyone wants this... but we are all fearful if the people running the event will do the concept justice. We can only find out.

Also they are forcing all vendors to contribute to a grab bag. So I guess guest will be getting free goodies?

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
zaMmaP
Back when I was a potential DJ the request was to have a selection on songs about candy. The ball is called Crystal Candyland. THE THEME OF THE BALL IS CRYSTAL CANDYLAND meaning wintery candyland. Winter... because it's winter, and candy because I guess OTT sweat focus' a lot on candy.

Also it is November and it already snowed here in NYC. It doesn't matter what day winter officially starts, it's cold and snowy here; it's winter in NYC.

I'm still a little iffy on it all. I waited for them to announce the concept of vendors to get in contact with them. I wait a month after our first conversation and now they say they have only three days to set up with vendors and that they have limited space. Well.. gee... maybe I would have had a better chance at getting a vendor spot if they didn't diddle their thumbs back on OCT 1st when I contacted them.

As I vendor I would do my best to pimp this event and try to make it a good day for all as this would benefit me. As some state, this is a great concept and everyone wants this... but we are all fearful if the people running the event will do the concept justice. We can only find out.

Also they are forcing all vendors to contribute to a grab bag. So I guess guest will be getting free goodies?

Well, the word "Candyland" sort of just made me think of Sweet Lolita in general, so I was trying to be more specific based on words used in the description. And the winter thing was just pointing out a technicality. I live in CT, so I know about the snow. ;P

I can't go anyway, I just didn't like that person's attitude. neutral
Eruravenne
zaMmaP

Well, the word "Candyland" sort of just made me think of Sweet Lolita in general, so I was trying to be more specific based on words used in the description. And the winter thing was just pointing out a technicality. I live in CT, so I know about the snow. ;P

Thankfully there are more than one person running it so I've been lucky having to avoid talking to... her... so far. I think she hates me. While my opinions about certain people may not be in good light I just instinctively act polite to them anyways. Yet being polite is never enough if you admit you don't like them. So they must hate you in return @_@

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
zaMmaP
Eruravenne
zaMmaP

Thankfully there are more than one person running it so I've been lucky having to avoid talking to... her... so far. I think she hates me. While my opinions about certain people may not be in good light I just instinctively act polite to them anyways. Yet being polite is never enough if you admit you don't like them. So they must hate you in return @_@

Well, I hope everything will work out and the event will be a success, anyway. smile

Fashionable Gawker

Eruravenne
Liona Lionheart

The wording is confusing and awkward. When did I say the event was stupid exactly? International Lolita Day as far as I know isn't an actual holiday, and there's kind of two a year. The description of the theme does not match the name of the event which most formal themed events tie with the theme. So, yes I find it a miss. I thought the OP was asking about the wording and page, not the event, since it hasn't happened yet. The event is being billed as formal, so I thought the wording and description should match the formality level of the event. I wasn't going to be a grammar nazi since my own grammar is not perfect, but if you're going to put such an event on than you should spend the time to make sure it looks professional because it represents and describes what people can expect the event to be like. The description of the theme needs to be more concise. Many lolitas will want to match the theme, and it would be easier to do so if it were more clearly stated. I have also never met a lolita who did not just call herself a lolita, so I thought "lolita enthusiasts" was strangely phrased. And, once again, i never said the event was stupid.
Liona Lionheart
The event is being billed as formal, so I thought the wording and description should match the formality level of the event.

Ha....
formal....
they wish...
I've seen them advertise the events on anime group/sites and cosplay group/sites. Those types of people are far from elegant, no matter how hard they try. this event is half lolita and half "japan omg kawaiii!" I don't blame them though. Even though there are a lot of lolita in the tristate area it's not enough to fill an event of this size so they have to get guest who generally like the subject.

Fashionable Gawker

zaMmaP
Liona Lionheart
The event is being billed as formal, so I thought the wording and description should match the formality level of the event.

Ha....
formal....
they wish...
I've seen them advertise the events on anime group/sites and cosplay group/sites. Those types of people are far from elegant, no matter how hard they try. this event is half lolita and half "japan omg kawaiii!" I don't blame them though. Even though there are a lot of lolita in the tristate area it's not enough to fill an event of this size so they have to get guest who generally like the subject.
I was kinda wondering about that, because they refer to it as a "formal ball" a couple times, but at the same time I got the impression it's not really a ball but more like a really big meetup of sorts? But than why call it a formal ball in that case? People will be expecting something completely different if you use words like "formal", "Rococo", "ball", and "masquerade". Like I said, confusing. The "Special Guests" descriptions read like the descriptions of a panel at a con, so are they having speakers or are those the entertainment? I get the financial aspect of needing a bigger audience, but I feel like quality and elegance are such a big part of lolita that it's a shame if they're going for size of the event instead of quality. Well, I hope it turns out well.

Cheery Sweetheart

I'm honestly surprised, it looks a lot better than I thought it would back when I first heard about it. It takes a lot of organization to pull off something like that, and it looks like they do sort of know what they're doing. Whether they can keep it that way on the actual day of the event is a different story... but it does look better than it seemed before.
I'm going to the other event, but a friend of mine is going to that one. So I guess I'll hear from her how it is... and I agree, for a "formal ball" Lolita event, it is odd how much it's laid out like a convention...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff