Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stellar Succubus

Elerina
An age ago I had someone dismiss my entire argument because my avatar was wearing a black bra, net top and matching skirt. what they said was something to the effect of "How do you expect me to believe what you say when you're dressed like a whore?"
Yeah, because avatar = real life dress sense. You'd never catch me in a net top and short skirt IRL. And dress sense has anything to do with a well structured and well informed adult rebuttal? (It happened in the ED)
I think i got very upset and angry over such a shallow opinion and gave a very undignified response. This was way back in '04-'05 when there wasn't half as much stuff to use as there is now and the net top and goth skirt thing was 'cool'.

This reminds me of a guy recently in another forum here. He had a darker natural skin toned avatar, and he was trying to play the race card, saying Gaia were racist for banning him.

There really are those that do not think outside the box on here, it's completely beyond them that someone would choose to have an avatar that looks nothing like them.

Sexy Exhibitionist

13,125 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
wonderfinch
Evalinna
>< i hate the GD, it's a scary place...
I don't know why people use slurs on here; i mean i suppose you could argue it's online, so what's it matter. But on the other hand if you're a decent human offline, that would carry over online....maybe i'm just being optimistic lol.

I don't care for it, either, but this was a long time ago before it kind of went to crap X'D

Lol I suspect you are being optimistic! Even when it's online, I do find those words offensive, but beyond that, it's so dumb to use them... They're very emphatically against the TOS so why get banned over something so dumb and trivial?

ahh, i never got to experience the GD when it wasn't awful....
XP thought i was lol. And i agree, it is so dumb to use them, but i guess they just don't care either way

Apocalyptic Warrior

27,375 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle Hardened 150
VVhip
Elerina
An age ago I had someone dismiss my entire argument because my avatar was wearing a black bra, net top and matching skirt. what they said was something to the effect of "How do you expect me to believe what you say when you're dressed like a whore?"
Yeah, because avatar = real life dress sense. You'd never catch me in a net top and short skirt IRL. And dress sense has anything to do with a well structured and well informed adult rebuttal? (It happened in the ED)
I think i got very upset and angry over such a shallow opinion and gave a very undignified response. This was way back in '04-'05 when there wasn't half as much stuff to use as there is now and the net top and goth skirt thing was 'cool'.

This reminds me of a guy recently in another forum here. He had a darker natural skin toned avatar, and he was trying to play the race card, saying Gaia were racist for banning him.

There really are those that do not think outside the box on here, it's completely beyond them that someone would choose to have an avatar that looks nothing like them.
Precisely. When I first joined I had the darkest skin tone available as my base and i'm white irl. The whole point of Gaia's avatar system is be as creative as possible and not necessarily making one that looks like your real self. I'm not really a grey dark elf, but a pasty skinned Aussie. I choose to be something else because it's fun.

Stellar Succubus

Elerina
VVhip
Elerina

Precisely. When I first joined I had the darkest skin tone available as my base and i'm white irl. The whole point of Gaia's avatar system is be as creative as possible and not necessarily making one that looks like your real self. I'm not really a grey dark elf, but a pasty skinned Aussie. I choose to be something else because it's fun.

*fistbumps another pasty skinned Aussie* XD

And I don't walk around in longcoats with a belt over my eyes.

I see it more often in the rallies or flash areas, people thinking that the avatar represents the person behind it in a literal sense!

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
VVhip

I see it more often in the rallies or flash areas, people thinking that the avatar represents the person behind it in a literal sense!

Eh, I think it's sometimes the case- I do go out of my way to keep my avi's eyes and skintone similar to my own, and until recently my avi's hair was a pretty spot-on match to my hair IRL (I only changed it because Gaia doesn't have a color that matches my new beige shade). I also wear classic lolita in real life and my avatar's style is generally a reflection of that.

With that said, I generally assume I'm the exception rather than the rule, and I just don't understand why you'd judge someone based on their pixels. Yeah, I may have dark skin and eyes IRL but why would one ever assume I had two pairs of horns, a winged headband, a giant needle, and a pair of six-inch heel-less platforms? Obviously there's almost always an element of fantasy going on in Gaian avatars so it seems stupid as all heck to judge someone as a person solely for their avi (unless you're judging their avi-creating ability, haha).

Stellar Succubus

wonderfinch
VVhip

Eh, I think it's sometimes the case- I do go out of my way to keep my avi's eyes and skintone similar to my own, and until recently my avi's hair was a pretty spot-on match to my hair IRL (I only changed it because Gaia doesn't have a color that matches my new beige shade). I also wear classic lolita in real life and my avatar's style is generally a reflection of that.

With that said, I generally assume I'm the exception rather than the rule, and I just don't understand why you'd judge someone based on their pixels. Yeah, I may have dark skin and eyes IRL but why would one ever assume I had two pairs of horns, a winged headband, a giant needle, and a pair of six-inch heel-less platforms? Obviously there's almost always an element of fantasy going on in Gaian avatars so it seems stupid as all heck to judge someone as a person solely for their avi (unless you're judging their avi-creating ability, haha).

I assume though, that you realise that not everyone does as you do. Which is not how it is with some I've met. They were the opposite, couldn't even fathom that someone would want to create an avatar of opposite colour or gender, or species XD

As for creating ability, that's all down to preferences too! For example, I really dislike straight up matching. It's got some challenge to it, yes... but there's often no heart. That is my opinion, I wouldn't seriously dislike someone for it, though. It's just what I wouldn't choose to do.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
VVhip
wonderfinch
VVhip

I assume though, that you realise that not everyone does as you do. Which is not how it is with some I've met. They were the opposite, couldn't even fathom that someone would want to create an avatar of opposite colour or gender, or species XD

As for creating ability, that's all down to preferences too! For example, I really dislike straight up matching. It's got some challenge to it, yes... but there's often no heart. That is my opinion, I wouldn't seriously dislike someone for it, though. It's just what I wouldn't choose to do.

Ah, yes, as I said I recognize that preference is the exception rather than the rule ^^ Due to the massive range of items available on Gaia I think most people take it as an opportunity to dress or look as they might not be able to look in real life- live out their fantasies, so to speak.

Oh, and yes, wouldn't try to say that judging avi-creating ability is any kind of objective thing X'D But it's the only really conceivable reason I can think of judging someone based on nothing more than their pixels. If I see an avi that doesn't appeal to my eye, I'll think, "Man, I really don't like the way that user paired those items," but.... that's about it. It doesn't affect the user's attitude or the content of their post, and I have plenty of friends who make avis that are pretty pants-crappingly offensive to my eye.

Enabler

9,250 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
Anti-Ling
Jittany Leggs
i think you can judge a person's aesthetic sensibility based on their avatars.

3nodding
And yours must be ******** awesome.

I don't think dolls give as good of a view as other art does
And it's hard to separate the sarcasm/personas
But usually you can get a very general idea of what someone's like...on that account

redface ma chérie you are too kind. i love what you've done with your tongue.

of course there are limitations in dolls, but you know, the overall shape and personality. a more sparse doll may be more of a minimalist because those basic shapes and dark clean lines appeal to them. a rally avatar generally looks like every other rally avatar so could we assume that person enjoys following a particular style/brand rather than having a personal flair?

i think it's interesting to mull over. i of course do take it all with a grain of salt. i don't judge their personality entirely off of an avatar because that idea is sort of ludicrous but does it give us a some insight on their individual palate? i think so.

Anxious Gaian

11,900 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
It is fantastic that we have a domain to flaunt our creative and artistic flair and dress and pamper our Gaian selves, but much like in real life, you will get people that will either form a negative opinion on how you look or judge you on what items you bear on your avatar.

In real life, i rarely wear colour. I like dark clothing and prefer to be unseen, on gaia i have the opportunity to experiment with styles, colours and clothing that I either cannot afford, do not dare to wear, or am not the right size to try and rock.

It's a shame that some people think they can 'get' your character from your online self rather than to the point you are trying to bring to discussion.

Shadowy Loiterer

Thunder rolled...

I don't think I have ever judged a person by their avatar, usually it's the way they type and their signature that helps me judge them

It rolled a six.

Perfectionist

23,600 Points
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Married 100
  • The Key to Victory 50
I Like topics like this; They make you think!

Uhm, well I'll be the first to admit that I do judge people. I really do. Sometimes my first impression of a person never changes. . . Unless I get to know them a bit more. It's not nice, but I do it anyway because it's just a reflex; Like kicking your doctor in the balls when he tests your reflex in your knee! It's just gonna happen!
I won't even lie to you, if I think a person's Avatar is done up poorly, I won't take what they have to say seriously. First impressions really are everything in my book, and I'm pretty sure I'm on someone's s**t list now for saying all of this. LOL! "Well! ******** you, Mr. "Sinistro"! [Ignores]"
We all judge. We ALL judge. Not all of us mean to, but we do. Like those people in Rally; we see them all as mindless Gangster-wannabes. Or people outside the GCD sees us all as pompous, fancy-pantsed, "pass the mother ******** tea and crumpets", "sticks up our arses" kind of people. We all judge. Doesn't make it right, but it's just part of our brain. We can't help but judge.
If I see more posting style than personality, I'm going to think you don't even have a personality. I'm just going to think you're up and about the forums just to show off your stupid posting style thing. If I see your Avatar has a Wild Things, or something like that equipped I'm going to think you're Poor. Or you're out to Troll.
In the end, what I think of you doesn't really matter unless you think it does, really.

And to answer the question (have I been victimized for how my Avatar looks): Not really. Sure, people make fun of my Avatar's skin colour, or they'll bring up the Faris B.S., but I don't call it being "victimized"; As I refuse to be a victim.

Cluttered Dabbler

9,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Junior Trader 100
It's hard to judge people based on their avatars especially since a lot of gaians change their avatars a lot.

I'm hardly on Gaia so I don't really get to see many avatars... I couldn't say that I'm judged or do judge people based on pixels. Not enough usable observational data.

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
i will never be able to fully trust someone with anything like the following avatars:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

(you know the people i mean..)

Decorated Nerd

When I'm buying stuff in the marketplace, I never buy stuff from a completely naked avi....is that called judging based on avatar? Possibly.

If someone makes cool avis, I may tend to be more interested in who they actually are (since I admired their creativity)...that's pretty much it.

Spoopy Werewolf

29,765 Points
  • Team Carl 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Magical Gems 500
I've been lucky to have people focus on my posts more than my avatar (since I usually have the red and black theme that people are noted to dislike). I try to do the same... I don't post as much as I used to, so if I find a topic that strikes my fancy I'll read it reguardless of the posters outfits.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff