Welcome to Gaia! ::

Philosophizing Smoker

44,750 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Winged 100
  • Master Slayer 200
"...Out of the crooked timber of humanity...

As other users have said, it really depends on the user.

I've been around since 2007... I kind of feel like an 'oldbie'... but there are also times I feel like a 'newbie'. And, that's after leaving the site during my first year and not coming back until last year.

Then again, I'm 27 irl, so that might be part of why I feel like an 'old' user of the site (plus, I briefly had an account in 2003, can't even remember the name or e-mail used, so I have some odd old memories).

There have been a lot of changes here since 2007, so I think someone who has been through those ropes is somewhat of an 'old' member. And, again, like others have said, some 'newbies' seem old, while some older users seem like 'newbies'. Some people catch on to the site incredibly fast. I'll admit it took me awhile.

...no straight thing was ever made..."

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
-x-Noxious-x-Nyx-x-
As other users have said, it really depends on the user.

I've been around since 2007... I kind of feel like an 'oldbie'... but there are also times I feel like a 'newbie'. And, that's after leaving the site during my first year and not coming back until last year.

Then again, I'm 27 irl, so that might be part of why I feel like an 'old' user of the site (plus, I briefly had an account in 2003, can't even remember the name or e-mail used, so I have some odd old memories).

There have been a lot of changes here since 2007, so I think someone who has been through those ropes is somewhat of an 'old' member. And, again, like others have said, some 'newbies' seem old, while some older users seem like 'newbies'. Some people catch on to the site incredibly fast. I'll admit it took me awhile.

That may be a contributing factor as to why I feel relatively "young" in Gaia terms. I've been around since '04, but I'm only 21. As I'm significantly younger than a significant chunk of the users on the site, it's really hard to feel like an "oldbie."

Also, I kind of agree with all the changes... no matter how long you've been around, it's easy to feel like a newbie.

Hardcore Unicorn

20,825 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Object of Affection 150
✘✘✘
    Been on Gaia since January 2004, yes, I consider myself old. Anything from 2003-2006 is old to me. I feel like people from that era have the same nostalgic feelings as I do about Gaia and its evolution. Really though, I can still have riveting conversation with someone that joined after that date, I guess. I remember that it used to matter about who was a newbie or oldbie but now I don't really care.

Sexy Exhibitionist

13,125 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
I joined in 2009, little under 4 years ago. I've debated this subject for a while lol. How do you know when you're an oldbie, or not a newbie anymore? I've come to this conclusion:

your first 3 years on here
the next 3 years
MIDDLEBIE
and however long you remain here after that 6 years
OLDBIE

I think the amount of familiarity someone has with the sight depends on age, as well as how people interact with each other on here. But as for meeting people, no it doesn't matter to me.

~Eva

Philosophizing Smoker

44,750 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Winged 100
  • Master Slayer 200
"...Out of the crooked timber of humanity...

It's interesting how events and changes on Gaia, as well as in the real world, contribute to feeling old or new on the site.

When I started using the site, I was in university (even in 2003, just started university)... when I started again in 2007, it was part of a social media assignment and got abandoned not long after I created the account (and adopted a Christmas orphan) wink

But, my long-winded point was, since 2007, offline, I have been in school, met someone 15 years older than I am and ended up marrying her, got a teenage step-daughter, left university to take care of them, divorced, moved in with a roommate, got a different roommate after the first one left town, then moved into a flat downstairs from my parents' flat, and now live alone with my dog and two cats. Point? My life has changed so much in 5 years that, by the time I started using the site last year, and got really into it, I really began to feel like a member of the community.

I think once you end up feeling like a member of the community, you grow with it and any lapse of time makes you have moments of feeling 'old'.

...no straight thing was ever made..."

wonderfinch

That may be a contributing factor as to why I feel relatively "young" in Gaia terms. I've been around since '04, but I'm only 21. As I'm significantly younger than a significant chunk of the users on the site, it's really hard to feel like an "oldbie."

Also, I kind of agree with all the changes... no matter how long you've been around, it's easy to feel like a newbie.
same. I joined in 2004 and the 'old' nowadays refers to the 06, 07, 08's. but then it's like 'well what does that make us? (03, 04)? ANCIENT? lol

Mega Winner

10,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Timid 100
i think 2007 is in the middle. not new or not old.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
i m o g e n
same. I joined in 2004 and the 'old' nowadays refers to the 06, 07, 08's. but then it's like 'well what does that make us? (03, 04)? ANCIENT? lol

Decrepit? Crusty? Grouchy?

There are a lot of options d:

4,500 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
in the matter of the facts ive been in gaia since 2009 and i think its old enough this wa my old avi age on gaia but it was stolen to me............now i have this new avi that is kinda young in here but however i think that being new in gaia its for the 6 month avis or something like that....maybe im wrong..... stare
i've been here since 2005, with long periods of inactivity. i still feel like a newbie at times. i don't post much or chat at all. i only recently logged into this account again after being away for about 2 1/2 years, and so much has changed!

Codebreaking Mage

11,650 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
Myrielle
It's time for me to reassess my life. Where did it all go?

Its in the kitchen jumble drawer.

On topic: I dunno. I feel like an elder gaian sometimes. I mean, between the GR, Scans, and my account age(first acount only a few weeks after halo release), I've been around.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Enduring Phantom

I joined in May of 2004.

Some people would say that's not something to be proud of.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
ragnaroknroll
I joined in May of 2004.

Some people would say that's not something to be proud of.

I often feel the same way... it's a little weird sometimes to explain why you're now a "grown-up" and yet still spend time on a "kiddie" site.

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I consider players whom have been around longer than me to be older accounts and the ones which have joined since to be newer accounts.

I have seen some peeps that I though had been around several years and they have confirmed they have been around less than a year.

but honestly to me its more about how someone behaves. Those people who joined and have been trolling since 2003 to me are still n00bs.

But things like account worth hasnt mattered to me since I learnt how easy it is to make 100m in a year with no investment but time if you really try. So basically age and worth dont matter to me, if you can hold a convo Im happy to talk.

Virtuous Noob

*holds hand up* '03 member here, hai.

To me it seems a very long time ago that I joined, so much in my life has changed and yet I still come on here.

Anyone who's older than 3 years is an oldie because in internet terms three years is forever to be on a site like this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff