Welcome to Gaia! ::

Welly well, I've recently had some trouble with the beginning of a story (the legendary one I've been writing for two years). It has come to my attention that it might be too typical and I realize I have to give some details, but be warned that I will not spread everything on the table just yet.

Anyway, aside from the very beginning that I intend to keep (it's an introduction, a very short and very awesome one that will not be changed which sort of lays out the setting and the beginning of the plot and storyline) the rest of the beginning seems unsurprising or just plain to me.

The beginning I intended to have was just basically the MC's first day of school and ends with her comparing her new circumstances to her old ones (in the ghetto). It starts with three (snobby, rich) girls who are talking about the "new guy" who got into the academy (there are such things as American academies so this wasn't drawn from Japanese culture) solely on a all-funds paid scholarship (which is explained later as something happened for a reason and through logic etc, so it's not plot convenience or something randomly happening). Well, the girl's late to class (she's typically on time and never early but once in a while she's late) and everyone's surprised that the new student is a girl because the rumor was that it was a guy. Not only that, but they're wondering why she's (the new student) wearing the guy's uniform and not the girl's uniform (so she's a cross dresser sort of but more for practicality than for not liking her own gender; plush she hates wearing skirts). Anyway, despite this, she makes friends throughout the day until at lunch, those three girls from the beginning with the ring leader in the lead reveal that she's from the District 2 (which marks her as a sort of criminal in the minds of the students because District 2 is the ghetto and District 1 is the "East Side" or the upper class domain). Anyway, after that, her friends are restricted to two really good friends who are significant throughout the rest of the plot.

Later that day, she goes home and the mother is introduced and through dialogue between them, it's obvious there's a problem with their mother/daughter relationship though it's not apparent at first what the problem is or why it's there. That comes out later (something which is also not going to change).

I guess what I'm asking is:

Is this a stupid/typical/awful/could-be-better beginning?

Do you have any suggestions for a different beginning as far as introducing the main characters (and two main supporting roles)?

If this beginning is "okay", what would you change to make it better?

Any questions? Just ask and I may or may not be able to answer them depending on my level of paranoia for the day. ^_^

EDIT: I posted this elsewhere and didn't get much variety (or rather not very quickly which is important to me at this point because I wanna nail this before I move on). ^_^ Shanks in advance.

Shy Fatcat

When I first started to read what occurs in the beginning, I did roll my eyes because it sounded very cliché. Then it turns out that the new guy is actually a girl, which surprised me. I liked that. smile However, to keep your reader interested, you may want to change things a little-- such as the cliché three rich bitchy girls.

Also, be careful with the District 1/District 2 idea. Perhaps change what they're called? I think with a few little tweaks, it's going to make a killer story.

Distinct Genius

5,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
i am book worm
When I first started to read what occurs in the beginning, I did roll my eyes because it sounded very cliché. Then it turns out that the new guy is actually a girl, which surprised me. I liked that. smile However, to keep your reader interested, you may want to change things a little-- such as the cliché three rich bitchy girls.

Also, be careful with the District 1/District 2 idea. Perhaps change what they're called? I think with a few little tweaks, it's going to make a killer story.

Actually, I think that the "guy is actually a girl" thing is kinda cliche. But then again, that's just me. Point is, I come across that A LOT. Perhaps you should change that to something different? Or not. I don't know. If you can pull it off wonderfully, go ahead. smile

Distinct Conversationalist

Hrm. I would have to know more about the story itself to know whether this would make a good beginning, but I encourage you to ask yourself: what does this reveal about the characters, setting, relationships, and plot, and how does that play into the larger arc of events?

What I'm getting so far is:

The Main Character: is female/feminine, (no, I don't mean that she's a girly-girl by this) but will ignore things assigned to her gender if she considers them impractical, she's from a poor neighborhood, she's going to a rich school, she's smart or something?

The Setting: I'm not sure whether the Districts are called Districts or whether that's a placeholder name (oddly enough, I thought District 9 before Hunger Games) but they have different school systems and are at least somewhat organized by economic status, but you can get scholarships to go to different schools, so they kind of sound more like real-life neighborhoods; rich people don't like poor people, but that's sort of a universal constant-- you'd have to do weird s**t with your world to make it not true

Other Characters: there's a trio of Mean Girls, but I don't know if they're significant in the larger picture; the main character has two friends who disregard class prejudice to hang out with her; (I'm getting kind of a FREE SPIRITS vibe from them and the MC, you might want to keep an eye on that or it'll get obnoxious) the MC and her mom have some kind of tension going on

The Plot: ???

And that's kind of a problem. That's a lot of Stuff Happening for no plot, and even if it sets the foundations for stuff that's important later on, there's no sense of momentum. This could depend somewhat on what the intro you've got in mind is, but if it's not executed well, it would be like watching an exciting opening cinematic on a video game and then spending severals hours on inventory management puzzles before the Plot Train arrives.

If you want to spend some time before zooming off to adventure (and that is a totally legit thing to do) make sure something gives us a sense of rising action, be it little Interesting Things that turn up like story breadcrumbs leading to the main plot or a secondary conflict which is either resolved or derailed relatively early on. Or really anything you can think of. But right now it might be a little filler-y.
i am book worm

Phantasm1313

Kita-Ysabell

Thanks for your input everyone. ^_^ I've configured a whole big juicy beginning by scrapping every bit of the beginning I posted. Appreciate it, seriously! ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff