Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
supervamp78
Mugetsu Ookamiza
dubs these days typically get slightly Americanized at most. dubs these days are accurate enough in general that there is often no significant difference between the official sub and the dub. a professional translator worth their salt will work to make a translation as accurate as possible regardless of if it's for a sub or a dub. also, a difference between subs and the dub lines doesn't always mean one is more literal than the other. there's often more than one way to accurately translate things, which means even if the subs and the dub aren't word for word the same they can still be just as accurate.

plus, sometimes a completely literal accurate translation is not the best route. take a line or scene that relies heavily on a pun or lots of wordplay that relies heavily on homophones; would the best translation of that kind of scene be a literal word-for-word as close as possible one or something that adapts it into something that actually works in the language it's getting translated to?

the best for that scene would be to get to orginal attent of that scene without changing it you want them to alter stuff?
I'm talking like in a case where the scene is intended to have a lot of wordplay and humor, or maybe even plot foreshadowing, involving that wordplay is the intent of that scene. stuff where a literal translation would remove that. like how "the rose rose in the rows" would be wordplay in English involving homonyms and homophones, but if you translated that into another language you'd remove that wordplay more than likely.

when you're translating stuff that involves wordplay if you want to keep that wordplay intact you often CANNOT do a direct translation. that's why we have that weird line of "Yuuri is short for urine" in the Kyo Kara Maoh dub when the original version was "Shibuya Yuuri Harajuku Furi" (translating literally to: if Shibuya is profitable then Harajuku is unprofitable). an English speaking fan wouldn't have gotten the joke at all so they had to change it to keep the spirit of the line (and they ran with the fact that when they first address it it's Yuuri's mom talking about it with a fountain in the background). it's not perfect, but a literal translation would have been an even WORSE option. after all, would a "if Shibuya is profitable then Harajuku is unprofitable" sound more like something a bunch of bullies mocking Yuuri's name would say than "Yuuri is short for urine" would? (and it IS established in series as something people have used to mock his name as his family name is Shibuya.) I don't think so.
Mugetsu Ookamiza
supervamp78
Mugetsu Ookamiza
dubs these days typically get slightly Americanized at most. dubs these days are accurate enough in general that there is often no significant difference between the official sub and the dub. a professional translator worth their salt will work to make a translation as accurate as possible regardless of if it's for a sub or a dub. also, a difference between subs and the dub lines doesn't always mean one is more literal than the other. there's often more than one way to accurately translate things, which means even if the subs and the dub aren't word for word the same they can still be just as accurate.

plus, sometimes a completely literal accurate translation is not the best route. take a line or scene that relies heavily on a pun or lots of wordplay that relies heavily on homophones; would the best translation of that kind of scene be a literal word-for-word as close as possible one or something that adapts it into something that actually works in the language it's getting translated to?

the best for that scene would be to get to orginal attent of that scene without changing it you want them to alter stuff?
I'm talking like in a case where the scene is intended to have a lot of wordplay and humor, or maybe even plot foreshadowing, involving that wordplay is the intent of that scene. stuff where a literal translation would remove that. like how "the rose rose in the rows" would be wordplay in English involving homonyms and homophones, but if you translated that into another language you'd remove that wordplay more than likely.

when you're translating stuff that involves wordplay if you want to keep that wordplay intact you often CANNOT do a direct translation. that's why we have that weird line of "Yuuri is short for urine" in the Kyo Kara Maoh dub when the original version was "Shibuya Yuuri Harajuku Furi" (translating literally to: if Shibuya is profitable then Harajuku is unprofitable). an English speaking fan wouldn't have gotten the joke at all so they had to change it to keep the spirit of the line (and they ran with the fact that when they first address it it's Yuuri's mom talking about it with a fountain in the background). it's not perfect, but a literal translation would have been an even WORSE option. after all, would a "if Shibuya is profitable then Harajuku is unprofitable" sound more like something a bunch of bullies mocking Yuuri's name would say than "Yuuri is short for urine" would? (and it IS established in series as something people have used to mock his name as his family name is Shibuya.) I don't think so.

A literal translation is when they translation into english but they don't cut many corners in making it make sense instead of taking the usual dub route and editing out scenes and voices to make it sense.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
supervamp78
Mugetsu Ookamiza
supervamp78
Mugetsu Ookamiza

A literal translation is when they translation into english but they don't cut many corners in making it make sense instead of taking the usual dub route and editing out scenes and voices to make it sense.
that's not literal. do you know what literal means?
Quote:
literal
adj. verbatim, following the letter or exact words of the original, word for word; factual; accurate; relating to or expressed in letters

a literal translation would be a direct, unadapted translation altered only enough so that it grammatically makes sense in the language it's being translated into.

also, are you implying dubs typically edit out scenes? seriously? outside of TV dubs that hasn't been common for over a decade, and even with TV dubs these they hardly edit out much at all. 4Kids still does that pretty much, but they're basically a kids media company, not a typical anime dubbing company.
Mugetsu Ookamiza
supervamp78
Mugetsu Ookamiza
supervamp78
Mugetsu Ookamiza

Quote:
literal
adj. verbatim, following the letter or exact words of the original, word for word; factual; accurate; relating to or expressed in letters

a literal translation would be a direct, unadapted translation altered only enough so that it grammatically makes sense in the language it's being translated into.

also, are you implying dubs typically edit out scenes? seriously? outside of TV dubs that hasn't been common for over a decade, and even with TV dubs these they hardly edit out much at all. 4Kids still does that pretty much, but they're basically a kids media company, not a typical anime dubbing company.

actually funimation does it,viz does, lots of dub companies do it 4kids does it heavly other companies may or may not depending on.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
supervamp78
Mugetsu Ookamiza
supervamp78
Quote:
literal

actually funimation does it,viz does, lots of dub companies do it 4kids does it heavly other companies may or may not depending on.

pardon my English right now, I'm a bit drunk since the weather made me have a pain flare so bad none of the pain meds I have are doing ANYTHING so I'm just downing booze so I can at least do SOMETHING to make it more bearable...

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
holy ********' s**t you have just lost ANY credibility you had spouting that bullshit. you've got your head so far up your a** wanting to believe this fallacy that dubs are "impure" compared to the sub that I wouldn't be surprised if you could see out the other side!!!! only weaboo n00btaku Japanophiles spout that offal anymore, and I sure as hell know that because I've been in the anime long enough I remember a time when it really was ********' true that most dubs were bloody dubedits! how the ******** could we have bilingual DVDs that you only had to switch the audio track over from English to Japanese and turn on the subs to get a subbed version exist if they had ANY ********' scenes removed? it would completely screw up the timing! and it's not like the subbed versions we get on there have anything cut, they've got the ********' same damn runtime as the Japanese eps!
Mugetsu Ookamiza
supervamp78
Mugetsu Ookamiza
supervamp78
Quote:
literal

pardon my English right now, I'm a bit drunk since the weather made me have a pain flare so bad none of the pain meds I have are doing ANYTHING so I'm just downing booze so I can at least do SOMETHING to make it more bearable...

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
holy ********' s**t you have just lost ANY credibility you had spouting that bullshit. you've got your head so far up your a** wanting to believe this fallacy that dubs are "impure" compared to the sub that I wouldn't be surprised if you could see out the other side!!!! only weaboo n00btaku Japanophiles spout that offal anymore, and I sure as hell know that because I've been in the anime long enough I remember a time when it really was ********' true that most dubs were bloody dubedits! how the ******** could we have bilingual DVDs that you only had to switch the audio track over from English to Japanese and turn on the subs to get a subbed version exist if they had ANY ********' scenes removed? it would completely screw up the timing! and it's not like the subbed versions we get on there have anything cut, they've got the ********' same damn runtime as the Japanese eps!

yeah your completely drunk, ive seen an anime dvd that has english and japanese with subs and they were different they had cut outvoices in some scenes and there was subs where a scene was different. it happens get over its not bad thing and its a nice bussiness move but i like keeping true to the actual script and dubs just sound terrible to me so i usually just watch in subs ill watch dubs if its on tv other then that ill alwyas find the subs on my own.
supervamp78

Very few dubs these days edit scenes and cut corners. I don't think you know what the average dub of 2012 is like. I think your going by the standards of the standard dub of 1996 or maybe 2000. Times have changed and there have been huge improvements.

Subs cut corners too you know. Especially subs that are released the same day on the Japanese version airs. Those subs tend to be rushed and have lots of cut corner translations. Most curse words in subs are corners being cut to release the sub quicker.
Creativerealms
supervamp78

Very few dubs these days edit scenes and cut corners. I don't think you know what the average dub of 2012 is like. I think your going by the standards of the standard dub of 1996 or maybe 2000. Times have changed and there have been huge improvements.

Subs cut corners too you know. Especially subs that are released the same day on the Japanese version airs. Those subs tend to be rushed and have lots of cut corner translations. Most curse words in subs are corners being cut to release the sub quicker.

Theres alot of vareity in subs so you don't have to go with one translator or translation and by saying subs cut corners are you admiting that dubs still do also?
Creativerealms
jacobuscrispapple
Subs all the way. Especially with Naruto, dubs are horrible.

Now this is clearly a matter of opinion but Naruto has a very accurate dub. It has a translation whose biggest flaw is that it "japananizes the English language" by adding in Japanese words that could have easily been translated into English. The dub also does a pretty good job with the cast and several of the roles including Naruto were casted based on sounding close to the Japanese version.

if naruto is someone's prime example of a bad dub then they have never seen a bad dub. i envy those people. Naruto is at worst an average dub and at best a good dub. it's not one of the best dubs out there but it is far from the worst.

Oh if you have only seen the TV dub of Naruto then you have not seen the full dub, it is the uncut dub that matters not the edited for TV dub.

I'm sorry, I didn't quite explain myself. I didn't mean the translation into English. I was referring to the English voice acting. I don't think they are that great. Naruto just sounds way better in Jap.
Madame Elizabeth
I hate dubs!!. It just messes everything up to me. A lot of the voices dont even match the characters they are playing. Plus if you truly love anime and the Japanese culture, you will watch it the original way. Plus by having subs, its like another way of learning the Japanese language :3
this statement is so WRONG. Actually, if you truly love anime and the japanese culture, you would not discriminate between voices. Just because the audio is original does not necessarily mean it is superior. Also, the japanese language is far too complex to be picked up by simply watching subbed anime. the only way to attain the ability to speak japanese is to take classes for it talk2hand

Kcassius's Senpai

Versatile Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
nathan45692
Madame Elizabeth
I hate dubs!!. It just messes everything up to me. A lot of the voices dont even match the characters they are playing. Plus if you truly love anime and the Japanese culture, you will watch it the original way. Plus by having subs, its like another way of learning the Japanese language :3
this statement is so WRONG. Actually, if you truly love anime and the japanese culture, you would not discriminate between voices. Just because the audio is original does not necessarily mean it is superior. Also, the japanese language is far too complex to be picked up by simply watching subbed anime. the only way to attain the ability to speak japanese is to take classes for it talk2hand

Your opinion about learning the Japanese language is what works for you. I grew in a family that loves the Japanese culture. Watching there television and anime has abled me to learn the Japanese language without even trying. Sure this method may not work for everyone. Especially since my family loving the culture is an advantage for me. But it does work. Im not discriminating between voices. Im just saying that since it was made in Japan that people should not just try to change it. Japanese is not to hard to learn, it depends on the person. Im not arguing about this. This is my opinion. Im glad to hear others opinions on this, so im sorry if this offended you or anything.
Madame Elizabeth
nathan45692
Madame Elizabeth

Your opinion about learning the Japanese language is what works for you. I grew in a family that loves the Japanese culture. Watching there television and anime has abled me to learn the Japanese language without even trying. Sure this method may not work for everyone. Especially since my family loving the culture is an advantage for me. But it does work. Im not discriminating between voices. Im just saying that since it was made in Japan that people should not just try to change it. Japanese is not to hard to learn, it depends on the person. Im not arguing about this. This is my opinion. Im glad to hear others opinions on this, so im sorry if this offended you or anything.
i'm having trouble understanding how one can learn an entire language from simply hearing it with subtitles, but if what you're saying is true i suppose it isnt impossible. I like to hear anime in english because that is what i'm more comfortable with. People are only trying to "change" anime because it has become very popular in the US and some people like myself may feel better watching it in our native tongue. people are not paying attention to what matters. The reason i watch it isn't because its from japan. i just find it entertaining.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
nathan45692
Madame Elizabeth
nathan45692
Madame Elizabeth

i'm having trouble understanding how one can learn an entire language from simply hearing it with subtitles, but if what you're saying is true i suppose it isnt impossible. I like to hear anime in english because that is what i'm more comfortable with. People are only trying to "change" anime because it has become very popular in the US and some people like myself may feel better watching it in our native tongue. people are not paying attention to what matters. The reason i watch it isn't because its from japan. i just find it entertaining.
it may be possible for a young enough child to pick up enough to get some of the basics if they're exposed to a foreign language often enough as a kid. but generally when they're that young they're also young enough their reading skills are at a level they'd have a lot of trouble keeping up with subs, too.
i like subs most of the time because sometimes ......most of the time they get it right i mean out of all the animes i watched fruits basket was the worst with subs no one matched but dubs sometimes get it right

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff