Welcome to Gaia! ::

Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology – where each worker may bloom, secure from the pests purveying contradictory truths. Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause. Our enemies shall talk themselves to death, and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!
Considering the market share of OSX and the target group i hardly consider this a problem. Windows going that route is far worse in my opinion (not least because i want to keep using that).
Called that. Bet the opt out switch won't stick around either. Eventually (if desktops are still around), you'll need to jailbreak your MBP.

Shameless Enabler

It's an option you can turn on or off at will; I refuse to get up in arms about it until it is no longer an option at all . Despite increasing parity between OSX and iOS Apple have repeatedly made it clear that they consider the two OSes to be different solutions for different problems, app distribution included. It's seems more of a step to protect more naive end users against the sort of malware that turned Windows into a mess during its rise to power, and once its implemented and in practice, I don't think it'll be a massive affront to user rights (and I'm not of the opinion that it's the first step on a slippery slope, either).
First, they get rid of the right click.
then then they get rid of USB ports. then they get rid of optic drives. What's next, they get rid of the mouse? Get rid of the keyboard? Become the first laptop without a screen? (but you can dock the ipad to it and have it be the screen with the $59 iConnect app)

Shameless Enabler

Bento the spazcat
then then they get rid of USB ports. then they get rid of optic drives. What's next, they get rid of the mouse? Get rid of the keyboard? Become the first laptop without a screen? (but you can dock the ipad to it and have it be the screen with the $59 iConnect app)
They never had a right mouse button, still support USB (where the hell did you get that notion?), and no one was using optical drives anyway (seriously, it's a vanishingly rare use-case). What next, more hyperbole?
nouveau sereph
Bento the spazcat
They never had a right mouse button, still support USB (where the hell did you get that notion?)
I would have to guess from their development/support of Lightpeak/Thunderbolt. Although it could be argued that they're not trying to replace USB, but to make a protocol agnostic connection and to leave it up to the peripherals to decide "how" to connect.

Otherwise.... yeah, what?
javecantrell
Called that. Bet the opt out switch won't stick around either. Eventually (if desktops are still around), you'll need to jailbreak your MBP.
And then I saw this.

Shameless Enabler

Minion4Hire
nouveau sereph
Bento the spazcat
They never had a right mouse button, still support USB (where the hell did you get that notion?)
I would have to guess from their development/support of Lightpeak/Thunderbolt. Although it could be argued that they're not trying to replace USB, but to make a protocol agnostic connection and to leave it up to the peripherals to decide "how" to connect.

Otherwise.... yeah, what?
I think if they ever did remove USB ports on their computers, history says it would only be when something was really looking like it was gonna replace it. Just look at their treatment of floppy drives, or serial ports, in the past, or even optical drives in the present - they may have removed them a little more prematurely than the rest of the industry, but both serial ports and floppy drives became obsolete only a few short years after Apple had given up on them, and optical drives are becoming increasingly irrelevant today, in the face of digital downloads. I don't know if Thunderbolt will be the technology to unseat USB, but I'm positive Apple wouldn't bet the farm on it until they're certain.
I'm not too worried about Microsoft going this route with windows. It seems like they're testing new waters, and it's going to be an enormous flop with their corporate customers (Which is by far where most of their money comes from.. unlike apple which is mostly consumer).

Once they see no businesses are migrating to Windows 8, they'll be forced to re-think their direction.
psychic stalker
javecantrell
And then I saw this.
You think they'll try to close the entire system so nobody but those who pay for their development environment and a license to make software have any chance of writing applications for their platforms?
The20
psychic stalker
javecantrell
And then I saw this.
You think they'll try to close the entire system so nobody but those who pay for their development environment and a license to make software have any chance of writing applications for their platforms?
I don't know. There's certainly evidence for that building.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

psychic stalker
The20
That would probably be a really bad idea. Do they really want to make an even higher barrier to entry for developing applications for their platform? It sounds like they're going to end up making it so difficult and expensive to develop applications for Apple systems that they're going to miss out on a lot of new innovations.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPmC1UAAoJEMco5sYyM+0w2p8IAKII8JhH1wXh5lyme7+qIijo
MYLoI+Ce+sf56FcVXRJLwr532k1B8Dl+s2HODiA95KTolgEYAHlXUq1H/+tF0NZk
UyQTUGNwO1nzTO/dIOeML3MefN7VMpT3tSXyWDls2CW+nz0ipOQogaeeEEtHR2HT
ovBgFSpqcvUvNoLv1Gs33nMHpP/n9GsMWBqhoWAKKZ9hv0m+L4oDGTEMvOI+Wiun
78xwQaGabfOKBWQAhNteGlXGq5tt7mvRWTP+0u3wsmlLEVm4TppjQCljSqpFea0i
cNGE2Vp2XomnGinEMhg69FHrOIutCLcaGtpgeIebbwjOVukvCMtWv9L7wfT4P1g=
=/q9L
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Sitwon
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

psychic stalker
The20
That would probably be a really bad idea. Do they really want to make an even higher barrier to entry for developing applications for their platform? It sounds like they're going to end up making it so difficult and expensive to develop applications for Apple systems that they're going to miss out on a lot of new innovations.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPmC1UAAoJEMco5sYyM+0w2p8IAKII8JhH1wXh5lyme7+qIijo
MYLoI+Ce+sf56FcVXRJLwr532k1B8Dl+s2HODiA95KTolgEYAHlXUq1H/+tF0NZk
UyQTUGNwO1nzTO/dIOeML3MefN7VMpT3tSXyWDls2CW+nz0ipOQogaeeEEtHR2HT
ovBgFSpqcvUvNoLv1Gs33nMHpP/n9GsMWBqhoWAKKZ9hv0m+L4oDGTEMvOI+Wiun
78xwQaGabfOKBWQAhNteGlXGq5tt7mvRWTP+0u3wsmlLEVm4TppjQCljSqpFea0i
cNGE2Vp2XomnGinEMhg69FHrOIutCLcaGtpgeIebbwjOVukvCMtWv9L7wfT4P1g=
=/q9L
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
But Apple is the only one innovating. Everyone else just basks in their glory. Attempting innovation without the guiding hand of the almighty Apple would be sacrilegious!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff