Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm super shy too. I had two boyfriends who were pretty shy themselves. The first was one of my best friends, so I guess that doesn't count. The second...uh...we kind of both initiated it, I think. I don't really remember.

Maybe you can join a support group for social anxiety? That's what I'm going to do next semester. Who knows, maybe you'll meet a girl there. sweatdrop But I think it would be good practice for you, or at least join some kind of group therapy even if it's not specifically for social anxiety. There will be girls who there who will understand your problem (since that's the reason you're there) and I think the best way to start is with people who understand the best.

As for not being affectionate or whatever, I think that's totally fine. To be honest, I WISH I could find a guy who was like that because I don't like being very affectionate myself (both my boyfriends were so clingy!! Grr...)

I would try not to focus so much on getting a girlfriend. Just focus on getting girl friends. (Besides, girls cause lots of drama and stuff so maybe having a girlfriend right now isn't the best idea.) To be honest, even though I'm shy, not having a boyfriend doesn't make me feel lonely. I was the one who broke up with both my boyfriends and I feel much happier being single. biggrin

Also, about not having things to say, I'm sure you have plenty to say. It's just that shy people are better listeners than talkers. Fortunately for us, people like to talk about themselves, so you should ask questions about other people, like their interests, hobbies, career, etc. And parents love to talk about their children.

Okay, now I'm talking too much. Anyway, just know that shy guys don't finish last. Because of shyness, shy kids are more respectful, considerate, humble, and sensitive to others' feelings (I think it has to do with low self-esteem...but it's true! I research it sometimes sweatdrop ). They also make really loyal friends. In fact, if you look up the pros of being shy, you'll probably find lots of stuff! I know it's time for me to move on from being shy as well, but in spite of all the problems it has caused me, I am grateful for having been shy. So don't feel bad! You're already doing a great job!

PS. Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk. biggrin
xdre09x
Not great at all talking to females at all. I tend to avoid them on campus as much as possible, even if doing so would harm myself. It's like the worst to get group projects in classes, especially when I'm the only guy and I never speak until I'm spoken to. Every girlfriend I have ever had approached/ask me first, the last one being about 6 years ago.

I feel like it holds me back greatly in college socially, and even mentally having this phobia, but I can't help it stressed . I just feel like I am of no interest, don't have much to talk about, eye contact is extremely hard, harder than talking, I'm not a touchy, feely person whatsoever, hugs creep me out from anyone. I have plenty more I could type but its 3:21 AM and didn't want to make it tl:dr. Probably'll check replies tomorrow.

So, girls who have/have had an extremely shy boyfriend, who asked who out? Are you guys both shy or are you the outgoing one? Has it really irritated you at times? Are their any kind of advantages to having a shy guy?

guys, you have this problem? How does it affect you? If you used to, how did you break free of it? Would you consider your life much happier now after breaking free of it?
Guy here.

I did somewhat have this problem in high school. I was pretty shy, so any girls I got came up to me. I was a football player, so I was lucky enough to have a number of girls approach me, but that just meant that I never really dealt with my shyness issues. In college, when I was no longer in a situation where everybody knew me, things were much different. It did suck a bit, at first, when I was too nervous to talk to some girls at parties, and I generally just hung out with the guys instead of trying to pick girls up.

However, as soon as I really got a handle on why this was making me unhappy, I decided to change. The only way to do it is to jump in feet first. The best part about college is that a) there's lots of booze, and b) there's lots of people you'll never see again. Go to parties and hit on drunk girls. What's the worst that happens? You can work out every stupid line and every bit of nervousness, because if worst comes to worst and they don't go home with you, then you're just back where you would've been anyways.

Now, as soon as you're comfortable spouting off whatever and chatting up drunk girls, you can advance some more. The beauty of college (and, frankly, any community bigger than a small town) is that you'll most likely not see people again, outside of your group of friends. So, go to a part of town or campus that you don't normally go, find a girl who looks attractive, and simply ask her out to dinner/coffee/whatever you're comfortable with. Again, what's the worst that happens? If she turns you down, you're no worse off.

A problem that a lot of guys have is a fear of rejection, but face it, you're no Brad Pitt. Girls don't want to drop their panties as soon as you walk in the room. So, you just have to get used to rejection. Keep asking girls out, and you'll inevitably get rejected a lot. However, you just let that roll off your back and move on. Even if you only get one hit for every 20 girls you asked out, so what? That's a date! Good for you!

And, here's the big bad secret: girls ******** love confidence. Even if you're nervous as hell inside, fake it til you make it! Nervous isn't attractive. Walk up to a girl and say "Hi, excuse me, hope I'm not bothering you, but I noticed you from across the cafe, and you're just incredibly beautiful. I'd love to get coffee with you sometime, if you're free." That's confidence. If she says no, just say "Well, that's too bad, sorry to have bothered you. Have a nice day." Say it with a smile, and just walk away. No begging, no desperation, just cool confidence. I've had multiple girls reconsider as I walked away, and I'm not exactly a model or anything.

The more you do this in your daily life, just plunge right in to the world of talking to girls, the more you'll find yourself growing. You'll start getting more confident, you'll start realizing "hey, I CAN talk to women!" and women, in turn, will start saying "yes" when you ask them out. While I would normally say "there's no time to waste", I want to qualify by saying that rushing is desperate. Your time will come, and the girls with it. Just work on building yourself up, and good things will happen.

So, to summarize:

1. Get out there and jump right in.
2. Don't be afraid of rejection - embrace it and learn to ignore it.
3. CONFIDENCE = SEXY.
4. Don't be desperate - if a girl rejects you, move on with a smile, there's other fish in the sea.
5. Your time will come, don't try to rush it. Things will start to happen as you get more comfortable.
The_Asian_Invasion
xdre09x
Not great at all talking to females at all. I tend to avoid them on campus as much as possible, even if doing so would harm myself. It's like the worst to get group projects in classes, especially when I'm the only guy and I never speak until I'm spoken to. Every girlfriend I have ever had approached/ask me first, the last one being about 6 years ago.

I feel like it holds me back greatly in college socially, and even mentally having this phobia, but I can't help it stressed . I just feel like I am of no interest, don't have much to talk about, eye contact is extremely hard, harder than talking, I'm not a touchy, feely person whatsoever, hugs creep me out from anyone. I have plenty more I could type but its 3:21 AM and didn't want to make it tl:dr. Probably'll check replies tomorrow.

So, girls who have/have had an extremely shy boyfriend, who asked who out? Are you guys both shy or are you the outgoing one? Has it really irritated you at times? Are their any kind of advantages to having a shy guy?

guys, you have this problem? How does it affect you? If you used to, how did you break free of it? Would you consider your life much happier now after breaking free of it?

Now, as soon as you're comfortable spouting off whatever and chatting up drunk girls, you can advance some more. The beauty of college (and, frankly, any community bigger than a small town) is that you'll most likely not see people again, outside of your group of friends. So, go to a part of town or campus that you don't normally go, find a girl who looks attractive, and simply ask her out to dinner/coffee/whatever you're comfortable with. Again, what's the worst that happens? If she turns you down, you're no worse off.

A problem that a lot of guys have is a fear of rejection, but face it, you're no Brad Pitt. Girls don't want to drop their panties as soon as you walk in the room. So, you just have to get used to rejection. Keep asking girls out, and you'll inevitably get rejected a lot. However, you just let that roll off your back and move on. Even if you only get one hit for every 20 girls you asked out, so what? That's a date! Good for you!

And, here's the big bad secret: girls ******** love confidence. Even if you're nervous as hell inside, fake it til you make it! Nervous isn't attractive. Walk up to a girl and say "Hi, excuse me, hope I'm not bothering you, but I noticed you from across the cafe, and you're just incredibly beautiful. I'd love to get coffee with you sometime, if you're free." That's confidence. If she says no, just say "Well, that's too bad, sorry to have bothered you. Have a nice day." Say it with a smile, and just walk away. No begging, no desperation, just cool confidence. I've had multiple girls reconsider as I walked away, and I'm not exactly a model or anything.

Crap, I go to a private university and so there's about 4,000 students that go here, 2,500 that live on campus, and everywhere you go, you WILL see someone you know. The university is also in kind of a small town :. Also, with faking confidence, what if you are never confident, like you fake it asking her to have coffee, fake it when you guys do get coffee, fake it when you guys study or something together, fake it when you guys go to the movies, like is it possible that I won't be able to get better?

I am working on myself also, my roommate is on the football team and he helped me get confidence to go to the gym, been working out everyday for a month and a half, it helped my confidence in everything but girls :
Honestly, quit feeling like you have to be something other than you are. Once you're comfortable with your personality now, you'll grow more confident and outgoing naturally.
xdre09x
Crap, I go to a private university and so there's about 4,000 students that go here, 2,500 that live on campus, and everywhere you go, you WILL see someone you know. The university is also in kind of a small town :. Also, with faking confidence, what if you are never confident, like you fake it asking her to have coffee, fake it when you guys do get coffee, fake it when you guys study or something together, fake it when you guys go to the movies, like is it possible that I won't be able to get better?

I am working on myself also, my roommate is on the football team and he helped me get confidence to go to the gym, been working out everyday for a month and a half, it helped my confidence in everything but girls :
Honestly, if you keep getting new, progressive situations to fake confidence in, it's damn near impossible not to get more confident. Think about it - if you fake confidence all the way through multiple dates, then maybe even fake confidence all the way into the bedroom, all you have to do is look back and be like "damn, I just got laid!" or "damn, I was just on a date with a hot girl, and it went great!" Just remember, there's so much more to successful dating than just faking confidence, so even if she liked your confidence, the other 90% of the success was all you.
Shy guys are cute. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces