Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interstellar Loverboy

34,675 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
I got myself a customised MH doll too, though she still needs outfit and jewellery, but the person who customised it and I aren't skilled in those crafts. But she did awesome job with reroot and faceup. need just to find someone who I can work with of getting the dress at least

Blessed Explorer

5,375 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
She is gorgeous Finlet! Congratulations on finishing her!

Schrodingers ears and tail came in today, I just have no idea how to attach the magnets and such myself...probably will leave it to Finlets very experienced hands smile He got his eyes and clothes today!!! User Image User Image User Image

Smitten Duck

Hi guys! It's been awhile!
I have a question though. I want to know your opinion on recasts. I never really cared if people had them or not. I never was going to own one though, but never was against anyone who did. I ask because I have always seen a doll pop up when I search stuff but never was able to find out what it was. All I knew is I really wanted one. Well a couple days ago I set out to find out what it was and was excited when I did, but disappointed when I found out the rarity and how it would be impossible to ever own one. But there is a recast of her sold and I don't want to be tempted but I am.

So I want to know does anyone own or have owned a recast. And what are your thoughts about them.

Finlet: aww you finished her! She looks amazing! You are extremely talented!

Sparkly Genius

Yuki-Saurus
Hi guys! It's been awhile!
I have a question though. I want to know your opinion on recasts. I never really cared if people had them or not. I never was going to own one though, but never was against anyone who did. I ask because I have always seen a doll pop up when I search stuff but never was able to find out what it was. All I knew is I really wanted one. Well a couple days ago I set out to find out what it was and was excited when I did, but disappointed when I found out the rarity and how it would be impossible to ever own one. But there is a recast of her sold and I don't want to be tempted but I am.

So I want to know does anyone own or have owned a recast. And what are your thoughts about them.

Finlet: aww you finished her! She looks amazing! You are extremely talented!

Oh the old recast debate. I don't own any, but I don't have strong feelings for or against them. I see recasts for what they are - knock-offs. I think it's totally fine to own them (like owning a knock-off of a designer purse), but I view them as less valuable than an original, just like any other collector's item.

iymcool's Wife

Quotable Lunatic

Im the same way on the recast debate. Yes, im against stealing an artists work, to an extent. (I hate it when people steal my photos without permission.) But im not that judgemental. Some people can't afford to be in the hobby otherwise, so whatevs. If you got a recast, I'd probably say it was a pretty doll. If someone had a non recast, I would say the same thing. Doll is a doll. Haha.

Obsessive Cultist

I almost miss the days when recasts still had that kind of mythical unicorn status in the hobby. You might have heard about them, but it was more like a legend than an actual thing. Now you can't escape this - excuse my language - crap.

It's happened more than once lately that newbies in the hobby stumbled onto a doll-forum in my country, proudly posting their "ermahgerd super nice and cheap new bjd from ebay!!! totally iplehouse soom SD hybrid for only 150 dollars, yasssss" only to be disappointed when we had to point out to them that they were scammed. And that's really what it boils down to, even if you are aware you are buying a fake. You still pay a ridiculous amount of money for what isn't anything other than a cheap copy, sorry. I don't know about any of you, but I don't have 200 dollars just lying around, ready to dump it out the window. So when I decide to spend that kind of money, I sure as hell don't want some recaster profiting of it, who has done nothing to deserve that pay, besides copy somebody elses hard work.
I'd much rather save up for twice as long and support legitimate companies. That's why I normally don't buy more than around two dolls a year, if at all.

Like the doll I just received in the mail. I've wanted him for 5 years now. 5. Ever since I was lucky enough to find his twin brother secondhand in the marketplace for a really, really good price, I've always wanted a second. Never found him in the right resin color / resin type and then for a while I didn't find him at all, because he was temporarily unavailable from the company. Only now did I actually buy him, and well, what can I say? During those 5 years, the world didn't end because I didn't have him then.

Call me an evil elitist or whatever, but I'll never get behind this. I don't witchhunt recast owners and never have, but I'm also not gonna pretend that I don't care when asked. /endrant emotion_bigheart

Barraka1987's Princess

Fuzzy Friend

15,425 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
Time For Lady Dollie Spamz!

User Image
Evelyn
User Image
Ruth
User Image
Idrial

Barraka1987's Princess

Fuzzy Friend

15,425 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
XFateX
Im the same way on the recast debate. Yes, im against stealing an artists work, to an extent. (I hate it when people steal my photos without permission.) But im not that judgemental. Some people can't afford to be in the hobby otherwise, so whatevs. If you got a recast, I'd probably say it was a pretty doll. If someone had a non recast, I would say the same thing. Doll is a doll. Haha.
Same Here. You Should NEVER Steal. BUT. If You See A Reacast That Somone Owns, Well Of Course, Dont Be A Jerk, They Probly Worked Just As Hard To Make It Look All Nice And Dressed Up As You And Your BJD's.
While Some May Know A Lot About Recasts and Shun Them, Others Are Clueless Untill Its Too Late, And Sometimes, Maybe, Most The Time, They Still Love Them.
So, Yeah, Its A Touchy Subject. We Just Need To Have Some Respect Is All...
^w^

Smitten Duck

Thanks for replying everyone! I know it can be a touchy subject in the hobby, which is why I was afraid to ask it and admit I want one.
The doll I want is a Kinoko Juice Kiki. sometimes if you google pukis a picture of them pops up. I always saved their pictures since they were so cute and wanted one so bad. I finally decided to find out what they were.
The atrist of these dolls if you dont already know only sells to people living in Japan, and she only makes a couple at a time. In order to even buy one of her dolls you not only have to live in Japan but you enter a lottery where only a few people are chosen. If you are picked you spend about $900+ on this doll. Though that is a lot I would happily spend that to own one of her beautiful creations, but thats clearly not an option >.< Now every so rarely one is listed on a japanese auction site, but the last one ever listed sold for about $4000 I believe.
I swear I'm not trying to make excuses saying its ok for me to get a recasted doll, and I know it would also be just a knock off. I also am not saying I am for sure going to order one, but the temptation is there =(

Fashionable Gaian

I'm for art theft and recast is considered art. I won't hate or judge others who have bought one. I find it wrong for people to recast small companies or individual artist dolls because people in the hobby are too cheap to support a small company or a single artist that relies on sales. I know it sucks that artists are restricted to their country and it can be pricey to buy in the off market, but I still stand my ground on supporting individual artists or small companies.

Fluffy Prophet

@ Yuki: Gotta admit I have strong opinions against re-casting.... but BJD Confession Drama Bomb: I feel tempted too. I figure hmmm, I could afford 3x as many dolls if they were fake. lmao...
In the end though I consider how would I feel if someone did it to me, recast a doll I made, and considering the 100's of hours that goes into it, I would be soul-sick if someone made a quick buck off my hard labor. So I will never ever own a recast.
That being said there are no witch hunts around here. We pretty much accept everyone. This thread's cool that way.

@ halfling: aww cute! I think I'll have some free time after I get my daughter settled in to highschool. its a bit chaotic around here right now.

@ fuzzball: pretty dolls, Evelyn's outfit and Idrial's couch are really cool!

Barraka1987's Princess

Fuzzy Friend

15,425 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
Finlet
@ fuzzball: pretty dolls, Evelyn's outfit and Idrial's couch are really cool!

Thank You~

^w^

User Image
Evelyn And Idrial In Kimono And Yukata!
I Made Kimono, A Friend Made The Lovely Yukata!

User Image
My Shoe-Box Couch Done, And Covered With Awesomeness!
User Image
Jade Checking Out The Just Finished Couch.

Fluffy Prophet

I'm really excited on a non-doll note, I've been going through a lot of changes lately and I want to make the outside match my inside, so I'm having custom dreads made for me by twodots hair. They should be nice and tight and thin, not chunky felt-matted like a hobo.
they should be something like this but in light brown and green: facebook

Blessed Explorer

5,375 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Shattered Ciel

Grats! I can't wait to see you post pictures of them. :3 Tag me on FB if you remember when they arrive. biggrin heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff