Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fluffy Prophet

@ Bug Chan: welcome! it's nice to meet you

@ xKelpiex: thank you! It's not talent it's persistence, lol. really I start off so bad but I love learning new things so I keep at it.

We need more dollspam:
User Image
Dolly spam, you say?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Here's Nimu!

Here's Kit!

and here's August! :3 Hope you like!

Fluffy Prophet

Like.... I love emotion_bigheart

Sparkly Genius

I've been super busy with work, and I don't love my final submission for the DoA triathalon, but I won't have more time to work on it so it's the best I could do.
Here's a random pic of Kess I took earlier today:
I should have a bunch of free time in September. Hopefully I can convince myself to restock my Etsy.

Spoopy Bard

23,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Party Member 100
Bug Chan

Nimu's antlers (?) are awesome. heart

I'll share a photo too. ninja

User Image

Interstellar Loverboy

34,675 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
I'm getting my first BJD around january next year or so. and I wanted to ask, is it hard to sew clothes to BJDs, can you do it with sewing machine, are there any patterns?
I'm going to get the LAHOO from Dream of Doll, or other boydoll of same size if Lahoo is not available. Please quote this post when you answer so I can better keep up if someone actually replies. smile
Thanks in advance and I still love all the pics of dolls you have here, I can't wait to get the money to order my own.

iymcool's Wife

Quotable Lunatic

Intimate Rain
I'm getting my first BJD around january next year or so. and I wanted to ask, is it hard to sew clothes to BJDs, can you do it with sewing machine, are there any patterns?
I'm going to get the LAHOO from Dream of Doll, or other boydoll of same size if Lahoo is not available. Please quote this post when you answer so I can better keep up if someone actually replies. smile
Thanks in advance and I still love all the pics of dolls you have here, I can't wait to get the money to order my own.

Sewing machines aren't impossible to use for sewing BJD clothes. I actually sew a lot of my own outfits now because it's cheaper than buying outfits. [So poor.. ;-; ] I do hand sew, but it's time consuming, so I love to use the machine. But depending on how small the pieces you're working with is, you may end up needing to handsew.

Here are some outfits I have sewn for my dolls [all of which aren't that good and are very basic. xD *Very much picture overload*

The boy on the left, I made the outfit for in complete. Scarf, pants, vest, shirt. The girl doll I did not sew for.
User Image

Novas outfit is all made by me. Machine wise. the knit stretches in the machine which made it difficult to work with [the black part], but still managed
User Image

Soras outfit was made via machine. And our ownfi nlethere made his goggles!
User Image

My poor Kouji usually gets pretty basic clothing. IM ade his shirt here. But I was still getting used to sewing at this point. Basic shirts are the easiest since it's as simple as a trace and cut.
User Image

Oooh, how I still miss this doll... xD But I made this Link from Skyward sword outfit by hand. Boots and all. I hand sewn he little blue pieces on his shirt, and hand sewn the boots together. I wasg oing to sew the white on his red 'belt', but found fabric paint to be the better option. I wish I realized I should do that on the shirt, but... Oh well!
User Image
User Image

AND I suually, always, make costumes for my dolls for halloween. This year, my smaller bunch were the kingdom hearts trio. I made almost every piece to their outfits. [Minus shoes and wigs--except I made the bad Sora wig. As a quick fix. I forgot to buy one.]
User Image

note to self: Take more pictures of Hope.
He is my YoSD size boy and I hardly have pics of him. He's looking really sad rightno w.. But most [/all] of his clothes are handmade because.. Cheap, yes. But I hardly sew him anything. Here's a picture i found of him wearing an outfit I made, but he was off for faceup..
User Image

And here's a picture of Kouji in knit sweater my mother made for him!
User Image

'

*YOU can find many free patterns online or through den of angels to make for your dolls. I never use them though, and find it easiest to kind of go on your own once you're comfortable doing so. A lot of the time, I just look up tutorials on how to sew something, no matter what the size, and go from there.
My mother looks up patterns for knitting/crocheting on rivalry though. If it's something of interest for you, too.

many of the people here sew for their own dolls. :3 so if you need any tips, we're here~

Spoopy Bard

23,925 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Party Member 100
Intimate Rain

Adding to the post above ^

There's also a lot of pretty cheap patterns on etsy. Though I have personally found that it is easiest to find patterns for MSD and smaller sizes :/ (40-ish cm and below)

I haven't actually owned any of the Dream of Doll teens (I have two of the other sizes, though lol), so I couldn't say how close to 'standard' size they are. You may have to adapt what patterns you do fine.

*is another hand sewer* I never had much luck sewing by machine, but that's more because sewing machines hate me.

I've reshelled this doll since this photo, but his jacket remains the crowning achievement of my sewing escapades.

User Image

Fashionable Gaian

Intimate Rain

No and yes. 15cm + is generally easy to sew for. Anything under or smalls doll like puki's can be a challenge. There is patterns out there, mostly Minifees or 1/4 sizes, but you can scale them according to your doll size. Another option is, if you have human patterns or know someone that does, there is a tutorial on DoA that gives you step by step on how to scale patterns to basic doll sizes. I have tried this, and it turned out well.

Most part I make my own patterns as I go. Smallest I sewn for is 15cm.

User ImageUser Image

Interstellar Loverboy

34,675 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Thanks for tips! (and very lovely pics again and neat clothes).
I hate sewing by hand, since the outcome is really ugly.... I have tried to do some sewing stuff for my Monster High dolls, like pillows and seat cushions, but I always botch it when sewing by hand.

I want to make/get loads of sexy outfits for my Lahoo. I think it was around 64 or 74 cm doll... they had the size chart somewhere on the site, but can't remember it right now.

I might need ask my mom to help me when I visit her so I get different outfits for my boy. It's still long time away until I get it, so I think I might need to practise sewing.

I have one custom Monster high doll, and she needs jewellery and outfit, but since I can't sew, she's having a borrowed outfit until I can find someone who can make her outfit and that I would have money for it

Fluffy Prophet

Intimate Rain

bjd collectasy has a lot of tutorials and pattern-making. I used to also like BJD magazine online, but their DIY page isnt working for me right now, maybe its my browser settings. I like machine and hand sewing. In fact, hand sewing always comes out better for me, like this: User Image
that's yosd sized, hand sewn, no messy seams.

Fluffy Prophet

I made some progress on my ooak doll, *nervous* sweatdrop
I posted it in my deviantart since it's a naked doll, didn't want to offend anyone:
deviantart

iymcool's Wife

Quotable Lunatic

Wow, that's really intense Finlet.
And awesome. :3
She's turning out so great~

Sparkling Fairy

6,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Generous 100
Man, Fin, you're making some great progress!

@Intimate Rain: Grats! And like everyone else said, sewing isn't too bad for the dolls. Machine or hand, it's all good! Just practice. smile

Doll Spam time! I made some boots too. >//< I made a vest to match but I haven't taken photos yet.

User Image
User Image

Sparkly Genius

@Finlet - So cool! Love the pointed toes. Why are her legs all cut up? ;__;

@Julia - Love the boots biggrin So cuteee

So sad, Luts cancelled on Dollism. I was hoping to meet their reps and spend lots of money at their table! Oh well, guess I will just bring less money and keep saving for the future... lol
Speaking of Dollism, who else here is going?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff