Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you unbox your doll's?

Yes! >.> 0.69411764705882 69.4% [ 354 ]
Oh gosh no! Dx 0.15882352941176 15.9% [ 81 ]
That's why I buy two! :3 0.14705882352941 14.7% [ 75 ]
Total Votes:[ 510 ]

Queen Harley
I love how everybody is freaking out saying they're ripping off monster high. I read somebody who did a nice breakdown on the differences so people would stop bitching about it.

Of course they're ripping off Monster High. "Bratzillaz" wouldn't exist if MH did not. Bratzillaz (this name makes no sense) are trying to capitalize on the success of MH by releasing their own line of similarly themed dolls who share many similar characteristics, even the packaging a little on the nose. But how similar? Well not TOO similar. They don't want to get sued again. Close enough that the comparison will be made though. Hell they even did a startlingly similar music video to advertise the dolls.

I don't see a reason to get up in arms about it. They're not going to sell as well and they're a little late to the party. If these were better designed dolls released earlier in the year during the height of the Monster High dry spell... As it is, they can join the rest of the pile of "not good enoughs."

Monster High is, at the same time, not a wholly original concept either. There have been an endless string of teen-aged movie monsters ranging from films like My Best Friend is Vampire to Teen Wolf, and half the tropes of Monster High can be found in Sabrina the Teenaged Witch. Hot Topic had the Living Dead Dolls and Bleeding Edge Goths. Books, comics, games, films, toys.

The difference is Monster High took the concept and redid it exceedingly well for an audience largely un-targeted for this sort of thing before, and expanded upon it in interesting ways. Frankie and Draculaura are well done riffs of an idea people have done a hundred times. Caterine DeMew is a brilliant expansion of that idea. Bratzillaz seems to be Monster High by way of Harry Potter, which is too much derivative mess in one pile for me to care.

PS: Happy 200 pages! 4laugh
It's worth noting that the Monster High dolls are repurposes of a body designed for when Mattel was going to take over the Bratz brand. When that didn't happen, they found a new use for it. Trading off each other's ideas is not unknown in any artistic industry.

Aged Conventioneer

11,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
Pnyuu
Queen Harley
Pnyuu
emotion_facepalm

guys I just saw bratzillaz for the first time

I love how everybody is freaking out saying they're ripping off monster high. I read somebody who did a nice breakdown on the differences so people would stop bitching about it.

Though, apparently they are bringing out bratzilla fashion packs so since Bratz clothing fits MH, people can bypass buying the bratzilla dolls and just buy the clothes. Also, apparently they actually made it so the shoes can be taken off, instead of pegs at the ankle like the old dolls.

they sure as heck look like copies to me! I saw them next to the monster high dolls and was just like -----& O.O
look at them!! ball joints! It's the joints that took the cake for me because I have never seen a Bratz doll with ball joints up until now. I can't really say anything about the fashion part because bratz dolls have always been fashionable. can I have a link to the person's blog that you were talking about?

Actually, bratz have had Ball joints for awhile. I found a 10th anniversary one that came out in 2010 that has ball joints. Though they don't have wrist joints. It's somewhere in the monster high tag on tumblr. I can find it later.

Anyway, MGA can try, but Mattel hit it out of the ballpark with Monster High. Pretty much, Mattel went after MGA way back when, and even though they lost their lawsuit, they just ran down MGA with Monster High. They don't need to sue MGA, they've already won.

Distinct Genius

Happy 200 pages, Monster High Fans!
Yeah, happy page count. If you're into that sort of validation. stare

Beloved Friend

'Appy 200 pages! In dragon pages, that's only 20. 3nodding
I don't know what am I doing biggrin

Desirable Bloodsucker

Draconia St George
'Appy 200 pages! In dragon pages, that's only 20. 3nodding

eh, its only two in demon... Not amused

Romantic Lunatic

Heeh, is it funny that when I first started collecting them, I thought MH was the same company as Bratz. I even likened them to 'Monster Bratz'.
Now that I'm more versed on it I laugh at that though.

Now, want a line that just came out thats fun and not copying off of MH? La Dee Da. I'm looving them.

Aged Conventioneer

11,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
I think Justice stores are taking lesson from ebay sellers on pricing.

$32 for the basics and $24 for Roller Maze is kind of not acceptable for a chain store. I suppose it's still better then ebay scalpers but seriously man.

Hygienic Exhibitionist

10,100 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
Justice waaaaaaaaay overprices them.
I went in one time because my Justice was closing and they were 20% off, but even with a discount it was more than if I had bought it at any other store. That's just silly.

About the Bratzillas though, nothing is ever really original, so I'm not particularly bothered by them. That being said, I don't want any of those dolls, just their clothes so if outfit packs are coming out then I'm in xD

Aged Conventioneer

11,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
Chamomile Catastrophe
Justice waaaaaaaaay overprices them.
I went in one time because my Justice was closing and they were 20% off, but even with a discount it was more than if I had bought it at any other store. That's just silly.

About the Bratzillas though, nothing is ever really original, so I'm not particularly bothered by them. That being said, I don't want any of those dolls, just their clothes so if outfit packs are coming out then I'm in xD

Yeah, somebody pointed out to me that Justice has 40% coupons floating around pretty often. Which would knock them back down to about normal price.

Like I said, I'm not sweating the Bratzilla. If anything, it's a good chance when they're on sale or the fashion packs come out, more cute clothing for my MH dolls. Though I need to go hunt for the Fearleading squad set at Toys'r'us, I really want the Ghoulia and I have a girl offering to buy the Draculaura off of me since I only want Ghoulia. Now I just need to get a buyer for Cleo and I'll be set.
I passed by Justice Twice this week and neer thought to look their for dolls. sweatdrop I thought it was just a clothing store. I wonder if the dolls in the stare are up to date or not. blaugh

But YAY on 200th PAGE!! whee heart

Receiver

You guys are talking about that children's clothing store? O- o
we have no toys in thete. But then again I have only seen that place in our local mall

Sparkly Kitten

53,900 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
I thought discovery was the clothing store

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers