Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've watched Pirates 4 for the third time last night, and now I feel that I can post a pretty good review of it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.This fourth installment of Pirates of the Caribbean was nothing less than entertaining, as we follow the infamous Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) on his never ending quest to gain eternal youth/immortality.
When we last left Sparrow (Depp), at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean 3, we left Sparrow where we first found him in the first movie- sailing on a dingy with nothing but himself, the sea, and rum for company. Only this time, he is also accompanied with a map that will lead him toward the Spanish quarter, with the Fountain of Youth as his destination.
The movie begins in the middle of the ocean with a small sailor ship. The sailors abord find a man, presumedly dead, in their fishing net clutching a mysterious book. When they try to pry the book from his hands, the presumed to be dead man snaps into conciousness.
The scene cuts to a corridor of a castle in Cadiz, Spain where the old man is brought before the Spanish King (Óscar Jaenada). The man, still clutching the book, hands over the book to Jaenada. The book is all of the research and findings from one Ponce De Leon for the Fountain of Youth. Upon being asked when he can sail, the king's Naval Captian (Juan Carlos Vellido) answers, in a to-die-for spanish accent, "With the tide."
We meet Jack once again in a courtroom in London, England where Joshamy Gibbs (Kevin McNally) is on trial- being accused of one Jack Sparrow. Sparrow shows up in the courtroom as the judge (that we later found out Sparrow tied him up and locked him in a closet) and some how keeps his First Mate Gibbs from being sentanced to hanging. As Gibbs is being put into a carriage to be sent to the prision, Jack pays off the driver, another pirate, to take them just outside of London.
In the carriage, we find out that someone posing as Jack is in London. And he has a ship, and is looking for a crew. "I am in need of a ship" Jack says to Gibbs. The carriage stops and they come to find that they have been tricked, and are now in the courtyard of Prime Minister Henry Pelham (Roger Allam). The pirate that Jack paid off is now paid off by the King's Men. The scene ends with Jack telling Gibbs that this was "not all part of the plan."
Jack is now in a dining hall, chained to a chair. He surveys the room. Depp does a wonderful job of showing that his character is devising an extravagant plan of escape. Can you expect anything less from Captian Jack Sparrow? Upon meeting the Prime Minister, Jack manages to have his shackles removed, then asks for a ship and a crew to accomany him to the Fountain of Youth. "I will also provide for you, a captian." He says as he gestures to the opening doors, where a man with a wooden leg walks through. The wooden leg belongs to none other than Hector Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), who, last we knew, had the Pearl.
Upon being asked what happened to Jack's Pearl, Barbossa answers that the ship was sunk.
"If that ship were sunk properly," Jack says, venomously, "You'd be sunk with it." Shortly after that exchange, Jack begins his escape display.
Of course, his escape is nothing less than magnificent and histarcial, and through a series of epic maneuvers Jack is reunited again with Captain Teague (Keith Richards), Jack's dad.
In the Tavern, Jack is given the directions of a profane ritual that must be performed at the Fountain of Youth, and given the direction of the man who is posing to be him.
In the room, he battles the imposter, till we find out that the imposter is a woman by the name of Angelica (Penelope Cruz), who we find out had a relationship with Jack somewhere between the end of the third movie and the beginning of the fourth. They become trapped and Jack says to Angelica "Unlike those who pretend to be, but in fact can never hold a candle to, I am Captain Jack Sparrow." Then escapes the way we love him to.
After being knocked out, Jack finds himself on a ship. Later he finds out that the ship he is now aboard is Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship notoriously belonging to Captain Edward Teach, aka, Blackbeard (Ian MacShane).
There is a Missionary (Sam Claflin) onboard the Revenge, whom we find out was saved by Blackbeard's first mate, his daugther, the one and only Angelica keeps around because she hopes to save her father's soul. She wants to find the Fountain of Youth, not for herself, but for her father, who's soul, she fears, is beyond saving and will go to hell upon death, which, according to a profecy by the Quartermaster (Ian Mercer) will happen within a fortnight.
The story now goes through a series of epic scenes and battles and between different ships (Hispanic, English and the Revenge)
White Camp Bay is where we find everyone going to, in search of a Mermaid (Astrid Berges-Frisbey) for her tear, which is part of the "Profane Ritual" that must take place before the Fountain. They catch a Mermaid who was saving the Missionary, who's name is Phillip, and carry her around in a glass coffin. Through the travels, and because of little acts that people except from a genuine God fearing christian like Phillip, the Mermaid, whose name given to her by Phillip is Syrena, and Phillip fall in love.
She doesn't give them a tear for her family who've been tied up and died in the sun, So they kill Phillip, and she still doesn't cry. She does cry, however, when we find that he isn't really dead, and he comes back to her.
Meanwhile Jack and Barbossa meet again in the ship of Ponce De Leon looking for two silver challeses, which are also needed for the Ritual at the Fountain. They find out that the Spaniards have already obtained the Challises and now they must go to retreve them.
Jack needs the Challises, but Barbossa only wants revenge for the Pearl and his leg. Both were taken from him by Blackbeard.
Jack meets up with Blackbeard again and hands over the challises to Blackbeard and then leads them straight to the fountain. In the Temple of the Fountain, Barbossa meets them and a battle ensues. While the battle happens the Spaniards show up. We find out in this moment that the Spaniards never wanted to find the fountian for potential immortality, but to destroy it on the grounds that "Only God can grant imortal life."
Phillip escapes, and frees Syrena. Syrena swims away and hands the now broken Challises to Jack, telling him "Do not waste my tear." And goes back to Phillip. Jack tricks Angelica and Blackbeard, who have both been stabbed by Barbossa's poisened sword, to unknowningly grant Angelica life when they thought it was Blackbeard who's life they saved.
The movie ends with Barbossa, now having the Revenge (a play on words) which he so desired, renounces his title under the Kings clemency and is handed his big feathery hat back.
Jack leaves Angelica on an island with a one shot pistol and rejoins Gibbs, whos mission was to find the Pearl in a bottle which was on board the Revenge, (because apperently Blackbeard kept the ships in a bottle as trophies) and we leave them discussing how to get the Pearl out of the bottle.
After the credits, we see a scene where a Voodoo doll of Jack washes up on shore to Angelica. The screne blacks out with a sinister smile on her face.

The movie was nothing less than pleasing to me, who is a thorough pirate lover/wannabe. I didn't like that they didn't reference any of the previous movies at all in this one. All except for the Map that Jack stole form Barbossa at the end of the third movie was all but non existant. But other than that, the movie gained my full approval, and I'm very picky when it comes to my pirates, as I have studied and been obsessed with them since I was a young girl.
There are rumors going around about a fith movie, and I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I do have to agree that the way that it ended, there's absolutely now way that they could not have a fifth one, but I would be just fine without one. This rumored 5th movie is rumored to bring back our favorite romance from this saga- William and Elizabeth Turner (Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly) We'll have to see.

As for a rating for this 4th installment of the Pirates movies:
biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
I give it a Four out of Five stars (Well in this case, smiley faces) for entertainment, but I wouldn't recommend it for children, and not for those with potential motion sickness to see it in theatres.

3,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Signature Look 250
....No Bel-air roll?

Why is this thread in this board, then? XD

silent sekurai's Compadre

Inquisitor

I was expecting Bel-air or walk the dinosaur, but seriously..

what is this? I don't even..

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
I saw it it was pretty good. the mermaids were just plain creepy

Mega Genius

11,750 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
tl;dr

Did like the movie though.
VampireQueen1389
tl;dr

I did like the movie. Alot. I absolutely enjoyed it, actually.
I've been obsessed with pirates since I was a really little girl. Muppet Treasure Island was my first pirate movie, and after riding the POTC ride at Disney World, I was eternally hooked. So saying that I absolutely enjoyed this movie means something.
And the thing that marvles me the most is how accurate they are with the folklore and pirate legends. Its amazing.

Mega Genius

11,750 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
ThatTrumpetPlayer
VampireQueen1389
tl;dr

I've been obsessed with pirates since I was a really little girl. Muppet Treasure Island was my first pirate movie, and after riding the POTC ride at Disney World, I was eternally hooked. So saying that I absolutely enjoyed this movie means something.
And the thing that marvles me the most is how accurate they are with the folklore and pirate legends. Its amazing.

Yeah, the movie was actually a lot better then I thought it would be, sorry about not really reading your review, I tend to go cross eyed when faced with a giant block of text XD.

I've been in love with the Pirates ride as well, though I was upset when they decided to re-do it and add Barbosa and Jack :/
VampireQueen1389
ThatTrumpetPlayer
VampireQueen1389
tl;dr

Yeah, the movie was actually a lot better then I thought it would be, sorry about not really reading your review, I tend to go cross eyed when faced with a giant block of text XD.

I've been in love with the Pirates ride as well, though I was upset when they decided to re-do it and add Barbosa and Jack :/

Lol, I understand. xD I figured it might not be read by anyone except the people who asked me to write the review. So I'm happy that I got at least a couple of sincere feedback.
Yeahh, I rode the ride after they remade it and I was like .>.< Really?! While I do love Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush, the movie was totally based of that ride. I didn't see a need for the ride to become based off the movie.
nerih

Yeahh, thats pretty much why I wouldn't want kids to see it. My neice loves them because of The Little Mermaid. She'd have nightmares for months if she saw that movie. Hahaha.

Mega Genius

11,750 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
ThatTrumpetPlayer
VampireQueen1389
ThatTrumpetPlayer
VampireQueen1389
tl;dr

Lol, I understand. xD I figured it might not be read by anyone except the people who asked me to write the review. So I'm happy that I got at least a couple of sincere feedback.
Yeahh, I rode the ride after they remade it and I was like .>.< Really?! While I do love Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush, the movie was totally based of that ride. I didn't see a need for the ride to become based off the movie.

Exactly, I pitty kids who grow up thinking that the movie came before the ride :/
i watched it and i loved it (johnny depp is dead sexy even as captain jack razz ) but i think they should've done more with serena (the mermaid) and the priest dude :> hopefully in the next movie xD heart

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
ThatTrumpetPlayer
nerih

Yeahh, thats pretty much why I wouldn't want kids to see it. My neice loves them because of The Little Mermaid. She'd have nightmares for months if she saw that movie. Hahaha.

good Idea. my friend had nightmares
nerih
ThatTrumpetPlayer
nerih

good Idea. my friend had nightmares

Hahaha. I'm sorry for your friend. I didn't have nightmares. They didn't really scare me all that badly, Not nearly enough to have nightmares. Haha.
izzyfaust
i watched it and i loved it (johnny depp is dead sexy even as captain jack razz ) but i think they should've done more with serena (the mermaid) and the priest dude :> hopefully in the next movie xD heart

I do agree with you. Johnny Depp is one of the sexiest men alive, I don't care how old he is. xD Hehee
VampireQueen1389
ThatTrumpetPlayer
VampireQueen1389
ThatTrumpetPlayer
VampireQueen1389
tl;dr

Exactly, I pitty kids who grow up thinking that the movie came before the ride :/

Yeahh, Luckily for anyone under the age of like 13 thats anywhere close to related to me, or even knows me, they wont ever have that problem. xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff