Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am ready to dedicate my life to being an artist. I eventually want to go into comics. Pretend I have no experience whatsoever. Where should I begin?

(Sorry for the short post, but I felt a wall of text was not needed.)
dont get married and dont have kids

Benevolent Cat

15,325 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gaian 50
Begin with drawing all sorts of things from observation.

Tipsy Phantom

7,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Signature Look 250
Attend a college (not necessarily an art school) that has a good art program (reviews made by students) for the field that would apply to what you want to do that is also reasonable for your financial situation. If you feel responsible enough to properly deal with financial aid/student loans then consider the possibility of attending a highly reviewed art school. (REMINDER: art school is extremely expensive.) And don't whine and cry about your life drawing classes because you think they're boring, THEY'RE GOOD FOR YOU!

I find going to college an easier experience than learning everything on your own because most professors have at least some knowledge or experience in what you want to do and how to get there. Hope this helps. :3
Jhun the Black

I laughed when I saw this, I used to think the same way. But Scott McCloud disproves this theory and I'm supremely happy to be in a relationship with someone that loves helping me out at conventions and keeping me organized.

Having a significant other, best friend, partner, workslave is pretty essential to comics actually. If you're going to go to a convention alone, you're going to have a piss poor time, and in comics, you really do need to attend conventions.

That said, if you knew nothing about comics, you ought to take several trips to libraries and bookstores and read up. Anything, everything. Try to disassemble comics. What makes them work, what doesn't. Why does X story appeal to you, but Y story doesn't?

Observe story everywhere. The person walking down the street. The latest movie you watched on Netflix or Hulu. The last song you listened to. Everywhere is story.

Buy Robert McKee's 'Story' and read it back to front, and front to back.

Buy Panel Discussions. Read it back to front, front to back...even sideways.

Buy Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics. If you have a chance to go listen to him, do so.

Understand that comics aren't just what you read at the bookstores, but also how events unfold before you. Comics are panels of time moving forward.

Draw and write by stream of consciousness first, then find the main points of the story within that, refine from there.

Be open. Listen to what folks have to say, even if you may not agree with it, because the key to being a good artist and writer is observing and listening.

Be yourself. Tell the stories you want to tell, not stories you think will do well.

Realize that even your failures are triumphs in story, because failures teach us what not to do.

And have faith in yourself. You will stumble, you will fall, and if you have the drive and the passion, you will get up, dust yourself off, and try again.

Perfect Cutie-Pie

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Yay for all the Scott McCloud love! They are all right. That book is a must-own.

I guess the advice around here always comes back to the same thing, so excuse me if you've heard this before: just draw from life until your hand falls off, then draw from life some more. That is the biggest part of becoming an artists, even if your end goal is to be a cartoonist/comic artist.
If you're going into comics, you might think that you have to stylize your work a lot, but don't.
Start by drawing things and people from life, realistically. Draw what you see, not what you think something looks like. Observe anatomy and proportions everywhere. Later when you are experienced at that, then you can begin stylizing your artwork, drawing from what you already know from drawing realistically.

This thread explains the idea in more depth.

Perfect Cutie-Pie

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Super Weeaboo
If you're going into comics, you might think that you have to stylize your work a lot, but don't.
Start by drawing things and people from life, realistically. Draw what you see, not what you think something looks like. Observe anatomy and proportions everywhere. Later when you are experienced at that, then you can begin stylizing your artwork, drawing from what you already know from drawing realistically.

This thread explains the idea in more depth.
Yes! I used to stress out about figuring out what my "style" would be, but then I had some amazing teachers smack me upside the head and tell me that your style will naturally evolve from your studies. Just keep drawing from life.

I say this as a pop surrealist whose bread and butter is painting strange bunny characters.

Pumpkin

Draw with a lot of effort first.
Then go on to being the best??

8,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Get yourself a pencil. Get yourself some paper. Start drawing. Simple.
Jhun the Black

But who will pay the bills?

:O

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
First, you give me your credit card number... just kidding.

I'd say life drawing is definitely essential, but you also have to study more than that; things like pacing and layout are very important too. Definitely give "Understanding Comics" a good read.
KayJKay
Jhun the Black

I laughed when I saw this, I used to think the same way. But Scott McCloud disproves this theory and I'm supremely happy to be in a relationship with someone that loves helping me out at conventions and keeping me organized.

Having a significant other, best friend, partner, workslave is pretty essential to comics actually. If you're going to go to a convention alone, you're going to have a piss poor time, and in comics, you really do need to attend conventions.

That said, if you knew nothing about comics, you ought to take several trips to libraries and bookstores and read up. Anything, everything. Try to disassemble comics. What makes them work, what doesn't. Why does X story appeal to you, but Y story doesn't?

Observe story everywhere. The person walking down the street. The latest movie you watched on Netflix or Hulu. The last song you listened to. Everywhere is story.

Buy Robert McKee's 'Story' and read it back to front, and front to back.

Buy Panel Discussions. Read it back to front, front to back...even sideways.

Buy Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics. If you have a chance to go listen to him, do so.

Understand that comics aren't just what you read at the bookstores, but also how events unfold before you. Comics are panels of time moving forward.

Draw and write by stream of consciousness first, then find the main points of the story within that, refine from there.

Be open. Listen to what folks have to say, even if you may not agree with it, because the key to being a good artist and writer is observing and listening.

Be yourself. Tell the stories you want to tell, not stories you think will do well.

Realize that even your failures are triumphs in story, because failures teach us what not to do.

And have faith in yourself. You will stumble, you will fall, and if you have the drive and the passion, you will get up, dust yourself off, and try again.

I really only meant the kids part. save some money, live for yourself.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
This might not be practical artist-living advice, but if you're the kind of person who's aspiring for greatness, here's some observations.

Be curious about as many things as possible. Keep an open mind, and take every class that you feel might benefit you, whether it's intellectually stimulating or teaching you usable techniques. Broaden your perspective and work with many touchstones to keep your ideas and work fresh and innovative. I've seen too many comic artists fall into mediocrity because they don't like looking beyond their little box, or challenging themselves. "I'm going to draw fantasy! And I'm going to draw it like Franzetta!" Please. Pretty much every generic fantasy artist under the sun wants to be like Franzetta. This is when the death of a genre happens.

Put it this way, comics and sequential art have been around since the Assyrians. What can you bring to the table?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff