Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kendaroo
Talent is a head start.

Tortoise and the Hare.

This explanation needs no more unnecessary long rambling. I think this sums it up.

agreed

Relentless Bibliophile

12,865 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Waffles! 25
Kendaroo
Talent is a head start.

Tortoise and the Hare.

This explanation needs no more unnecessary long rambling. I think this sums it up.

Haha, I hope that isn't an assesment of my original post. I guess some people are more long winded than others, lol.
Freakconformist
Kendaroo
Talent is a head start.

Tortoise and the Hare.

Haha, I hope that isn't an assesment of my original post. I guess some people are more long winded than others, lol.

Oh haha! No! Not at all. Just that determination to reach the goal and persistence will pass any natural ability. You weren't all that into it, your brother was.
A bit of both with the slant more toward hard work.

I've seen a few people in my life who tried their damnedest but they never made it to a very high level. On the other hand you can't skate by on talent alone, you need to work hard to refine that talent.

Gracious Lover

6,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
I'd say that a talent for something only gets you so far before you absolutely need the hard work.
And by this I don't mean that people shouldn't put hard work into something at the start, but I'm just saying that the talent alone can only get someone so far.

Relentless Bibliophile

12,865 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Waffles! 25
There seems to be a consencus:

Talent is all fine and good, but to really get ahead you need to work hard.
Miri-love
Freakconformist
I have heard what your professor said before, Miri, it's very true. I know you've always accept critique when I give them to you, to me, that's a sign of somebody who want to improve.

Thanks for saying so 3nodding I am trying hard to really take my critiques to heart and work to improve. 3nodding
Yeah. I wanna be like this. A self starter. People always told me I had raw talent, and it's made me lazy. I need to study harder instead of doing things like not working hard or listening to people who are trying to be supportive but really no nothing about art. I think I phrased that awkwardly... not sure.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Talent is like stone soup. If you ever heard the story about stone soup, a starving man started a pot of water with a stone over the fire claiming it was a magical stone and would make a pot of soup. He offered to share if everyone else contributed one thing like carrots, onions etc. If you imagine the contributions as hard work you have it. Without the hard work there's nothing to show for it.
Hard work all the way.

In order to become an artist you have to WANT to become one BADLY. If you go about it half-assed, you're not going to want to do all the hard-work required.
"Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work..."
— Albert Einstein

While hard work is definitely the main reason for success, I had seen people who had worked so hard but have zero talent and they are making very little progress.

Think of it this way, if you compare talent as a GPS, and hard work as the engine. Without the first, you just going around lost or in circles. Without the engine, you can be facing the right direction and looking at your goal, but not getting any closer.

Now with the engine and if you have a great sense of direction, you can find the shortest way and reach your goal faster. And on the other hand, if both person have the same sense of direction, the one with better engine will definitely reach the goal faster.

I believe working hard and not having much talent will get you in the door for being a professional artist. I've seen it happen a lot.

Working hard and being talented will lead you to being a great professional artist.

Even if you're extremely talented, no one gives a crap until you really show them.

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
I've gotten over it over and over again

Hard work.

I wish I'd known that before, though. I was set thinking that I couldn't ever become an artist because I wasn't good at it. I didn't think there was a way to improve, other than just getting older. (Mommy draws better than I do and mommy is older so when I grow up like mommy I will be a better artist!!!!!!).

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 9mil/240+ Mil----User Image
Aellos
'Talent' is simply an increased ability to observe and comprehend what you are observing.
This.

I think some people have strange ideas about talent. A lot of people who aren't artistic or who want to be artistic but are improving very slowly like to believe that being a good artist is something you are born with. This makes them feel better about their own artistic abilities (or lack thereof) because then they feel they can use that to excuse their lack of effort and justify their lack of improvement ("I wasn't born talented so of course I'll never be as good as such-and-such" ). I believe that talent is more of a predisposition that allows you to improve faster or grasp ideas/concepts more quickly in a given field. For art, it mostly comes down to the ability to observe, and understand what you're observing. Like others have been saying though, it's the hard work, the dedication, the willingness to learn, and the drive to improve that really make a good artist. Anyone can learn to observe, and because of this, anyone can learn to draw. It's just that not everyone wants to learn to draw - not everyone has that artistic inclination, and not everyone is interested in art. Even those that want to learn don't always have a strong enough "want" to actually apply themselves and excel.

So, ultimately, hard work and dedication trumps talent. You can become a great artist with just hard work and dedication. Having "talent" might enable you to get to that point more quickly, but it is not absolutely necessary. Talent on its own, however, will not get you anywhere.

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Hard work. The reasons why have already been stated. I'm not sure I believe in "talent," and even if some people do have it, not having it doesn't make somebody incapable of learning. I refuse to believe that somebody can practice and learn and study properly and not get any better. Anybody who says that is being lazy.
Art is learned, not some magical, whimsical thing that comes to you in your sleep.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff