Epic ending 0.92857142857143 92.9% [ 39 ]
Total Votes:[ 42 ]
1 2 >

5,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Which do you guys want more?
A really awesome manga that goes on forever and never has an ending?
Or have an ending so wonderful no one will ever forget it?

Cause I know I'm sad when I finish a good manga, and it leaves me wanting more.
But then sometimes I wish it would just go on forever and ever and ever
Endings are good because it brings conclusion to the story. If it goes on to long, you run the risk of the story getting dull, drawn out, loosing its appeal, or people even just growing out of it. While its great when you get continuations of good stories that have ended, they're great, I think, because they ended, and told us their story.

Liberal Smoker

5,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Definately prefer there being an ending.
If it gets to the point where you have a fanbase that wants to see more, or you yourself just want to explore your characters a little more, there's always little side storys you can make.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
All good things must come to an end.

Ending a story doesn't always have to mean that you're done with the characters, however. They may have another story to tell eventually.

But stories that go on forever tend to become stale and result in increasingly transparent plot devices.

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
i always give up on forever and a day stories. it doesn't matter how much i love them. either i will get bored, or i will get paranoid and quit, expecting an imminent sucky turn. to stick with a story, i need to feel like it's working towards something, going some place. the minute that goes away, i stop reading.

5,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Yeah... I like this advice guys. But what about how long it is? Do you want it really really long? Like, more than 30 volumes?
I used to think that stories should be as long as they needed to be. After learning bits and pieces about writing and storytelling, and discovering that editing is actually extremely important, I'm more of the opinion that stories should be as short as they need to be.

A longer story does not automatically make a better story.

Desirable Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
A good ending, or you'll end up with s**t like Naruto, Bleach or those never ending superhero stories.

So yeah... an end you'll remember.
The length really depends on the story you're telling. Some things work out pretty well short, while others have a need to be kind of long to get everything in and done well.

Its really a balance between pacing and storytelling. The only way to really tell how long a story is going to be is once you have some kind of an outline going with what all you want to do.

Shadowy Phantom

Definitely ending. It doesn't have to be epic, it just has to be good - it should flow logically from the rest of the story and wrap everything up in a satisfying way. And "satisfying" doesn't have to mean "happy and all the popular pairings get together."

When a story ends, it's sometimes because it was cancelled or the author lost steam. This isn't that common in manga, but it does happen. Maybe you read some of those.
In most cases, when a story ends, it's because there is no more story to tell! If they went on, it wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting as the original story.

The stories that go on forever that you've seen are in most cases the result of one of two things:
1. The story proved so popular that the editors/authors didn't want it to end so they could milk more money from the fans. This is very common in manga (for example, Bleach). Similar forces are at work in many superhero comics.
2. The author was influenced by stories affected by #1 but didn't realize that these were negative things and imitates them as if they're intentional. This is more common in webcomics.

Always, always have an ending in mind when you start a comic. You might go another way later, but even then, know your ending. Even if it changes.

It is better to finish a story and leave the readers wanting more than go on forever and lose their interest, or, even worse, not finish at all. Remember, comics are a lot of work. If you want to make a good one, be prepared to spend hours writing it, and significant time on the artwork (after all, what's a good story if the art doesn't draw anyone into reading it?). The longer your story is, the longer it'll take to draw it, the higher the chance of you not finishing is. Even pros lose steam.
I like episodic adventures. Sandman is a fabulous example of this. Or think of the Harry Potter booksm or the Discworld series.

The characters go on one adventure, they wrap up that adventure. They go on another adventure, they wrap up that one. There can be some over arching plots that carry through across, but overall each adventure can stand alone.

8,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
typical story has a beginning that introduces characters and explains when, where, and whats going on and leads into a chain of events that is a struggle/adventure that must be overcome.
You should never go longer than what it takes to finish that struggle, you may make it more complex and even have a few twist but never draw it out so long that it becomes a cliche and loses appeal. Take for instance the manga/anime for Detective Conan, they have a main story they tend to totally ignore and do these mysteries that he solves and we totally forgot what the main plot was. Another good example of what not to do was Inuyasha, my god that carried on so long that the writters got bored of it, then when they did decide to finish it the last 20 episodes felt rushed because they got straight to the point. A good examples are Martian Successor Nadesico which introduced everyone and got to the plot which was easy to understand, kept you emotionally involved, and then gave you the twist which made you wanna know more. Just as you see the truth they keep the story going with information that was key to the plot and then a good epic ending that left people wanting more. which is what a good manga/anime should be. You can always do series which doesn't continue a story but shows you a completely NEW storyline/Arc that either has the same characters OR takes place in the same town/universe and has references and crossovers from that first anime (people mess themselves when they see crossovers of their favorite characters from another story).

but yes short answer... epic ending is always best, don't make another Dragonball Z/GT.
I think 10-20 Volumes max would be okay...
Series' like Inu-Yasha, Ranma 1/2 and Other SUPER long titles just make me sad and bored.
I usually stop reading around Volume 12. and then wait for the series to END; and then just read the ENDING....
That's just me though.
Air Gear is getting to be one of those series. And I've already stopped reading Naruto.
Just don't have an Ending like XXX Holic or something...
Making everyone wait over 200 chapters for a crappy thing like that... Which I've now come to EXPECT with stupidly long series' sad

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
20 volumes tops.
The reason why finished series make you want more is because they were nicely concluded, at least most of the time and give the reader enough place to imagine.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Definitely end it, or at least have a planned ending in mind. There WILL be a point where you milked your story for all its worth and the ending usually is unsatisfying or incoherent when you try to end it. And remember, just because you ended your story doesn't mean it's the end for all your characters.

I honestly feel the ending is perhaps the single most important aspect of storytelling. It leaves the reader with a good impression or bad impression of your story.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff