Welcome to Gaia! ::

Codger

Two things all writers get wrong in early drafts, though keep in mind there are degrees to the issues raised here, and practice will mitigate much of it.

Codger

Fantastic source for news on medieval times, ranging from the dark ages to the Renaissance.

Codger

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
http://pred-ed.com/

Preditors and Editors is a list of different publishers, editors, agents, etcetc connected to writing, with warnings about the bad ones. It's an impressive collection of reviews and warnings, and they've been running over 15 years. If you're looking at a person or group connected to the writing world, but are unsure about how they perform, check this out.

Codger

Codger

Codger

Need a creative boost? Take a walk.

Codger

Codger

Added the writing page of Elfwood's FARP to the off-site links.

Codger

Need help with grammar, punctuation, structure, wording, or formatting? The grammar and usage tool kit on Writer's Relief likely has what you need.

Interesting Autobiographer

11,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Generous 100
This is a great page

Codger

Codger

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I would like to add a book recommendation to the list: Self-Editing for Fiction Writers. It's not a gigantic book, but it was written by two editors aiming to give writers an idea on how to improve their own works and make them more palatable. The first chapter is all about Showing versus Telling, and is probably one of the best resources I've seen that covers this.

Each chapter has exercises at the end, designed to help you pick out what is being done poorly, and asking you to attempt to correct it. It's a good read.

The amazon link for the book may be found here.

Codger

terradi
I would like to add a book recommendation to the list: Self-Editing for Fiction Writers. It's not a gigantic book, but it was written by two editors aiming to give writers an idea on how to improve their own works and make them more palatable. The first chapter is all about Showing versus Telling, and is probably one of the best resources I've seen that covers this.

Each chapter has exercises at the end, designed to help you pick out what is being done poorly, and asking you to attempt to correct it. It's a good read.

The amazon link for the book may be found here.

A much excellent addition, yes. Many thanks for pointing it out. biggrin *needs to pay more attention to the link list*

------

Stages of grief in an easily understood chart. Keep in mind this is a very basic summary arc, so there will be much more nuance in realistic characters.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff