Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Hi Everybody!

For a while now I've been wanting to buy myself a tablet so that I can upgrade myself from just pencil-and-paper art to digital. However, the laptop that I currently own is small (a Lenovo Idea Pad, to be precise) and it doesn't have a disc drive.
The tablet I've had my eye on is the Wacom Bamboo Pen as it is cheap and I'm not in a good spot financially right now, but one of the requirements is that my computer has a disc drive. Therefore, I have the following questions:

1) Is the CD included really necessary, or does it just have software I can (legally, please) download off the internet somewhere or extra stuff that doesn't absolutely have to be included?

2) If not, is there another tablet of the same price and quality that I can get that doesn't require a CD?

3) As a last resort, would it be possible to set it up on another computer somewhere else that does have a disc drive, and then plug the tablet back into my laptop/transport the files on a USB drive or something and have it work okay?

I don't expect an answer right away or that anyone can answer all three, but any and all help would be nice!

Blessed Visionary

10,325 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I have wacom intuos, used to have a bamboo.

All I had to do is plug in my hardware, the driver should install automatically, if not you can download it off the wacom site.
Don't remember using a CD.

4,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Thanks a bunch!
Check out WACOM's download site for the latest drivers. All you'll need to know is your OS and model number and they should give you all the necessary files. smile

5,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200
Odd, the small Bamboo is $69 on the wacom site but about $99 everywhere else. sweatdrop On that note, I have a graphire 2 which wacom has discontinued but works very well, I've had it since 2002, if you shop around you might be able to find one at a decent price. The drawing surface is a bit larger than the Bamboo and from what I've read, it didn't get as much criticism. It is an older model (the one with the usb is not slick looking) so I don't know if you'd go for that, but you could consider.
As far as install, you can just download the driver.

Rhine Elmao's Waifu

Extreme Garbage

You can download the drivers from Wacom's site, so you definitely don't need a CD drive. However if you get a tablet that comes with software like Photoshop Elements, then you're going to need a CD drive to be able to install those programs. You don't NEED the software, obviously. It's just a nice little extra.

An external CD drive is another option, but obviously it's going to cost extra. xD

4,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Thank you all so much!

@binkari: Okay, cool. I wasn't sure if I could do that. I didn't even know they had a download site. eek

@Dafty924: Maybe I can find a Graphire somewhere else- it sounds like it's worth looking into, so I might go check it out and/or see if there's a relatively cheap one floating around somewhere.

@Good Morning My Son: Yeah, it said the the tablet came with Corel Painter Essential 4.0, but I can just get another program from somewhere else. Depending on how costly the external CD drive is though I might see if I can afford it (although even if I can download the necessary installation stuff from online, having one just for general usage might come in handy).

Thanks again, you've all been a super huge help!
There's a very good chance that if you contact Wacom or the company that makes the software you're interested in (in this case Corel), you can download the software from them. Additionally, the "trial" version of software is often a full version that needs a serial code to be fully activated, and can be downloaded from the site then activated with the serial code from your disk. It's a good workaround for a damaged or absent optical drive. (I have done this, in fact, installing all of CS4 using the trial version when my drive failed halfway through installation.) So you likely wouldn't even need the external drive for anything.

4,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Vicemage: Alright, thanks! I'm not so interested in Corell (I don't really know much about it) it was just what was listed as an added feature that came with the tablet. And don't worry- if I have any problems with anything, I most certainly will contact the company responsible.
And thank goodness I can download it online, too. I think I would have exploded from frustration if nobody had told me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff