Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm not that wonderful at history, despite the fact it can be rather interesting granted you have found the right subject.
I'm writing about vampires; and I like to have a much greater and deeper understanding for what times were like when they were human.
Even if my writers don't know all of the information...I like to treat my characters like they're real.
This includes giving them good history.
However, when it comes to vampires, especially old ones, they usually come from many, many centuries ago.
Such as...one vampire is probably going to be human in the 12th century.
Problem is, I can't find any good information on people in the 12th century. I have an understanding of their fashion, thanks to Wiki, but I can't find much on what they were like, living conditions, and information such as this.
Can anyone help? :[
Mandamonium
I'm not that wonderful at history, despite the fact it can be rather interesting granted you have found the right subject.
I'm writing about vampires; and I like to have a much greater and deeper understanding for what times were like when they were human.
Even if my writers don't know all of the information...I like to treat my characters like they're real.
However, when it comes to vampires, especially old ones, they usually come from many, many centuries ago.
Problem is, I can't find any good information on people in the 12th century. I have an understanding of their fashion, thanks to Wiki, but I can't find much on what they were like, living conditions, and information such as this.

I can help. What about the 12th century do you need to know (and where?)

I know a lot of vampires myths too, but you're free to play around with them and there's hundred worldwide.
Sadira Commands you
Mandamonium

I can help. What about the 12th century do you need to know (and where?)

I know a lot of vampires myths too, but you're free to play around with them and there's hundred worldwide.

Where: France.
I would very much like to know what homes were like in the 12th century, how people acted, what the role is of the women in the home, how people were treated, and how the "high-class/rich" were treated over those lower than them. Pretty much anything I can learn about the people. Not specific names, just people in general.

I play around with vampire myths a lot. I'm always trying to make vampires more logical.
However, they're illogical no matter what you do to them. xD
I have a vampire encyclopedia.
Mandamonium

Where: France.
I would very much like to know what homes were like in the 12th century, how people acted, what the role is of the women in the home, how people were treated, and how the "high-class/rich" were treated over those lower than them. Pretty much anything I can learn about the people. Not specific names, just people in general.

I play around with vampire myths a lot. I'm always trying to make vampires more logical.
However, they're illogical no matter what you do to them. xD
I have a vampire encyclopedia.

Homes: Pretty crappy. The poor lived in houses made of thick timbers and and roofed with pitch-covered hay, a huge fire hazard. The rich lived in drafty castle-forts or just big elaborate houses that were also fire hazards, they could just afford fire in a fireplace more often (it was outside fire that was the problem).

How people acted: That's pretty broad. People tended to remember you and many people were nice and helped strangers, but then there were also thieves, pickpockets and murderers who could take advantage of people and the lack of intelligence. Only clergy could read back then and they were very superstitious.

France was fighting Britain back then and France was smaller, most of it was British territory.

Roles of women: Be a virgin on your first wedding night, don't talk back, sew, clean, don't blaspheme, pop out babies. Cover your hair unless you're a whore. Same with keeping it long. Usually this applied to singing in public too.

How you were treated: it depended on your race and class and their race and class.

Highclass/low cass: High class could do a lot. They had money and tended to own the land and people and even when they didn't own people, they still had money. They were given a ot more respect and could shoo lower class people out of the way.

If you want anything else, you'll just have to narrow it down.
Sadira Commands you
Homes: Pretty crappy. The poor lived in houses made of thick timbers and and roofed with pitch-covered hay, a huge fire hazard. The rich lived in drafty castle-forts or just big elaborate houses that were also fire hazards, they could just afford fire in a fireplace more often (it was outside fire that was the problem).

How people acted: That's pretty broad. People tended to remember you and many people were nice and helped strangers, but then there were also thieves, pickpockets and murderers who could take advantage of people and the lack of intelligence. Only clergy could read back then and they were very superstitious.

France was fighting Britain back then and France was smaller, most of it was British territory.

Roles of women: Be a virgin on your first wedding night, don't talk back, sew, clean, don't blaspheme, pop out babies. Cover your hair unless you're a whore. Same with keeping it long. Usually this applied to singing in public too.

How you were treated: it depended on your race and class and their race and class.

Highclass/low cass: High class could do a lot. They had money and tended to own the land and people and even when they didn't own people, they still had money. They were given a ot more respect and could shoo lower class people out of the way.

If you want anything else, you'll just have to narrow it down.

Now I understand why a lot of people try not to think about their character's history TOO much if they were born a long time ago. xD A lot of things to consider.

Women pretty much had (at least it seems) the same role for centuries. Housewife, maid, and meant to bear men children!

Would you, personally, find it at all believable (if vampires existed, at least) that a woman would be turned in this time?
Odd question, I know. I just like having opinions. :]
Mandamonium

Would you, personally, find it at all believable (if vampires existed, at least) that a woman would be turned in this time?

Well, they were often victims in many legends, so yes. They're easy prey, get sick often, sometimes are REALLY ignored.
Sadira Commands you
Mandamonium

Well, they were often victims in many legends, so yes. They're easy prey, get sick often, sometimes are REALLY ignored.

This is true. I guess I didn't think about that. That they were prey.
However, my problem is, if women are such slaves...the reason why a vampire would give them such power baffles me.

Realize my vampires are changed by not just being bitten, but need to be fed the blood of a vampire.
So biting and leaving them alive wouldn't do anything.
Mandamonium

However, my problem is, if women are such slaves...the reason why a vampire would give them such power baffles me.

Realize my vampires are changed by not just being bitten, but need to be fed the blood of a vampire.

Several reasons. They want to piss off the man of the house. They want someone who will more easily get to the man of the house. Women weren't expected to be threats, so if she played her cards right, she could easily make it look like a monster was after her and got her husband or blame him (wife beating was a serious scandal and women acting out of place was a thing for the authorities). Or, heck, kicks.
Sadira Commands you
Mandamonium

Several reasons. They want to piss off the man of the house. They want someone who will more easily get to the man of the house. Women weren't expected to be threats, so if she played her cards right, she could easily make it look like a monster was after her and got her husband or blame him (wife beating was a serious scandal and women acting out of place was a thing for the authorities). Or, heck, kicks.

Also very true.
Not to mention, I'm sure that not everybody has the same personality and views.
I know people are much different today, but we're all filled with different beliefs and opinions.
Even if it isn't very widespread and common in the past, there has to be that black sheep somewhere, no?
Mandamonium

Also very true.
Not to mention, I'm sure that not everybody has the same personality and views.
I know people are much different today, but we're all filled with different beliefs and opinions.
Even if it isn't very widespread and common in the past, there has to be that black sheep somewhere, no?

Actually, the world wasn't too fond of black sheep. Gays weren't tolerated until two centuries later and people still occasionally killed a redheaded kid out of superstition back then.

There were some people who certainly respected their wives and wives who had been married more than the man soon showed them they knew thing or two about sex.
Sadira Commands you
Actually, the world wasn't too fond of black sheep. Gays weren't tolerated until two centuries later and people still occasionally killed a redheaded kid out of superstition back then.

There were some people who certainly respected their wives and wives who had been married more than the man soon showed them they knew thing or two about sex.

Pft, in this day and age "black sheep" can be looked down on. But just because they weren't fond of, doesn't mean they didn't exist. Not like minds could be read. No one could possibly know if someone disagreed with another's way or opinion.

I would imagine a vampire, being immortal and all powerful, wouldn't give two shits about the laws of the world. Not like they could be easily killed by a human. Even if crosses, garlic, and stakes really work. But that's just my opinion. If I were a vampire and I could kill someone so easily, I wouldn't care about others opinions either. xD
Mandamonium

Pft, in this day and age "black sheep" can be looked down on. But just because they weren't fond of, doesn't mean they didn't exist. Not like minds could be read. No one could possibly know if someone disagreed with another's way or opinion.

True, but this only works if you keep your mouth shut.

Mandamonium
I would imagine a vampire, being immortal and all powerful, wouldn't give two shits about the laws of the world. Not like they could be easily killed by a human. Even if crosses, garlic, and stakes really work. But that's just my opinion. If I were a vampire and I could kill someone so easily, I wouldn't care about others opinions either. xD

But do consider that these ones used to be human. Just because you're now a vampire wouldn't change you from becoming a republican, or a hippy, maybe a Buddhist.
Sadira Commands you
Mandamonium

True, but this only works if you keep your mouth shut.

Mandamonium

But do consider that these ones used to be human. Just because you're now a vampire wouldn't change you from becoming a republican, or a hippy, maybe a Buddhist.

Depending on your age. Some vampires are so old they lose touch with their humanity.

At least...this is how my vampires usually are. Or how I imagine them. While you might be thinking of legend, I'm going by personal beliefs. D: Sorry if that's the case.
Mandamonium
Or how I imagine them. While you might be thinking of legend, I'm going by personal beliefs. D: Sorry if that's the case.

No, that works. Some vampires are never human at all according to legend. It's your story. If they go nuts or just go '******** it, I like women who can hack heads off as company' tha'ts just artistic license. Having several townsfolk do that isn't.

I hope that made sense.
Sadira Commands you
Mandamonium
Or how I imagine them. While you might be thinking of legend, I'm going by personal beliefs. D: Sorry if that's the case.

No, that works. Some vampires are never human at all according to legend. It's your story. If they go nuts or just go '******** it, I like women who can hack heads off as company' tha'ts just artistic license. Having several townsfolk do that isn't.

I hope that made sense.

It did.
But that's actually very helpful to know. It helps make my story more believable and around the legend. :]
I like to be as accurate and believable as possible. Sloppy details piss me off.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff