Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was wondering what people do to get themselves into the writing frame of mind, or if they just have a time/place or just when inspiration hits you? I've seen a few writers guilds on here but they all seem a bit lack lustre with their response and memberships and I don't know if I should join one. I have had one while I was at college, and I go back soon in about 2 months but I want to show them something and at the moment I just want to discuss and talk and brainstorm but I have no-one around and no drive to do it.

Bits to discuss:
What motivates you to write?
What situation do you find it easiest to write?
Are you part of a group in real life who write, would you recommend it?
Are you part of an on-line group, would you recommend that?
Is there anything that you find generally helps with getting inspiration and improving motivation?
Does discussion with friends help or just hinder how you write?

/Winters
What motivates you to write? I want to

Whatever I think of

I'm not a part of anything.

Is there anything that you find generally helps with getting inspiration and improving motivation?

By ******** doing it.

Does discussion with friends help or just hinder how you write? Both. I can't write while I talk, but I can plan a bit and figure out some important bits
The best way to get motivated and inspired to write is to actually write. By doing this and writing stories that aren't boring, you'll want to write them. You'll get inspired by doing it.

You don't need inspiration to write. You don't even need motivation. Sometimes you just have to buckle down and get it done.
Sir Icehawk
The best way to get motivated and inspired to write is to actually write. By doing this and writing stories that aren't boring, you'll want to write them. You'll get inspired by doing it.

You don't need inspiration to write. You don't even need motivation. Sometimes you just have to buckle down and get it done.

totally agree with this. You just have to write, every day. There is a bit of a myth, an idea of some creative genius who's work came from a bolt of inspiration. In reality, every great piece of writing came from a lot of hard work and discipline. Sure, at times you may feel 'inspired', but if you only write when you feel inspired your work will never be completed.
Anything and everything. A conversation I hear could become part of my story. An exprience I've had can be reflected in it. I've even had just a friend's respone to my writing be inspiration to write some more.
Okay, I'm confused. Are you asking in the context of the book (like actual storyline) or conditions under which you're writing? If the latter, I find it easiest to write in nice private space, with music and a comfy chair. I don't like being interrupted when I'm writing.
If you consider talking with fellow friends that are writers too, then yes I'm part of a group, and yes I would suggest it cause it's fun especially if everyone knows everyone else's stories.
Nope not part of an online group.
For inspiration, er, not really. Ideas just usually come to me. If they're good, I hold on to them, if they're bad I just let the go. Motivation... well, for me it's just the idea of I have no clue what my characters are going to do next and I want to find out. Or I'm just sick of having writer's block so I sit down and write.
There's only one person I really bounce my ideas for my story off of and that's my sister. I find that it helps because she can add her input about ideas she likes and what she doesn't like. Some of my biggest plot holes have been fixed because I talked to her. It really just depends on you.
Jeez, that was a lot to write for a post.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
What motivates you to write?

Usually seeing somthing, reading, or just built up creative energy that has nowhere to go. And a good topic to write about...

I like to be somplace where I can listen to music and not have people badger me and ask me what Im doing.

Yes, my best freind and I have cowrote several stories.

Its a little harder online. Im generally a private person.

Talking with my best freind, reading her stories, or rereading one of my fav books.

Does discussion with friends help or just hinder how you write?

Its helps alot. My whole outcome depends on their feedback.
I have always wanted to take part of an offline group. I even looked for one, but Delaware is a terribly small state with little stuff to do.
I usually get in the writing mood by role playing. It is pretty much the ONLY way to get me out of writer's block.
Plus that motivates me more to create and develop characters.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff