Welcome to Gaia! ::

please attempt to ignore my horrible grammatical errors. xp thank you . I appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism 3nodding

{Title}: My Escape
{Plot}: Taking place during the early 1920s in Ireland after gaining freedom from England. Ireland is rebuilding itself from a shortage of funds, replacing damaged buildings, and there being many casualties from the war. One of these casualties being Ronan’s father and with his mother’s strange disappearance soon after him being born, he has only a faint memory and a picture to remind him of his parents. With both of them gone he is forced to live with his “cold” grandparents. Later going into the house his mother lived in when she was younger but he was always forbidden to enter. Finding out this house only has one room and a small wooden box with an inscription on the back stating “I believe it is a place where gods of death play and the spiritually, mentally, or physically dead stay. Many spirits through tragedy or sin are bound to this realm and only will be seen by the living when the supernatural wall grows thin. Your strongest emotion while entering this parallel world will bear effect and if you die here, in the human world you shall also be laid to rest. In the end…here your true self will be revealed whether you’re a wretch or someone truly kind, here your fate will be sealed. ~ Dream Demon Lilith...Inside the box there is an amulet and on it is written “nothing is as it seems.”
This isn't a full story idea, it's the barest whiff of a beginning. Also, please use paragraph breaks! This was rather challenging to read and parse.

However, I do rather like what you have there -- Ireland in the 20s is a fascinating place and Irish mythology and folklore are excellent as a foundation for fantasy, especially if you want more of a horror vibe.

Now, I have two quibbles with what you've got:

-- I'm not so sure about the demon's name. While Lilith is indeed Biblical apocrytha and thus is thematically appropriate for a story in the very Catholic Ireland, she might seem out of place if you base the rest of the spiritual world on Irish mythology (given that you seem to be going with the "places have memory" thing from Irish folklore, I assume this is how it'd go). While a grab-bag approach to basing stories on mythology can work very well -- like in American Gods -- sometimes it's better to keep things consistent.

This is all silly conjecture, since I don't know more about the spiritual realm in the story, so it might be totally irrelevant.

-- Are you going to make the initial setting -- 1920s Ireland -- important? A lot of stories like this seem to go entirely off the rails and ignore the real world. It'd be very interesting to see a fantasy story woven around 20s Ireland.

Okay, as to what you haven't got:

-- what happens to the boy?

-- how does this other realm, the world of the dead, work?

-- who or what is the main antagonist and what is driving them? (Okay, if the antagonist is death or nature or the uncaring universe, it doesn't have to have a motivation. All other antagonists probably should).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff