Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Bloodsucker

5,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
I don't feel I know enough about it to have an opinion on it so can someone please tell me all about what exactly it is and what it'll provide and/or take away.

Also I don't really care if you're a democrat or a republican ultimately (Though my lifestyle does nudge me more towards the liberal side on occasion.) I just want to see what you say in response from every side so I can have a real opinion on it, outside of hearing just one side or worse, not knowing at all.
My thoughts about this exactly.. It seems like everyone is in an uproar about this
Yet I don't understand why. Isn't free health care a good thing?
My cousins and grandma couldn't afford it before.
Why is everyone so upset about it?

Paradawgs's Husbando

Shameless Man-Lover

Pierduta
My thoughts about this exactly.. It seems like everyone is in an uproar about this
Yet I don't understand why. Isn't free health care a good thing?
My cousins and grandma couldn't afford it before.
Why is everyone so upset about it?

Beacuse they're little children, who wants to keep everything to themself and don't like to share.
The Good
1. It makes insurance companies cover preexisting conditions for children.
2. Even though it is a high risk pool, Americans with preexisting conditions have a chance to buy insurance immediately. In 2014, it will be completely illegal for insurance companies to deny people with preexisting conditions.
3. Immediately prohibits the practice of rescission, which is when an insurance company said they would cover you, should have covered you, but denies payment anyway.
4. Begins to close the "donut hole" for senior citizens' prescription drugs. Essentially Medicare is currently set up so that your cheapest meds are covered, and your most expensive ones are covered, but there is a hole in the middle where meds are not covered. This provision aims to fix that.
5. Offers tax benefits to small businesses to purchase coverage.
6. Eliminates lifetime limits and restricts annual limits on health care coverage.
7. Requires plans to cover dependents until age 26.
8. Requires new plans to cover preventive services without cost sharing.
9. Provides an appeals process for decisions made by insurance companies.
10. Requires insurance companies to spend XX% of the money taken in to go towards health care (not overhead costs).

The Bad
1. Requires (though a fine or tax credit, I think) all Americans to have insurance, or to buy insurance.
2. DOES NOT provide a cheaper public option to buy health insurance.
3. DOES NOT change our current system, where payment is FOR PROFIT. This means that insurance companies are still in charge, and it is their responsibility to to make as much money as possible (bringing in the most money on premiums, and paying out the least bit of money).
4. A provision that would have let the government control how much the insurance companies can increase premiums was taken OUT. While this is questionable on the level of government involvement, but remember that at least we would be able to have a conversation about getting real cost control, which is the main problem for middle class Americans. Taking this provision out means that there is very little the government can do to reform the system, and since we're on it:
5. Does very little overall to regulate insurance companies. This is a problem because most of the good points above can be swept away if the insurance companies fight them, hold them up, or even win out over them. Note numbers 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, and in particular number 9. The fine for, say, denying someone with a preexisting condition is something like $100 a day, I think. If you do the math, that means that it could cost up to $36,500 per year to pay that fine for one person, but if a treatment is $50,000 over one WEEK, including long terms costs for medication, hospital visits, or rehabilitation, which option is the company going to choose?

I know I got a little preachy there are the end, but the main opposition that gets covered by the media is that from right, even though those people like to quote the disapproval for the bill, which SURELY includes several liberal like myself who feel that this is just a giant band-aid over a gaping wound rather a real solution to the problem.
Well, the most I know about free health care is that the Republicans don't want it because they're sure that the United States doesn't have the sufficient amount of money to do this.
Mr Jawes
. Great Summary of Points .

Beautiful. :3 I've been looking for a good summary of the major points. You did a decent job of maintaining an unbiased opinion, too, although... It still pokes through. >.> Thank you, though!
Well, at least it is a step in the right direction. Right?

I mean, its not perfect but. It's a step.
I second the OP. I don't feel I know enough about it to have a full opinion. And about half of what I hear on the issue is just name calling... So, it's really nice to come into a thread in this forum and not find any name calling. Mr Jawes seemed to give a good summary, but is there anything to be added, edited or taken away? confused
PillOrgasm
Well, the most I know about free health care is that the Republicans don't want it because they're sure that the United States doesn't have the sufficient amount of money to do this.

No. In fact, there's quite a few ideas from them in the bill - methinks they only hate it because the Dems proposed it.
It shields against discrimination from preexisting medical conditions, and persons of all ages.
I think that's a huge benefit.
Everything has flaws, though, and nothing's perfect.
I really don't see the big fuss.
Of course, I've been in some situations where I've been pushed aside because of 'preexisting' medical conditions and because of age, leaving hefty bills to pay.
[.The.Flying.Potato.]
Mr Jawes
. Great Summary of Points .

Beautiful. :3 I've been looking for a good summary of the major points. You did a decent job of maintaining an unbiased opinion, too, although... It still pokes through. >.> Thank you, though!
Well, obviously I have an opinion if I am listing them as good vs. bad 3nodding

But the "good" list actually comes from a conservative blogger, if I remember correctly. The negative list is more from the liberal backlash to what the bill does (or as it were, DOESN'T do).
Forfax
Well, at least it is a step in the right direction. Right?

I mean, its not perfect but. It's a step.
Except that it's still a sellout to the insurance companies, and the mandate GIVES the insurance companies 31 million new customers. There's some good intent, but it's still a bandage over a wound, rather than a real fix. The only good thing that we can take out of it is that the "good" points that I listed WILL NOT BE REVOKED, at least not without a thunderous backlash from the American people. Just imagine if someone tried to repeal Social Security or Medicare eek

PillOrgasm
If that were the case, the Republicans would be FOR the public option. The CBO said that the PO would actually reduce the deficit over time.

Also, the Republicans are for military spending, which is one of the most inefficient expenditures by the US Government.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff