Welcome to Gaia! ::

Everyone needs help right?
i'm opening this fourm for the sake of all us rising manga-ka who needs help or advice... like me?
come on pro's share your advice and help us beginners get up there.
raise your hand if you need help!
OH me-me-meeee! MEEEEE! *raises hand and jumps up and down*
OMG I need so much help sad sad sad I don't even know Japanese! And I'm NOT Japanese! Is there any help for me??????
oh golly guys i drew this really good manga, it's about me, except my name is Yumi and I live in Tokyo and i have to make a love confession to the new transfer student in my class, waaaaah~

how do i show it to japan??? i want to have a job as a mangaka before i move there
i have a dream too, it is to eat japan

t he whole country,how do i do this plz give advice
| ♂ I Every child is an artist.

-too busy laughing over the sarcastic responses to give one of my own-
Not that I have any right to give one. sweatdrop

The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.| ♂ |

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I'm the bestest manga-ka in de world. I will be writing the next story arc arch for a famous mangaka.

In all seriousness, um. Best advice I can give is never enter a contest run by Tokyopop.

:< Yo, Rae.

You know, I've realized half the people who become Tokyopop artists...get one book out, and then never finish their series.

I need to go catch up on Avalon. -flail-

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Raezyn101

:< Yo, Rae.

You know, I've realized half the people who become Tokyopop artists...get one book out, and then never finish their series.

I need to go catch up on Avalon. -flail-

Not the only reason, but yes, certainly something to consider.

heart

If I ever had anything to publish, I'd be more for self-publishing myself, anywho.
I'm too easily broken by criticism because of my seriously low self-esteem..I could never publish and get the whole 1-5 star thing from Amazon or such. -dies-

-curious how Tokyopop is screwing over their artists-
Time for Google. 8D

Sparkly Unicorn

9,800 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Timid 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
i wanna be a mangaka! crying

Fatcat

Ah, here are some of my samples...
{x}{x}{x}{x}{x}{x}

I am Japanese-Korean (50%, 50%) and I need to take Japanese lessons. >_> Haha, but I am going to become a manga-ka!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel that by saying 'I want to become one', it is the same as saying 'I hope I'll become one' or 'Maybe'. Yeah. NO MAYBE's FOR ME!!!

biggrin Any tips are welcome...hm...

For anyone who wants to become a manga-ka, I suppose I'll say this (even though I'm not one):

---> Please, make sure that what you want isn't just some passing desire to go to Japan and draw. I know lots of Caucasians (not to be racist) who have said they want to become manga-ka...the next year, they don't care. So...yeah.

---> Er...practice! biggrin Practice makes perfect, or so they say...>_>

---> NEVER GIVE UP!!! I've read tons of stories about manga-ka who weren't accepted by a publishing company at first, but they ended up publishing series, sometimes even more than one!! xd So you can never give up!!!

---> Make sure that manga art is the medium you want to use. If you don't like to draw period, what are you doing here...? xd I really am not trying to be mean!!! But there's a difference between 'loving to doodle' and 'loving to draw'.

Okay, I'm out...haha, yeah. My real name is Yumi, given to me by my dad...my last name is Tanaka...I'm not joking.

As a side note: Everyone would do well to post samples of work for critique. While you might as well just post new topics with requests for advice, since this thread already exists...yeah, might as well? It also would help people who want to give advice give advice > biggrin

Fatcat

IronSpike
oh golly guys i drew this really good manga, it's about me, except my name is Yumi and I live in Tokyo and i have to make a love confession to the new transfer student in my class, waaaaah~

how do i show it to japan??? i want to have a job as a mangaka before i move there

Haha, I want to read it~ Since my real name is Yumi. biggrin
But I dunno if you can show it to Japan yet...haha. Yeah. In order to be a manga-ka, you definitely probably have to go to Japan, unless you're going to be an American-based manga-ka. You can browse around for some manga publishing companies (e.g. Shojo Beat, Shonen Jump) online and see if they'll accept you...

But if anything's for sure, it's this.

You'd better know how to read AND write Japanese FLUENTLY. While speaking English is cool and all, it's even COOLER if what you're drawing is in their native tongue. What if some French dude just came over to America and started publishing comics in French? Would you really be able to enjoy the comic to its full extent?

So before even worrying about publishing, worry about learning the language. You got that down? Assess your talent. While it's cruel to say this, it'd be best if you at least went to an art school first. Why? Because if not, it's like hiring a self-proclaimed 'artist' off the street. Sure, you might have some talent, but you might as well fine tune it before applying. Plus, there is a TON of competition out there. You want to become a manga-ka? SO DOES A LOT OF TEENS OVER IN JAPAN. It's not as simple as waking up and getting on a plane to apply. It's work, tears, sweat, pain, and sacrifice - plus lack of hygiene, sleep, and (in some cases) family controversy. (Even more tears and pain.) And, sadly to say, I think that Japan would have priority over their native-borns than the Americans coming in from...well, America. Japan isn't America. Even I, as a Japanese-Korean-American, am worried about this, even if my father is a full Japanese and his father was an official there. So, think about that. (Not trying to be mean~) A lot of things are different here, and a lot of things are different there; that's another thing to consider. Are you okay with having to use a completely different currency? Are you okay with speaking a very different language? Living by a different standard? Having few, if any, acquaintances? It's basically like uprooting a tree - everything's going to be different, from the air quality to the soil.

My advice to you: Think about this. A LOT. biggrin It might just be better to stay over in America. Not trying to discourage you, like I said, this is just my advice. You would probably have a better chance (though, with all the people hoping to become a manga-ka, you still would have quite a bit of competition...so seriously consider art school. Although they say that you can become a manga-ka's assistant first, it can still take a while for you to be able to start your own manga...then you'd have to hire your own assistants...).
> biggrin So good luck, everybody! Hope all aspiring manga-ka's read this thread!
And if any of this info is wrong...well, just feel free to criticize...

Sparkly Unicorn

9,800 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Timid 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
great advice Yumi! your drawings are really good too 3nodding
here's some avatar art I've done that's my favorite so far http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff236/elfmaiden16/Rahmirasigcopy.jpg (theres more in my photobucket album)
I'm interested in being a mangaka, but I'm in America and I'm also new to the manga style. I'm still trying to figure out my career, but manga is definitely an option!
(I'm signing up for a Japanese language class next semester, yay!) whee

Fatcat

Rahmira
great advice Yumi! your drawings are really good too 3nodding
here's some avatar art I've done that's my favorite so far http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff236/elfmaiden16/Rahmirasigcopy.jpg (theres more in my photobucket album)
I'm interested in being a mangaka, but I'm in America and I'm also new to the manga style. I'm still trying to figure out my career, but manga is definitely an option!
(I'm signing up for a Japanese language class next semester, yay!) whee

xD Thanks~ That makes me really happy! 3nodding

That. Is. Nice. I like the clothes 8D
Um...here's my advice (feel free to give me some too~)

Proportions. If you look, the body is 'bent out of shape'.
    Feet...um...they shouldn't look like that. Er...how to say...it just shouldn't look like that. (I don't draw feet often though so...xD)
    The arms aren't bent, and...well, let's put it this way. Take this pose. There is a bend to your arm at the elbow; it doesn't just curve down.
    The waist is a too thin...
    (Not to be mean), what are those lines under her collar? If those are the collarbone (lol), then they should be lower.
    Practice with hair and face~

I did like:

The pose. It is pretty classic~
      The expression on the girl's face. She kinda looks like "..."
      The little demon chibi~ rofl I love it :3
      Shading. I just am not good at that.
      The attention to details biggrin

Again, I'm not trying to be mean. Looking back, a lot of what I said was kind of harsh (well, in my eyes anyway). But really, please do the same for me~ And be as harsh as you like. >: D

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff