Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello every body,I'm going to try and make a short 32 page comic in 3D but I'd like a little advice and input before I embark on this task.

The first thing I'd like to ask is what size should each page be? The one I have here is a quarter the size of a stranded sheet of copy paper. Due to screen resolution differences you may see it as larger than that. I have the original file saved on my computer. That file is twice as big.

Also the comic's host location. I've heard there are a number of places out there to host a comic, or I could host it on my personal web page. There are pros and cons to each, I think.

I know the speech bubbles need work, but I'm not sure what direction to take them. A little advice here would be good as well.

And now, here are my samples!

This was the first real test image. Isn't he CUTE?
User Image

Here is a test with text. I DO like how the words are clear and there are no unsightly blobs of disruptive word balloon.
User Image

And lastly the test comic page. I like how the characters came out.
User Image

And to show case the range of expressions, here are two robots.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
that's pretty weird... sweatdrop
You would be much better off drawing it by hand, especially in such a simple style. I believe KayJKay has the specifics of why 3D takes longer than traditional and is not worth the effort, but suffice to say that it's not as simple as you think it would be.

Further, the range of expressions is limited and they all look staged. That's not good enough, for a comic. It amounts to slightly fancier copy-paste.
I don't know that all of the work involved in making a 3D comic would be worth it for only 32 pages.

However for an example of a 3D comic done very much right, check out the Dreamland Chronicles
@ Hippeh Panda: Ohhh, I've read the dream land chronicles! Very good. Thank you, Hippeh Panda.

@ Zee Coldwater: As to the 3D taking longer, I can't say that's true for me. While I went TO FAST on this example page I know from personal experience it takes me a LOT less time to do some thing 3D than it does to do a drawing. Because of this it never occurred to me that 3D would take longer. XD

I AM competent in hand drawing however and I will test both out.

As for the expressions. . . I'm not sure I share your opinion, but I will keep that in mind. I would love an example of 2D expressions for me to look at if you could provide some. ^_^

Thank you for the input, Zee Coldwater.

@ Mythical_Artist: It was just a dream. smile

Fluffy Wolf

14,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Edward 100
Well it's definitly different. I have to say I actually like the idea.
3D rendered comics have this problem in that they look pretty ridiculous when trying to show any kind of action whatsoever. Everything looks so stiff and uninteresting and tends to dip into the uncanny valley.
3D comics require the same talents that any other form of 3D rendering does: modeling, texturing, lighting, rigging, etc.

You appear to have none of these, so you should probably try something else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff