Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rucka's run had the Invisible Jet.

Just tossin' it out there...
ScottyQuick
Just regarding Pinder's bit about how if you're writing Diana like Hercules, it seems like you're making a big statement about women - why not make the Big Three into the Big Four? Bring in Renee Montoya, or maybe Barbara Gordon, both of whom are very different then Diana, both have very different places and abilities then the other Three, and that way Diana doesn't have to helm every gender issue by her lonesome.

the problem with a fourth is they have to be more distinct from the three. Renee and Barbara are basically variations of Batman

Quote:
I think it might have been misunderstood in my last post but I was asking to lose the made from clay origin (which I still think needs to be dropped) not the Greek Mythology background.

besides being one of her unique points, It helps explain the no father bit.

Quote:

If someone ever made the invisible jet work, I'd have to follow their writing for all time. It's not that I'm opposed to a magic vs. Technology theme, but why would someone with gifts from the Gods need a jet? And the image in my head of her flying around in an invisible one just seems too campy.

originally she couldn't fly and it being ww2 fighter planes were on people minds.

my idea for it is it was a "gift" from Aries. The very Plane he tries to destroy the island with purified by Diana's lasso and then given to her as his gift. (each grecoroman god or at least the major ones having been required to give her one by Zeus and Hera.)

oh by the way
Querl Dox
And thusly is the problem of Wonder Woman and sexual politics demonstrated.

No, the problem has nothing to do with Diana and everything to do with my unbearable cheek.

Doreen Green GLI
Because Hindu anti-defamation groups were not pleased with how their actively-worshipped gods were portrayed.

Oversensitive bastards. Besides the fact that Christians deal with blasphemy for shits and giggles every day of the week without threatening comic books, you won't see me launching a lawsuit over Xena: Warrior Princess.
Sorce
Rucka's run had the Invisible Jet.

Just tossin' it out there...

Well, I'm already following anything Rucka. Unfortunately, I don't think even Rucka can make me like the invisible jet.
Folks seem to forget that, for a while, Wonder Woman had her own INVISIBLE FLYING FORTRESS BASE. It was called the "Hippodrome," if I recall correctly.
Giabrenna
Folks seem to forget that, for a while, Wonder Woman had her own INVISIBLE FLYING FORTRESS BASE. It was called the "Hippodrome," if I recall correctly.
If I were writing Wonder Woman, I would bring that back. Like yesterday.
I think that with all of the rewrites that Wonder woman has had, i don't think we should focus on rewriting her past to make her outfit make sense. When they rewrite the pasts during odd moments it just seems like something unneeded. If you really want to change up a character then have them go through something tramatic.

Though really, within the comic world I don't think it really matters how old you are. The dozens of writers would just throw something in there to make you go, 'Huh? But I thought that dude was like 80 now." How old is batman? Really? Bruce has got to be in his 70s by now and yet he isn't really looking it.

I could see Zee helping Wonder Woman in there. Though you seem to be focusing on your favorate characters in there, Kate. Isn't Dinah close with WW? Not saying I didn't like your idea, I loved it. Though, I would like the feel more of some of her teammates or other Amazons within that story. Maybe make it a long drawn out story, where Diana goes through something and her friends come together to help her out. Joint front could bring about more feeling to a story. Maybe not a lot of individuals but enough to make it seem like Diana has a few good friends to fall back on. Needing others, could make her seem more human and realistic.

Whatever happened with Diana getting over killing someone? Everywhere I looked for awhile it was brought up and then suddenly it seemed like it faded into the background. Did she ever deal with the emotions that killing a living being would do to her or was it just gone in a blink of an eye?
Ms Chastity Marks
If you really want to change up a character then have them go through something tramatic.

No. That's just ******** stupid. Trauma is anything but necessary for change, it's just cheap and lazy tactics. And the last damn thing Diana needs is more trauma.
Ms Chastity Marks
I think that with all of the rewrites that Wonder woman has had, i don't think we should focus on rewriting her past to make her outfit make sense. When they rewrite the pasts during odd moments it just seems like something unneeded. If you really want to change up a character then have them go through something tramatic.

I think arriving during ww2 restores to the character a lot more than sense in her outfit

and the tramatic train of thought gives us Kilgore the Rapebarian and one more day.

Quote:
I could see Zee helping Wonder Woman in there. Though you seem to be focusing on your favorate characters in there, Kate. Isn't Dinah close with WW? Not saying I didn't like your idea, I loved it. Though, I would like the feel more of some of her teammates or other Amazons within that story. Maybe make it a long drawn out story, where Diana goes through something and her friends come together to help her out. Joint front could bring about more feeling to a story. Maybe not a lot of individuals but enough to make it seem like Diana has a few good friends to fall back on. Needing others, could make her seem more human and realistic.

Madame Xanadue and Diana's gods would also make sense to show up here

Quote:
Whatever happened with Diana getting over killing someone? Everywhere I looked for awhile it was brought up and then suddenly it seemed like it faded into the background. Did she ever deal with the emotions that killing a living being would do to her or was it just gone in a blink of an eye?

If you are refering to Maxwell Lord, it was more public backlash and strained relationships with the hero community. Between a manhunter storyarc and Infinite Crisis, that was mostly resolved
GLJordan
I think arriving during ww2 restores to the character a lot more than sense in her outfit [/green]

Ah, alright.

Though, isn't there a point where it's been done too many times? That's just my view.

Quote:
and the tramatic train of thought gives us Kilgore the Rapebarian and one more day.

I didn't mean that tramatic. More like something that happens giving her a reason for a change or the need for her friends help.

A group thing, I'm just too tired to focus on a meaningful beginning and I don't know her background story well enough. I was adding my opinions to the mix.

Quote:
Madame Xanadue and Diana's gods would also make sense to show up here
True, I wasn't sure which gods where more logical to be within the story. I believe I mentioned them.

Quote:
If you are refering to Maxwell Lord, it was more public backlash and strained relationships with the hero community. Between a manhunter storyarc and Infinite Crisis, that was mostly resolved

Yeah, I got tired of Infinite Crisis 2/3s of the way through. It's on my ever long growing to read list.

Thanks for the info. XD
when what has been done too many times?

Dangerous Visionary

Sorry I only read the OP but I have been meaning to read through and add my own two cents. However, before I forget again let me just sum up why I never really cared for WW.

1st and major issues with WW is: Her universe much like Superman's is pretty darn hard to follow for newcomers like myself!

Even reading her WIKI is confusing as all hell. I just don't get her or her world one little bit! I guess she is like Superman but then not really? Like I would like to at least understand the character and her world as she is pretty much the first female super hero right? I would like to support her if I wanted. I went to library and checked out some Wonder Woman comics and yeah they were just confusing. Even if they were new arch you just had to know too much already! Even reading collected stories was more than difficult for me. So I gave up. However, I just got into Batman and Superman after years of reading only Marvel comics and Manga. Yet I take them like a fish to water. If you make these guys easy understand but not the woman of DC?

Also, I think DC should do what Marvel did. Create "Ultimate series" for W. Woman. Like it or not Marvel's Ultimate series helped first time readers get into the major Marvel worlds (Hell I finally kind of got into FF for once) and was pretty fresh for some long time fans. (I'm kind of in the middle there) So I suggest getting a team of writers and artists together and just make a couple of series bring back Woman Woman to her roots and make it simple enough for first time viewers.

That's my suggestion as a newer DC reader.
Wasn't there a "Ultimate DC" thread floating around? I think there might have been several ideas displayed by forum goers for Wonder Woman...
Miss-dark8607
Sorry I only read the OP but I have been meaning to read through and add my own two cents. However, before I forget again let me just sum up why I never really cared for WW.

1st and major issues with WW is: Her universe much like Superman's is pretty darn hard to follow for newcomers like myself!

Even reading her WIKI is confusing as all hell. I just don't get her or her world one little bit! I guess she is like Superman but then not really? Like I would like to at least understand the character and her world as she is pretty much the first female super hero right? I would like to support her if I wanted. I went to library and checked out some Wonder Woman comics and yeah they were just confusing. Even if they were new arch you just had to know too much already! Even reading collected stories was more than difficult for me. So I gave up. However, I just got into Batman and Superman after years of reading only Marvel comics and Manga. Yet I take them like a fish to water. If you make these guys easy understand but not the woman of DC?

fashioned from clay and brought to life by the grecoroman gods, Diana, daughter of Queen Hippolyte, left her home to help make the outside world a better place.
she is a member of the Justice League of America.
Still struggling here to think of anything productive.
I keep getting stuck at how weird it is that I can't click with her...

SOME THINGS I LIKE
The 'Warrior Woman' archetype.
Behold all twelve Xena boxsets sat proudly on my shelf!
Identifying strongly with female heroes. From Babs to Emma, it tends to be the ladyfolk that I affiliate with as a reader.
The writing of Gail Simone and Greg Rucka.
The whole gay 'diva worship' thing. I am somewhat prone to this.
Mythology.
Kink.
Kinky Mythology.
Kitsch
Kinky Kitsch Mythology.

SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE
Wonder Woman.

Something isn't right here.

Katherine Kane

Were you aware of the fact that I am currently knee deep in that morass and losing my will to continue with every minute or is that another one of those savage synchronicities that plagues me?

The savage plague.

I'm fascinated by season six myself. It's awful, obviously, but it's probably one of the best and bravest ideas for a telly show I've seen. Watching how badly it's executed was heartbreaking for me at the time, but now is just an interesting and invaluable glimpse into the cracks in the Buffy Project.

RichardGraysonNightwing
What she needs, like I said, is a writer that knows her history and can blend it into who she's becoming now.

That's what she's got, but sadly her history is the problem.

Hartley Rathaway
I have thought for a long time now that there should be a Wonder Boy in the Legion of Superheroes.

Weirdly, the one story that keep floating into my brain when I try and approach this from a "What would I write?" angle is called Wonder Woman and the Cohort of Superheroes.

Scott Free
The big thing is that Wonder Woman's back story is completely unrelatable compared to Batman and Superman. Superman is an immigrant made good. Batman is a man who has taken a tragedy to become the pinnacle of humanity. What's Wonder Woman? Someone made from clay who came to a Man's world?

The origin actually provides a nifty way to make the Trinity make sense. Though again the gender politics are an obstacle, as going this way with Feminist Icon Wonder Woman would be a horrible thing to do.

But... You've got Superman, the god. You've got Batman, the human who's made himself into a god. Then you've got Wonder Woman, the thing that's made itself into a human.

The 'trinity' depicts the ladder by which base matter ascends to the divine!

Virgil Hawkins
I preface this by admitting I am really ******** drunk.

Give her a city. Get rid of Themiscrya. Get rid of ALL the Greek Gods stuff, Make her street level for a year, helping kids and rape victims and kittens in trees.

Although not drunk, I still managed to misread that as "helping kids rape victims and kittens in trees."

I wonder if giving her a city and making her street level might be more fun if we didn't get rid of Themiscrya, but just made it a bit more interesting and messy. Then made it the city.

Let's turn it into somewhere that feels like people live there. And conspire, and study, and buy and sell, and take holidays. It's a place that's been devastated and rebuilt - or taken out of the material plane and returned - dozens of times; it must be layered with the strata of civilisation and dusted with traces of heaven. It should be less like island-of-the-boring-people-who-stand-around-looking-statuesque, and more a complex island-based city state...

Some alleyways haven't been completely restored to materiality and those who walk those streets risk turning into ideas. The ghosts of desecrated temples drift through the night air, settling in open spaces or possesing mundane buildings, filling grocery stalls and kanga stables with a sudden and inexplicable sense of the ineffable.

Sinister forces work to reactivate the sleeper units of metahumans who've lain dormant since the secret Rome/Carthage superhero arms race in the first century BC. BDSM tourists in scintillating fetishware flock to the island's now welcoming shores, where they brush shoulders with the staff of the Tartarus Embassy and the teams of archeologists who're struggling to make sense of finds that carbon date as older than the universe.

I'm thinking of a tone somewhere between the Verinas/Pullo segments of Rome, World of New Krypton, Pretsky's later V. I. Warshawski novels and Prospero's Books.

Wonder Woman: BLOOD ON THE STREETS OF PARADISE!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff